• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

30+ year Raider fan. Reason to continue?

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let me just say I learned to read by Dad and I pouring over the Sports page every morning. I have, for all of my life that I can remember ate, slept, and breathed sports.

The Ducks in the early Brooks era.... Oregon hasn't been a team that was in the National spot light until quite recently. Always found pride in our rivalries with the West Coast teams.

Blazers never a real reason to doubt my fandom. They aren't historically great. But the majority of my life they have been a good brand of basketball minus the jailblazer era.

A's. Love them through and through. In today's MLB they are the picture of the overachiever.

Now, the Raiders. My first true love in any sport. 1981 SuperBowl is the first football game I can remember watching. My family are all Raider fans and I an Oregonian former half season tix holder. However, the franchise is such an absolute joke in so many ways that I don't even need to touch on. The glory days of this franchise have passed decades ago minus the Gannon teams. The team goes through HCs over the last decade so that it is an embarrassment. From AL Davis' overhead projector presentation about Kiffin in a world where that was 20 year old technology. Mark Davis.... WTF? and of course, the fact ?my team? Playing on a baseball field.

The reasons to drop the Raiders like a bad habit are overwhelming. I can't stand the team that I grew up obsessing over. I am trying to find reasons to still follow them. But I can't even watch a game without getting mad and or queasy. This like I said, coming from a former season tix holder and Sunday ticket subscriber.

The NFL has become a chore for me to follow. I never thought that would be the case, but it is and I hate that I feel that way. It isn't even the fact that the Raiders are underachieving in the W/L columns. It is that they continue to be a complete joke and the laughing stock of the NFL. That is the reality. And not just for a couple years. This has gone on seemingly since Gannon left the field injured.

Sorry Raider Nation, you probably could care less and don't need this kind of fan anyways. Just trying to decide what the hell to do.

Is there one good reason to be loyal to a franchise such as the Raiders? I ask the NFL fans your honest opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let me just say I learned to read by Dad and I pouring over the Sports page every morning. I have, for all of my life that I can remember ate, slept, and breathed sports.

The Ducks in the early Brooks era.... Oregon hasn't been a team that was in the National spot light until quite recently. Always found pride in our rivalries with the West Coast teams.

Blazers never a real reason to doubt my fandom. They aren't historically great. But the majority of my life they have been a good brand of basketball minus the jailblazer era.

A's. Love them through and through. In today's MLB they are the picture of the overachiever.

Now, the Raiders. My first true love in any sport. 1981 SuperBowl is the first football game I can remember watching. My family are all Raider fans and I an Oregonian former half season tix holder. However, the franchise is such an absolute joke in so many ways that I don't even need to touch on. The glory days of this franchise have passed decades ago minus the Gannon teams. The team goes through HCs over the last decade so that it is an embarrassment. From AL Davis' overhead projector presentation about Kiffin in a world where that was 20 year old technology. Mark Davis.... WTF? and of course, the fact ?my team? Playing on a baseball field.

The reasons to drop the Raiders like a bad habit are overwhelming. I can't stand the team that I grew up obsessing over. I am trying to find reasons to still follow them. But I can't even watch a game without getting mad and or queasy. This like I said, coming from a former season tix holder and Sunday ticket subscriber.

The NFL has become a chore for me to follow. I never thought that would be the case, but it is and I hate that I feel that way. It isn't even the fact that the Raiders are underachieving in the W/L columns. It is that they continue to be a complete joke and the laughing stock of the NFL. That is the reality. And not just for a couple years. This has gone on seemingly since Gannon left the field injured.

Sorry Raider Nation, you probably could care less and don't need this kind of fan anyways. Just trying to decide what the hell to do.

Is there one good reason to be loyal to a franchise such as the Raiders? I ask the NFL fans your honest opinion.

Al Davis died?:noidea:

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
40+ yrs being a Steelers fan...I saw all 4 of the SB wins from the 70s era, and I also saw the transition from dynasty, FA, to drafting Ben.

