• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

4.10 Losing Interest

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was hoping Chapman would have at least duplicated his production from last April. I guess there is still time for him to catch fire this month.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I approve the Hicks start. Hell, all three of his starts.

Nice to see Conforto not suck.
I just fear how he will hold up through the year. He hasn’t put in a full season of starts since the minors, and that isn’t the same length as the majors.

I expect him to spend some time on the IL in July/August. Maybe about the time Ray comes back.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I approve the Hicks start. Hell, all three of his starts.

Nice to see Conforto not suck.

I just fear how he will hold up through the year. He hasn’t put in a full season of starts since the minors, and that isn’t the same length as the majors.

I expect him to spend some time on the IL in July/August. Maybe about the time Ray comes back.
I didn't expect Hicks to hold up this long! He was horrible when the Cardinals tried starting him in 2022. I expected more of the same this year before going back to the bullpen to dominate in one inning bursts. I certainly did not expect him to be the ace of the staff three starts into the year. I see this as much more successful than my expectations already.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Could be. Ride it while it works though.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would be really nice to see them go 4-2 in Florida

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
great day at the park, hicks out of the box with a 6 pitch 1st inning. had no idea he's be our anchor, but really good to see someone locked in.
It's still sooooo early, we don't know who our anchors (the good and bad kind) will be yet. Way too soon to worry, so we started 5-8. Not great but only a couple breaks from 8-5. Played the Dodgers tough, etc. Zero worries from me yet.

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice to see the win.

Also nice to see Fitzgerald make the most of his playing time.
Hey LHG

Off topic .... you've been in Tennessee a while now .. how are you and the family handling the transition from California to Tennessee? Not an easy task when all is said and done. We moved from New York (suburban area) to North Atlantic Canada (rural). Did this a little later in life than you and also without any children affected. Been here just about two years now. Still adjusting. The only thing worthwhile that I can pass on is .... try and embrace where you are ... you can never make it into where you came from. You can't change the culture of where you are .... you need to find ways to leverage it .... and it's much easier said than done .... but worth the effort ...

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey LHG

Off topic .... you've been in Tennessee a while now .. how are you and the family handling the transition from California to Tennessee? Not an easy task when all is said and done. We moved from New York (suburban area) to North Atlantic Canada (rural). Did this a little later in life than you and also without any children affected. Been here just about two years now. Still adjusting. The only thing worthwhile that I can pass on is .... try and embrace where you are ... you can never make it into where you came from. You can't change the culture of where you are .... you need to find ways to leverage it .... and it's much easier said than done .... but worth the effort ...
Thanks for checking in with me. It has been an adjustment but different for each of us. My wife and oldest son have done the best adjusting. They were most excited about the move. Even then, it has been an adjustment.
Some of it is easy. Learning that the stores we like are an 1 hour and a half away, so we plan a monthly drive to Memphis to visit them, instead of 10 to 30 minutes like in the past. Others are not so easy. For example, we were spoiled with good Mexican restaurants where we used to live. It was almost a given that if you went to a Mexican restaurant in southern California, it would be good (for our tastes) but not so much here. The one everyone raves about here is awful! I can barely stand to eat their chips and salsa and won't even bother ordering anything else.
The hardest part for me is the job transition. I was able to keep my job (thank God!) in a remote capacity but I loved seeing the people I worked with and for. Don't get me wrong, I love my wife and children, but I liked being able to get away from the house to go to work. But, with that said, there are perks. I was able to take time off this last Monday so we could drive 3.5 hours to Missouri to watch the eclipse in totality. That was much more enjoyable than I thought it would be! And I enjoy getting out in nature and hike. There are plenty of new places to explore and enjoy out here (not that there was a lack where we came from, but the newness is fun).
So, I'd say we are adjusting, but some faster than others. And there are plenty of bumps along the way in our adjustment. You are correct, we cannot change the culture to where we were (although, I will say, some of it is more enjoyable than where we were. My wife loves the slower pace of life), we can only adapt.
Hope you are well. Why did you all make the move to Canada?

