• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

30 second clock is coming....

TrollyMcTroller

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In general, I'm in favor of the move as I think a 35 second possession without a shot is just too long, but at the same time, I agree with the guys that say this won't make a huge impact. Average possession in Division 1 is already well under 30 seconds, so this change simply won't impact that many teams.

I also think making it any shorter than 30 would be a huge mistake. The 24 second clock works in the NBA because those guys get paid to work out and stay in phenomenal shape. The typical college athlete (while still in "good shape") simply doesn't have the same level conditioning as NBA players. College players don't have the time and usually not the inclination to spend every waking hour in the gym/weight room.

As I've said before, It's not just about offense. Changing the shot clock effects defense as well. From what I've seen a lot of teams that prefer to slow down on offense are the same teams that are really intense on defense. They use most of their energy on defense, so on offense everyone stands around to get a quick breather. It's a conditioning thing. If you take away that "standing around" time, a lot of those teams lose the ability to play high intensity defense for a whole game. Yeah, that might improve point totals at the end of the game, but it isn't necessarily going to make for a more entertaining game. "Tired" basketball is usually not very good basketball to watch.

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe there will be more full court pressing and trapping now. I remember Duke's full court 2-2-1 press made a lot of teams take 8 or 9 seconds off the clock just getting the ball across half court and then get their offense started. Sometimes that alone made teams rush up a shot. Doing that now and having just 20 seconds or so to run a decent play will be difficult at best. Especially if you don't have good guard play on the perimeter.

NDHoosier101

Reigning "Last to post" Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,338.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not drastic enough. NCAA should have and will eventually adopt the NBA's 24 second shot clock.

Keep the game moving, it's boring to watch teams pound the ball for a minimum of 15 seconds everytime they get the ball. It's a great strategy, but does nothing to help the game.

tabascojet

king of cake
Hoopla Cash
$ 554,070.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not drastic enough. NCAA should have and will eventually adopt the NBA's 24 second shot clock.

Keep the game moving, it's boring to watch teams pound the ball for a minimum of 15 seconds everytime they get the ball. It's a great strategy, but does nothing to help the game.
Fuck no....I hope not. I hate the NBA game and don't want the college game to be anywhere near the same. What you call pounding I call play rdevelopment. NBA is mostly just a one on one game and that bores the hell out me. I don't agree with propensity of today's thinking that all sports need more offense either. The appreciation of good defense is fading away in all sports IMO.

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
cutting coaches timeouts 4 for the game. only allowed to carry over 3 for the second half

_T45bWv2_normal.jpeg
Dana O'Neil @ESPNDanaOneil · 5m 5 minutes ago

Included in timeouts changes up for vote: not allowing coach to call TO on a live ball. AKA the bailout TO. That, too, needs a hosanna

:clap::yes:

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the timeout situation is the biggest offender. The last several minutes of a game have really changed in the past few years. The coaches have taken advantage and made it 'their' time. Need to limit some of those timeouts.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bout fucking time with the shot clock and TO stuff. Hell, they need to take more away. The college game takes forever. Or maybe it just seems that way since its god awful basketball with teams basically hurling rocks at each other.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Finally! A quicker up-tempo game is always more interesting so watch.

FantasyBelowZero

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In general, I'm in favor of the move as I think a 35 second possession without a shot is just too long, but at the same time, I agree with the guys that say this won't make a huge impact. Average possession in Division 1 is already well under 30 seconds, so this change simply won't impact that many teams.

I also think making it any shorter than 30 would be a huge mistake. The 24 second clock works in the NBA because those guys get paid to work out and stay in phenomenal shape. The typical college athlete (while still in "good shape") simply doesn't have the same level conditioning as NBA players. College players don't have the time and usually not the inclination to spend every waking hour in the gym/weight room.

As I've said before, It's not just about offense. Changing the shot clock effects defense as well. From what I've seen a lot of teams that prefer to slow down on offense are the same teams that are really intense on defense. They use most of their energy on defense, so on offense everyone stands around to get a quick breather. It's a conditioning thing. If you take away that "standing around" time, a lot of those teams lose the ability to play high intensity defense for a whole game. Yeah, that might improve point totals at the end of the game, but it isn't necessarily going to make for a more entertaining game. "Tired" basketball is usually not very good basketball to watch.
I agree. And part of the fun of college basketball is the lower score because of stronger defense. I mean it's fun to see a team pass the ball around for 20 seconds before driving the lane and getting stuffed as the clock expires.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
30 seconds is a great move. Offense is struggling.

I don't see how increasing possessions improves offense. It will improve the number of possessions, but not offense. There are other ways, outside of the shot clock, to improve offense. That being said, good basketball can be played with a thirty second shot clock. I enjoy women's basketball. But I know a lot of people don't.

azchamps

Hoopla Cash
$ 84.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
About the only thing I can see a difference, buzzer beater shots. I can't think of a reason to be against the clock change. My thought of speeding up the game is, at the end of the game, intentional fouls to stop the clock should be called as technical fouls. Everyone knows it was done on purpose.....that's a technical foul in my book. You should not be rewarded for fouling.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
About the only thing I can see a difference, buzzer beater shots. I can't think of a reason to be against the clock change. My thought of speeding up the game is, at the end of the game, intentional fouls to stop the clock should be called as technical fouls. Everyone knows it was done on purpose.....that's a technical foul in my book. You should not be rewarded for fouling.
Could not agree more about the fouls at the end of the games.

I think everyone is, in general, in favor of the change. However, I think the difference is that some of us are pointing out that the change isn't going to help offenses become more watchable in general. A team that can't score is only going to score more points by default of having more chances. However, they are still going to be brutal on offense to watch. Making 30% of your shots is still 30% whether you get 35 attempts or 70...brutal is brutal.

chappee11

Esteemed Colleague
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

chappee11

Esteemed Colleague
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You are on the right track here. Basketball has been completely ruined for me. The first 45 minutes of an NBA game are basically pointless, and the last 3 minutes have become unwatchable. That left me completely on the sideline as a hoops fan. College hoops is just a bad product now. Simple as that.