A lot of difficult times seeing players PIT drafted and groomed all leave for greener pastures year after year it seemed. Cowher brought back the Steeler pride but also a lot of disappointment as well...that said, I was happy when they did get it turned all the way around and a legitimate contender to win it all.

OAK...where do you start, I know. If the McKenzie regime is given the time I think you will eventually turn the corner, but QB play, it's kind of a crap shoot.

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When thinking of those teams in the 60s and 70s that I didn't even get to watch in person, but have since watched dozens of games from Lamonica to Stabler that I have purchased on dvd. and the teams in the 80s with Plunkett and co and all the way up to Gannon era. I am proud and get that love for the Raiders that burns pretty darn fierce when reminiscing.

Raiders vs Steelers, Chiefs, Broncos, Pats, Jets, Dolphins, Chargers...etc. I am so passionate about them.

But this franchise is so removed from that without any resemblance.

It sucks. So difficult to even consider not being a Raider fan. But honestly, it is embarrassing.

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hope seems lost when the franchise is subjected to hiring the Kiffin's and retread Shells of the world.

And why are these hires made? Because nobody worth a shit would take the job. And why would anybody?

A freaking overhead projector presentation when discussing Lane Kiffin's lying ways.

Now this?????

markdavis1xoburkolhqm.jpg

I can't even look at him with a Raider helmet in front of him, wearing a Raider logo, or the image behind him on an ad board while he speaks.

It makes me fucking nauseous.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought that you were a 49er fan.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
40+ yrs being a Steelers fan...I saw all 4 of the SB wins from the 70s era, and I also saw the transition from dynasty, FA, to drafting Ben.

A lot of difficult times seeing players PIT drafted and groomed all leave for greener pastures year after year it seemed. Cowher brought back the Steeler pride but also a lot of disappointment as well...that said, I was happy when they did get it turned all the way around and a legitimate contender to win it all.

OAK...where do you start, I know. If the McKenzie regime is given the time I think you will eventually turn the corner, but QB play, it's kind of a crap shoot.

History has shown that it only takes one coach to bring a franchise back to its feet. But in Mamba's case, its' hard not to feel fatigued. I say stick to your ducks/blazers/athletics Mamba, let the pieces fall where they may with the Raiders. I don't think anyone would blame you (call you a bandwagon fan) if you resurfaced when the Raiders finally get their act together. Call it an NFL-hiatus!

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting OP. I think that any fan who has actively rooted for a team through a sustained period of futility can relate to that. At the same time, since I am a Broncos fan who grew up when the Raiders routinely kicked Denver's ass, I also find that post somewhat gratifying. Not that I am proud of that, of course.

Midnightangel

Troll slayer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Though no one responded to it, I started a thread over on the Steelers board about why I'm blessed to be a Steelers fan. From the owners to the coaches to the players and philosophy...we don't go through this kind of stuff.

I can't imagine what you're going through.

But I also can't see remaining a fan of a team that clearly is just going through the motions at this point.

Hell, the Steelers were the worst team in the NFL from 1933 to the early 1970's. It took us until 1972 to win our first post season game, but at least Art Rooney was actually trying.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:fear: agh!! Kill that thing with fire, before it procreates!

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought that you were a 49er fan.

no sir. I just rooted like heck for the 9ers to beat Seattle.

I dont hate the Seahawks by any stretch. BUt they do share the same city as the Huskies, so there is that.

Most Seahawk fans are Husky fans. So it is easy to root hard against them.

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Though no one responded to it, I started a thread over on the Steelers board about why I'm blessed to be a Steelers fan. From the owners to the coaches to the players and philosophy...we don't go through this kind of stuff.

I can't imagine what you're going through.

But I also can't see remaining a fan of a team that clearly is just going through the motions at this point.

Hell, the Steelers were the worst team in the NFL from 1933 to the early 1970's. It took us until 1972 to win our first post season game, but at least Art Rooney was actually trying.