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for checking in with me. It has been an adjustment but different for each of us. My wife and oldest son have done the best adjusting. They were most excited about the move. Even then, it has been an adjustment.
Some of it is easy. Learning that the stores we like are an 1 hour and a half away, so we plan a monthly drive to Memphis to visit them, instead of 10 to 30 minutes like in the past. Others are not so easy. For example, we were spoiled with good Mexican restaurants where we used to live. It was almost a given that if you went to a Mexican restaurant in southern California, it would be good (for our tastes) but not so much here. The one everyone raves about here is awful! I can barely stand to eat their chips and salsa and won't even bother ordering anything else.
The hardest part for me is the job transition. I was able to keep my job (thank God!) in a remote capacity but I loved seeing the people I worked with and for. Don't get me wrong, I love my wife and children, but I liked being able to get away from the house to go to work. But, with that said, there are perks. I was able to take time off this last Monday so we could drive 3.5 hours to Missouri to watch the eclipse in totality. That was much more enjoyable than I thought it would be! And I enjoy getting out in nature and hike. There are plenty of new places to explore and enjoy out here (not that there was a lack where we came from, but the newness is fun).
So, I'd say we are adjusting, but some faster than others. And there are plenty of bumps along the way in our adjustment. You are correct, we cannot change the culture to where we were (although, I will say, some of it is more enjoyable than where we were. My wife loves the slower pace of life), we can only adapt.
Hope you are well. Why did you all make the move to Canada?
Glad to hear that you and the family are adjusting. It is a slow process and there will be many bumps along the way ... but in the end the rewards are usually well worth the effort. You actually mentioned one of the best things that we have also experienced here in Canada (Nova Scotia). Life moves at a much slower pace. Took some time to get used to but now it's one of the best things about being here.

Why Canada? Really quite simple ... the land has been my wife's family for just about 225 years now. She is actually a 5th generation land owner. When her mom passed the land went to my wife. Her brother didn't really want anything to do with it.

The property dates back to just about 1800, It was actually one of many land grants given to some Scottish people that wanted to leave Scotland at that time. Nova Scotia actually means New Scotland. In 2016 we put a small summer home on the property. Had to do a lot of work to recover the property itself. It really wasn't used since about the 1950s.

The property was what made us move here. We are both seniors now, in rather good health and tend to like almost anything that is nature oriented. This place is all about nature. We regularly see deer, foxes, eagles, hawks, racoons, bobcats, rabbits and a host of wild birds. Since the property also has quite a bit of water front we have the occasional pleasure of seeing whales and herons and other water birds, This year we actually had a seal come up on our property. Not sure why though. We do see them in the water quite a bit. Moose and bear are up in the highlands (mountain areas) but rarely come down to the low lands. Also see a lot of super yachts going through the channel.

With the kids all grown and moved out we were open to something new. You're too young yet to understand ... but having an opportunity of starting a new chapter in your life, as a senior, can be a life changing event. It was like being given a clean slate and the opportunity to explore things and do things that were totally foreign to us. Sort of a very strange feeling ....... both frightening and exhilarating at the same time .... closing a door behind you yet moving forward with a sense of excitement ... you are most likely feeling some of this yourself right now .....

You and the family stay healthy and enjoy the transition .... there aren't many opportunities in life like this ...

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Glad to hear that you and the family are adjusting. It is a slow process and there will be many bumps along the way ... but in the end the rewards are usually well worth the effort. You actually mentioned one of the best things that we have also experienced here in Canada (Nova Scotia). Life moves at a much slower pace. Took some time to get used to but now it's one of the best things about being here.

Why Canada? Really quite simple ... the land has been my wife's family for just about 225 years now. She is actually a 5th generation land owner. When her mom passed the land went to my wife. Her brother didn't really want anything to do with it.

The property dates back to just about 1800, It was actually one of many land grants given to some Scottish people that wanted to leave Scotland at that time. Nova Scotia actually means New Scotland. In 2016 we put a small summer home on the property. Had to do a lot of work to recover the property itself. It really wasn't used since about the 1950s.

The property was what made us move here. We are both seniors now, in rather good health and tend to like almost anything that is nature oriented. This place is all about nature. We regularly see deer, foxes, eagles, hawks, racoons, bobcats, rabbits and a host of wild birds. Since the property also has quite a bit of water front we have the occasional pleasure of seeing whales and herons and other water birds, This year we actually had a seal come up on our property. Not sure why though. We do see them in the water quite a bit. Moose and bear are up in the highlands (mountain areas) but rarely come down to the low lands. Also see a lot of super yachts going through the channel.

With the kids all grown and moved out we were open to something new. You're too young yet to understand ... but having an opportunity of starting a new chapter in your life, as a senior, can be a life changing event. It was like being given a clean slate and the opportunity to explore things and do things that were totally foreign to us. Sort of a very strange feeling ....... both frightening and exhilarating at the same time .... closing a door behind you yet moving forward with a sense of excitement ... you are most likely feeling some of this yourself right now .....

You and the family stay healthy and enjoy the transition .... there aren't many opportunities in life like this ...
Now that sounds like paradise. I love the views you have the wildlife that roam through your land. My eldest son and I got into bird watching during the pandemic and any time we can see new species (to us) we love it. Strangely enough, there are fewer species of birds here than in southern California but we are getting the chance to see northern cardinals, blue jays and brown headed cowbirds. Even got the woodpecker that Woody was based on.

