• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

4 years 16mill for Brock

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the best route to go is to draft a CB high next year and let Culliver & whatever later-round CB or stop-gap guy battle it out for the other spot. Now that Brock is aboard, he might be that #2 guy.

Culliver is a guy I'd want the Niners to sign long term. He'd be worth the risk, and he'd probably come relatively cheap. JMHO.

In no point in his short career has Culliver played even close to as well as Brock has played this season. Brock has earned every dime of his new contract and will be completely fine as our starter moving forward. Brock has played as well as nearly any CB in coverage this season, granted that he hasn't played starter snaps, he has played a lot of snaps and has made the most of those opportunities.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That being said, I do want to draft a CB in the first couple of rounds this year. We also need a receiver high and a QB high. I would go in WR CB or CB WR in round 1 and 2 and use the other 2nd rounder on a QB.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Not a huge fan of Brock so not a huge fan of this signing.

I'm sure it's a contract where we can easily cut him and it's not like we just killed our cap with it.

Brock is just too hot and cold for my tastes at corner and sometimes he's on the ball like the Houston game and sometimes he just makes some really boneheaded moves like the TD he gave up in the Jags game.

Who knows though he's still young and it took Brown a few years before he became a strong starter so he might not have hit his ceiling yet and maybe Baalke is a genius for buying low on him.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a huge fan of Brock so not a huge fan of this signing.

I'm sure it's a contract where we can easily cut him and it's not like we just killed our cap with it.

Brock is just too hot and cold for my tastes at corner and sometimes he's on the ball like the Houston game and sometimes he just makes some really boneheaded moves like the TD he gave up in the Jags game.

Who knows though he's still young and it took Brown a few years before he became a strong starter so he might not have hit his ceiling yet and maybe Baalke is a genius for buying low on him.

There is no CB in the NFL that doesn't give up a play here and there. But he has been good a vast majority of the time this season. His play has been anything but hot and cold. I can't name 12 CB's who have played better consistently this season.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4 million for a 25 year old that is producing. Great deal. he might of got more on the open market. Great deal. 4 million a year is nothing for a starting CB. He will be the starter next year.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brock is in top 10 in CB coverage %. That is very good. At 1 point he was in the top 3. Brock is a very good player and he worked hard to get where he is. I like this from the front office. Shows again that we do the right thing when the player works hard and produces. It shows players that 49ers are loyal.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Plus now we have him and Cully at least for next year.
Rogers may not take a pay cut, Brown is in his final year, and Wright still has to show what he's got.

I like this move just on the basis of being an insurance policy. Still feel we need to draft a CB in the first two rounds of this years draft.

true on all points.

yeah now they have to see how Cully rebounds? easier said than done during the off-season, as opposed to real games.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Why? Is it the money? He isn't an elite corner but he's not getting paid like an elite corner. The number looks just about right in my opinion.

agree.

even if he's the 3rd CB, or comes in on passing downs, that contract is reasonable. today's 3rd CB plays a lot over the season.

he's not THAT old and has enough time with the 49ers. so they have been evaluating him for what, 3 seasons?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Because Brock is extremely replaceable. I don't like paying 4 million a season to a guy like that.

sometimes you don't appreciate what you've got, till their gone.

so what is Baalke to do, keep replacing CB's every year?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
That being said, I do want to draft a CB in the first couple of rounds this year. We also need a receiver high and a QB high. I would go in WR CB or CB WR in round 1 and 2 and use the other 2nd rounder on a QB.

agree. the order will obviously go by value, but that's the three positions to draft high.

believe in being far over to BPA side, even if this means another position from these. but since we can only go by Need now, that would be the top three.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
There is no CB in the NFL that doesn't give up a play here and there. But he has been good a vast majority of the time this season. His play has been anything but hot and cold. I can't name 12 CB's who have played better consistently this season.

yep, if Brock was "perfect", he'd command double this contract amount. he'd just hit the market and get a much larger contract.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
4 million for a 25 year old that is producing. Great deal. he might of got more on the open market. Great deal. 4 million a year is nothing for a starting CB. He will be the starter next year.

yep, he might get more on the open market as is?

not a LOT more, but enough for him to easily leave SF.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
sometimes you don't appreciate what you've got, till their gone.

so what is Baalke to do, keep replacing CB's every year?

If the alternative is signing a very replaceable CB to a large contract? Yes.

I'm not extremely upset about this move, but I'm not a fan of it either. I was hoping the starting CB tandem next year was going to be Bradley Roby from Ohio state & Vernon's little brother or DRC from Denver. If Brock is making 4 million, that's starter money. I now expect him to start next season. I'm not thrilled about that, but it could be a lot worse.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is 25 years old. This is great for the 49ers. He is an up and coming CB that has played great ball this year. I see nothing wrong with this move. Its only 4 million. Doesn't eat up any cap next year because we shred some cap after this year

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would say that this point I like Brock much better in coverage than Vonte Davis. He's much more technically sound IMO. DRC is pretty good but not worth the huge contract he is likely to get. I'll take Brock and whatever rookie that we draft.

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually like the signing. He's been a good player and better than Cully, for sure.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I would say that this point I like Brock much better in coverage than Vonte Davis. He's much more technically sound IMO. DRC is pretty good but not worth the huge contract he is likely to get. I'll take Brock and whatever rookie that we draft.

Agreed, but I would have waited a game to see how Brock performs against Garcon.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
brock has showed good instincts but can he cut it as a starter?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
brock has showed good instincts but can he cut it as a starter?

again, he's not a rookie. he's been with SF and has played in games, so its not like signing a rookie who hasn't gotten into camp. if you wait till you know for sure he's a starter, he'll be gone after this season. he'll start for someone else and we'll be hoping a rookie will step in and be good from game 1.

there is no guarantee signing most players, even the good ones. no guarantee they play to their contracts, but at some point you have to make a decision.