• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

30 for 30 Elway to Marino. Draft shaped NFL

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I watched the best 30 for 30 I have seen yet last night. Elway to Marino. Amazing job by ESPN again.

I simply had no idea how many sub stories this draft had. ANd the players that came out of this draft!!!! Holy shit man... Elway, Marino, Dickerson, Warner, Gault, O'Brien, Kelly, and more HOFers both NFL and team HOFers...

The subplots in this draft were astonishing. My Raiders past up Marino at pick 27 for Don Mosebar. WHo was a pro bowler but still. Howie Long was almost traded for Elway... WTF! Imagine Elway a Raider and Long a Bronco:shocked:.

The Chargers and Seahwks were both close to getting Elway as well.

This is a much watch foreveryone. Non football fans to the die hard fans both will learn a ton. At least I did...

MUST WATCH TV.... Set your dvrs...

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OH YEAH, and I failed to mention Steinbrenner's role in this whole thing. He selected Elway with a 1st round pick. Elway was a lefty tailor made for the short porch in right field at old Yankee stadium.

Elway was all in on playing baseball after telling Baltimore DO NOT DRAFT ME@ I like the cold. When asked about playing in NY he said " Well we play baseball in the summer.

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Elway is a dick for that move

Yes, he went Eli Manning before it was vogue. When Daddys get involved such as Jack Elway and Archie Manning these things seem to happen. Both Eli and Elway both have 2 rings now however.

Elway was a cocky SOB man.

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
trade for long was with chicago not denver

You right. The Raiders were attempting to trade up with CHicago to get a high enough pick to trade it w/ Bmore...

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh yeah, and the last pick in that draft, Darrell Green lifetime Redskin and HOFer. Green went to some place called Texas A&I... Dont know what that even means.

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wish my Dad woulda bought 50 sets of Topps football cards that year.... Probably coulda got em for 8 bux a set

C U Buff Fan1

Total Homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was shocked at how many great players were in that draft too. I was in HS at the time and my dad was watching the news and he yells to me the Broncos just traded for Elway and I was like NO WAY. That was a great day.

My favorite part was when Elway's agent Marvin Demoff said Al Davis asked him if Elway could get the ball deep.

Boise4Life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Loved every second of it. What a draft that was, and even the busts had crazy stories to tell. It's close, but for me I think Elway is the best quarterback I've ever seen. The guy was simply incredible.

TonyTheGator

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Loved every second of it. What a draft that was, and even the busts had crazy stories to tell. It's close, but for me I think Elway is the best quarterback I've ever seen. The guy was simply incredible.

Dan Marino.

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

As a Raider fan it is very tough to argue with this.

And Walsh almost pulled the trigger on trading Montana to get Elway... I mean, this draft literally cemented a golden age in football.

Walsh back pedaled last minute, amazing stories....

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was shocked at how many great players were in that draft too. I was in HS at the time and my dad was watching the news and he yells to me the Broncos just traded for Elway and I was like NO WAY. That was a great day.

My favorite part was when Elway's agent Marvin Demoff said Al Davis asked him if Elway could get the ball deep.

I know right. And Al was suing the NFL and in court during the draft.

Tony Eason, Ken O'Brien, Jim Kelly, John Elway, Todd Blackledge.

Blackledge is the only one who wasnt productive. But I really like him as an analyst for ESPN...

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wanna see Dan Marino, Boomer Esiason and Phil Simms in cage fight.

With Shannon Sharpe doing the play-by-play.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, he went Eli Manning before it was vogue. When Daddys get involved such as Jack Elway and Archie Manning these things seem to happen. Both Eli and Elway both have 2 rings now however.

Elway was a cocky SOB man.

Actually, there is apparently more to the story re: Eli not wanting to go to the Chargers. It seems that it was because the Chargers front office was so dysfunctional!! Apparently, Archie and Eli flew to San Diego to meet with them and no one was there at the airport to meet them. Pretty unprofessional.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really despised that horseshoe head Elway, but he was one of those where the hatred evolved into respect when he wasn't ruining my Sundays any longer.

What separated him from the rest was his ability to roll one direction yet throw a perfect dart 20 yds across the other side of the field (on the run). It required good form and a strong arm.

Anybody will tell you it's an ill advised throw that has a high percentage for disaster, but Elway was one of few with the means to pull it off.

The difference between throwing a ball away and moving the chains. The difference between winning playoff games/super bowls and not.

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, there is apparently more to the story re: Eli not wanting to go to the Chargers. It seems that it was because the Chargers front office was so dysfunctional!! Apparently, Archie and Eli flew to San Diego to meet with them and no one was there at the airport to meet them. Pretty unprofessional.

Oh well they got Rivers...:sorry: San Diego

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really despised that horseshoe head Elway, but he was one of those where the hatred evolved into respect when he wasn't ruining my Sundays any longer.

What separated him from the rest was his ability to roll one direction yet throw a perfect dart 20 yds across the other side of the field (on the run). It required good form and a strong arm.

Anybody will tell you it's an ill advised throw that has a high percentage for disaster, but Elway was one of few with the means to pull it off.

The difference between throwing a ball away and moving the chains. The difference between winning playoff games/super bowls and not.

RedALert, I really disliked Elway being a Raider guy. But when he retired like you I realized he was maybe the best of all time. Certainly top 5. Just my opinion..