• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: 4.17 Sanchy @ Fish

pachyderm

kick assery king
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice to see Duvall continuing to play in the big leagues. He does seem a bit underrated.

jesus christ Duvall sucks.

give it a rest.

;)

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair enough, that was a gut punch. Still, I'll take 2 bad days out of like 14.
Was thinking about that this morning. I wouldn't accept a bullpen meltdown and blown save every week. That would be a mediocre, at best, bullpen. You'd be looking at 25ish BS. Nope, no bueno.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair enough, that was a gut punch. Still, I'll take 2 bad days out of like 14.

Was thinking about that this morning. I wouldn't accept a bullpen meltdown and blown save every week. That would be a mediocre, at best, bullpen. You'd be looking at 25ish BS. Nope, no bueno.
And I would argue that there have been more than 2 bullpen meltdowns. Of course, we all may be thinking of different things when it comes to bullpen meltdowns. msgkings, you may see meltdowns as only one where the bullpen allows more than 2 runs in a game (which would fit the 2 in 14 days idea). tzill, yours sounds more along the lines that the bullpen was handed a win and blew the save opportunity, regardless of win or loss. My idea of a meltdown would be where the bullpen loses the game, regardless whether they were handed a tie game or a lead. By my definition, the bullpen hasn't been as good as either of your (assumed) definitions. I still like the overall composition but are a couple of real stinkers, in terms of performance, in that bullpen that knocks it down a notch.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I would argue that there have been more than 2 bullpen meltdowns. Of course, we all may be thinking of different things when it comes to bullpen meltdowns. msgkings, you may see meltdowns as only one where the bullpen allows more than 2 runs in a game (which would fit the 2 in 14 days idea). tzill, yours sounds more along the lines that the bullpen was handed a win and blew the save opportunity, regardless of win or loss. My idea of a meltdown would be where the bullpen loses the game, regardless whether they were handed a tie game or a lead. By my definition, the bullpen hasn't been as good as either of your (assumed) definitions. I still like the overall composition but are a couple of real stinkers, in terms of performance, in that bullpen that knocks it down a notch.
Don't disagree. My point was/is that a BS every week is not good.

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm more worried about Kapler's ability to manager the pitching staff. Last year he depended way too much on Coonrod and we all know how that ended. This year he seems to be enthralled with both Wisler and Alvarez. I still haven't seen much from either of these two .... and that includes spring training. I guess we shall see how this develops.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm more worried about Kapler's ability to manager the pitching staff. Last year he depended way too much on Coonrod and we all know how that ended. This year he seems to be enthralled with both Wisler and Alvarez. I still haven't seen much from either of these two .... and that includes spring training. I guess we shall see how this develops.
Good to see you back on the forum! Seems like its been awhile.

I believe that was one of the criticisms leveled against Kapler in Phily, specifically, his bullpen management. I think he's done decently early this year but he does seem to favor some pitchers, to the team's detriment. I still cannot figure out why Menez was sent down last year and wasn't even considered for a bullpen role this year. He looked good in limited action last year. Alvarez had to be a nod from the FO to Kapler when they signed him. He had no other big league deals on the table and the Giants' bullpen was already loaded with lefthanders. Wisler made more sense at the time but his early numbers this year are awful.

I'm reserved on his management style thus far. I'm more concerned how he's handling the offense. Of course, he's seems to have nothing to work with so maybe I'd continuously shuffle them around too. And there's a reason I'm not a big league manager.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't disagree. My point was/is that a BS every week is not good.
And I agree to that. My point was more along the lines of how people look at what constitutes a good versus a bad bullpen game and was trying to respond to both your and msgkings' posts.