Yes. I admire the Steelers more than any other team. They are what I want the Raiders to resemble. ANd they should. The franchises were mirrored for a very long time.

I love AL Davis. But time passed him by unfortunately. And the Raiders ultimately are where they are because of how he ran the team in his twilight years.

This is how I choose to remember AL Davis....

Al-Davis-John-Madden-77-Supe-Bowl.jpg

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:fear: agh!! Kill that thing with fire, before it procreates!

the apple fell very very far from the tree.

What AL accomplished in his life at that age.... and beyond.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I got tired of your post-and-leave maneuver so I didn't want to take the time to post in that thread.

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting OP. I think that any fan who has actively rooted for a team through a sustained period of futility can relate to that. At the same time, since I am a Broncos fan who grew up when the Raiders routinely kicked Denver's ass, I also find that post somewhat gratifying. Not that I am proud of that, of course.

Your team is our biggest rivals as far as I am concerned. But my Gosh! Look where these two franchises are. Polar opposites.

Denver is the only NFL team that I can actually say that I hated. Now... meh. Why hate em? For what? The writing on the wall is clear as day. They are a great franchise and Oakland is probably the worst.

^^^This pains me.

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I have been a Vikings fan for 45 years now, seen every SB ever played. Watched with horror as the Vikes of lore went down in each and every SB they ever attended. Did I bail the ship when the going got tough? Hell no! I've lived thru worse, 28 consecutive losing seasons by my beloved Beavers toughened my skin. My 2nd fav NFL team IS the Raiders and I have seen a ton of good teams come out of Oakland. They always picked up players who on their way out of the league or problem childs discarded from other clubs. Al had a way in his years to put it all together Been awhile since Gruden left, but that's no reason to jump off the bandwagon, silver-n-black is running thru your veins, always will.

You believe in Squatches today, how the hell can't you still believe in the Raiders anymore? The ghosts of Stabler, Lamonica and Plunkett. What's a few decades of trying to find their way back to the "Glory Hole" days? You have waited this long, put on your big boy pants and wait a few more.

"The Mad Bomber" may have just landed in the Bay Area this year. It's what Al was always waiting for.

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have been a Vikings fan for 45 years now, seen every SB ever played. Watched with horror as the Vikes of lore went down in each and every SB they ever attended. Did I bail the ship when the going got tough? Hell no! I've lived thru worse, 28 consecutive losing seasons by my beloved Beavers toughened my skin. My 2nd fav NFL team IS the Raiders and I have seen a ton of good teams come out of Oakland. They always picked up players who on their way out of the league or problem childs discarded from other clubs. Al had a way in his years to put it all together Been awhile since Gruden left, but that's no reason to jump off the bandwagon, silver-n-black is running thru your veins, always will.

You believe in Squatches today, how the hell can't you still believe in the Raiders anymore? The ghosts of Stabler, Lamonica and Plunkett. What's a few decades of trying to find their way back to the "Glory Hole" days? You have waited this long, put on your big boy pants and wait a few more.

"The Mad Bomber" may have just landed in the Bay Area this year. It's what Al was always waiting for.

and there is the problem.

It is 2014.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and there is the problem.

It is 2014.

Been a Golden State Warriors fan for almost 40 years and that has been even worse. With Al gone at least there is now a chance for the team to improve which was not going to happen as long as Al Davis was around. Junior just needs to try and hire the right people in the front office and let them do their jobs. Al Davis left a big mess and it isn't going to get cleaned up overnight.

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Been a Golden State Warriors fan for almost 40 years and that has been even worse. With Al gone at least there is now a chance for the team to improve which was not going to happen as long as Al Davis was around. Junior just needs to try and hire the right people in the front office and let them do their jobs. Al Davis left a big mess and it isn't going to get cleaned up overnight.

like I said, it isnt about the Wins and losses. I am a Blazer and A's fan through those same years remember.

It is about how the franchise is embarrassing. I can live with a franchise putting their best foot forward and coming up short on the W/L column.