This transition was (and still is) hard, even with the new things, fun things and good things that come with it. I don't know how much more difficult it would be if I was 25 years older (I'm about to hit 47) but you may have been more invested in your move than I was. This was more for my wife than it was for me. Of course, if the wife is happy, the house is supposed to be happier. My moody 14 year old daughter hasn't gotten that memo yet.

I love the history of your land and hope that one day, one of your children will take on the torch. Hey, maybe if I ever make it to Nova Scotia, I'll have to look you all up. I'll just look for the Giants' flag at the end of the driveway. That will be the dead giveaway.

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some final remarks ... I feel your pain .... a 14 year old daughter ... we raised 3 daughters ourselves ,,, and I still remember when they were 13-16 ... still cringe at many of the memories ... some of the most difficult years as a parent ..

Differences in Canada ... can't speak for all of Canada, but here in Nova Scotia that national sport is CLEARLY Hockey! There are MANY local hockey rinks around our area. Junior Hockey is one of the most widely played sports in our area. Not being a true hockey fan I found it rather interesting to watch 10-15 year olds play organized hockey. They are amazing. Their skating ability is beyond anything I could have imagined. For them skating is no different from walking. It's something they just do naturally. BUT ... this is junior hockey ,,, no contact is allowed. It's all about skating skill at this point. At 16 it all changes. Seems that many of the players actually drop out of hockey at this point. Contact is a big game changer! In the 10-15 year bracket you also see boys and girls mixed on the same team. Without contact it makes them much more EQUAL than you would think. All of the girls that I saw playing were just at good, as fast and as agile as the boys. Even their stick handling abilities were on an equal par. When girls reach 16 they play only with girls and there still is no contact allowed.

About a month ago I was introduced to Curling. They had the World Championships held at one of the local arenas here in Sydney, Nova Scotia. Always thought the game was dumb .... I was wrong. The game is all about skill and strategy. If I had to summarize Curling ... I'd say it was akin to playing Chess with a bunch of 40 pound rocks (Curling Stones). They actually have and use predefined strategies. Much more complicated than I ever imagined. Also didn't realize that the length of a Curling lane is about the same size as a hockey rink.

Reactions: LHG

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some final remarks ... I feel your pain .... a 14 year old daughter ... we raised 3 daughters ourselves ,,, and I still remember when they were 13-16 ... still cringe at many of the memories ... some of the most difficult years as a parent ..

Differences in Canada ... can't speak for all of Canada, but here in Nova Scotia that national sport is CLEARLY Hockey! There are MANY local hockey rinks around our area. Junior Hockey is one of the most widely played sports in our area. Not being a true hockey fan I found it rather interesting to watch 10-15 year olds play organized hockey. They are amazing. Their skating ability is beyond anything I could have imagined. For them skating is no different from walking. It's something they just do naturally. BUT ... this is junior hockey ,,, no contact is allowed. It's all about skating skill at this point. At 16 it all changes. Seems that many of the players actually drop out of hockey at this point. Contact is a big game changer! In the 10-15 year bracket you also see boys and girls mixed on the same team. Without contact it makes them much more EQUAL than you would think. All of the girls that I saw playing were just at good, as fast and as agile as the boys. Even their stick handling abilities were on an equal par. When girls reach 16 they play only with girls and there still is no contact allowed.

About a month ago I was introduced to Curling. They had the World Championships held at one of the local arenas here in Sydney, Nova Scotia. Always thought the game was dumb .... I was wrong. The game is all about skill and strategy. If I had to summarize Curling ... I'd say it was akin to playing Chess with a bunch of 40 pound rocks (Curling Stones). They actually have and use predefined strategies. Much more complicated than I ever imagined. Also didn't realize that the length of a Curling lane is about the same size as a hockey rink.
In regards to curling, I watched it a few years ago during the winter olympics (don't remember which but the U.S. men's team seemed to be doing well) and found it fascinating. I don't follow it much but I do like the sport.

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Growing up in Minnesota, you could tell who played hockey (not everyone in the twin cities did, but almost everyone in rural MN did) by noticing that the 10-year-olds had no front teeth. Those were the days before helmets or mouth guards. Since my dad taught at the UofM, my brother and I would often go skating at Williams Arena where the Gophers played hockey. It was a wonderful place. Me? I stuck to hoops. It was also pretty cool that in the 60's and 70's, the state hockey tournament was not segregated by school size. There was always some team from a dinky town in the Iron Range that would come in as a Cinderella team and sometimes won the whole thing. I recall the 1969 championship, the Warroad team lost in OT to Edina (the wealthy suburban school).