• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

4.13 Sunburn @ GasCan

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fan, aficionado, whatever...I'm simply pointing out the obvious truth about you. You don't enjoy all forms of baseball games. Most of us do.
I wonder if that's true. I doubt many on the board enjoy, say, college baseball. Or HS baseball. Or a late September Oriole/Mariner game.

You may be right, but I don't think so.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if that's true. I doubt many on the board enjoy, say, college baseball. Or HS baseball. Or a late September Oriole/Mariner game.

You may be right, but I don't think so.
I knew it'd get like this. My meaning isn't difficult. Most fans enjoy tight pitcher's duels. Most fans enjoy tense, competitive 8-7 games where the hitters are playing better than the pitchers that day. It's a sport of variety. You just like one flavor, which is of course perfectly fine.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I definitely enjoyed todays game...

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I knew it'd get like this. My meaning isn't difficult. Most fans enjoy tight pitcher's duels. Most fans enjoy tense, competitive 8-7 games where the hitters are playing better than the pitchers that day. It's a sport of variety. You just like one flavor, which is of course perfectly fine.
I'm a fan of the Giants' winning baseball games. What does that make me?

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Happy Season 17 GIF by The Simpsons

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MLB is experimenting with a rule that may make everyone angry.

I actually have been pushing for a compromise DH rule that is quite similar to the “double hook”. However, MLBs version is more extreme than mine.

My idea has been to simply link the DH to the pitcher. If the DH removes the game for any reason (injuries included), than the pitcher that he is “replacing” must come out of the game as well; and vice versa. However, that does not remove the DH concept from that game, it just means that the next time the pitchers slot comes up, a new DH must be announced. If a new pitcher does not pitch an entire inning, no hitter is burned since the new dh has not been announced yet.

While I am still not a fan of this variation of the DH, it does SOMEWHAT protect the integrity of the game and still offers a cost/benefit to leaving your pitching in or taking him out.

I do, however, like my idea better than the “double hook”, though. Whatever rule is implemented should be consistent. And the “double hook” seems like it is just 2 different rules mashed together without any thought to how they may work with each other.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually have been pushing for a compromise DH rule that is quite similar to the “double hook”. However, MLBs version is more extreme than mine.

My idea has been to simply link the DH to the pitcher. If the DH removes the game for any reason (injuries included), than the pitcher that he is “replacing” must come out of the game as well; and vice versa. However, that does not remove the DH concept from that game, it just means that the next time the pitchers slot comes up, a new DH must be announced. If a new pitcher does not pitch an entire inning, no hitter is burned since the new dh has not been announced yet.

While I am still not a fan of this variation of the DH, it does SOMEWHAT protect the integrity of the game and still offers a cost/benefit to leaving your pitching in or taking him out.

I do, however, like my idea better than the “double hook”, though. Whatever rule is implemented should be consistent. And the “double hook” seems like it is just 2 different rules mashed together without any thought to how they may work with each other.
I've been thinking about the double hook and I think I really like it. One, it will elevate the desire to have pitchers try to get through the opposing lineup a third time. Two, it will bring back the PH as a viable roster spot.

I'm in. Anything to diminish the DH, which isn't going away.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I've been thinking about the double hook and I think I really like it. One, it will elevate the desire to have pitchers try to get through the opposing lineup a third time. Two, it will bring back the PH as a viable roster spot.

I'm in. Anything to diminish the DH, which isn't going away.
My initial reaction to the "double hook" experiment is that MLB really doesn't like the opener concept and is trying to eliminate it. Should MLB declare this experiment a success (and I assume they will, that what they've done with most experiments in the Atlantic League that they start), it will be the way to get discourage managers from going with the opener concept. What team, except those that don't want to use the DH to begin with, will want to burn a player in the DH slot after 2 or 3 innings?

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My initial reaction to the "double hook" experiment is that MLB really doesn't like the opener concept and is trying to eliminate it. Should MLB declare this experiment a success (and I assume they will, that what they've done with most experiments in the Atlantic League that they start), it will be the way to get discourage managers from going with the opener concept. What team, except those that don't want to use the DH to begin with, will want to burn a player in the DH slot after 2 or 3 innings?
I'm just happy to see them make some changes, things have to evolve

Sandisfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just happy to see them make some changes, things have to evolve
I hate the DH and if I were the pitchers in the league where they are moving the mound back one foot I would get in contact with all the pitchers in the league and quadruple the number of walks and also agree to throw batting practice for the hitters so all the games end up being 5+ hour games, if there playing nine innings that is.. So it would sabotage such an experiment and if I were Union baseball pitcher I would do the same thing if they tried it in spring training make it such a farce they give up. There surely would be more stress on arms and with the new relief rules I can see many arm, elbow injuries in the future. There may not be enough healthy arms for the games to not be Video games ridiculousness. :sigh: :gaah:

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate the DH and if I were the pitchers in the league where they are moving the mound back one foot I would get in contact with all the pitchers in the league and quadruple the number of walks and also agree to throw batting practice for the hitters so all the games end up being 5+ hour games, if there playing nine innings that is.. So it would sabotage such an experiment and if I were Union baseball pitcher I would do the same thing if they tried it in spring training make it such a farce they give up. There surely would be more stress on arms and with the new relief rules I can see many arm, elbow injuries in the future. There may not be enough healthy arms for the games to not be Video games ridiculousness. :sigh: :gaah:
I'm far more ok with the DH than moving the mound. I like having different rules in the 2 leagues, DH for one, no DH for the other. Baseball is all about the variety, the quirkiness, with different field dimensions and no time clock, etc

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm far more ok with the DH than moving the mound. I like having different rules in the 2 leagues, DH for one, no DH for the other. Baseball is all about the variety, the quirkiness, with different field dimensions and no time clock, etc
The reason for moving the mound, in my mind, is ridiculous. MLB is to blame for the increased velocity among pitchers. Scouts drool over guys with high velo. Clubs promote guys who throw high heat, regardless of whether or not they can use it effectively in the minor leagues. Stadiums posted radar readings for the fans on every pitch. The higher the reading, the better reaction fans give. As a result, of course pitchers are going to increase the gas on their pitches. It also probably has played a role in the increase in injuries.
I wouldn't be surprised if the numbers show MLB what they want to see. But as long as the culture of baseball values speed on pitches, pitchers are still going to push the limits to make theirs faster. And that will probably just increase the amount of pitchers injured. Couple that with smaller farm systems, and it could get interesting in a few years if this rule change gets implemented across professional baseball.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also think they're going to make radical infield shifts illegal. Imaginary line up the center of the diamond -- SS and 3b must be on the left and 2b and 1b on the right when the pitcher starts his motion.

And I'm kinda ok with that too.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also think they're going to make radical infield shifts illegal. Imaginary line up the center of the diamond -- SS and 3b must be on the left and 2b and 1b on the right when the pitcher starts his motion.

And I'm kinda ok with that too.
I am open to that discussion. I don’t love it, but I think I can be convinced that it is good for the game.