• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

3-4 or 4-3

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I have been one of the most vocal on this (and the old ESPN) board against switching to a 4-3 defense, but after watching the game last week I'm curious about how easy the switch to a 4-3 would be.

We played basically the entire GB game in the nickel with 99/94/91/55 along the DL with 51/96/63/83 rotating in (Dorsey played, I believe, 6 snaps). GB's plan was to put us in the nickel and run the ball with a big bruising RB in Eddie Lacy. We held Lacy to under 4 ypc. That was with Perrish Cox being the 7th guy in the box and I don't know that we brought a safety into the box at all.

Could we run a front 7 of Aldon/Justin/McDonald/Tank along the DL with Bowman/Willis/Brooks at LB (or put Brooks at DL and Aldon at OLB and use him how Denver uses Miller).

In running downs we could put Dorsey and/or Dial at DT (or Ian Williams before I forget about him) and move Justin Smith do DE creating a front 4 of Justin Smith, Dorsey/Dial/Williams, McDonald and Carradine with Willis, Bowman and either Brooks or Aldon at SLB.

In passing downs we can go with the nickel package we used against GB, with Tank replacing Justin Smith when the time comes.

I'm happy with a 3-4, but I'm wondering if with more teams moving to 3-4 schemes, going to a 4-3 could be a way to win in the middle rounds of the draft. Just as running a 3-4 for so long allowed Pitt to do that.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would say no because a lot of teams are switching back to a 4-3. Dallas, New England, Huston have all switched from a 3-4 to a 4-3 in the last 2 years.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I would say no because a lot of teams are switching back to a 4-3. Dallas, New England, Huston have all switched from a 3-4 to a 4-3 in the last 2 years.

Have they fully converted, or are they going more hybrid? (which is, to be honest, the direction I see us going).

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know NE and Dallas are fully converted, not sure about Huston.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But, I have wanted to switch to a 4-3 for the last few years to make Willis even better. But having Bowman be as good as he has been playing and Brooks shining this season as well I am more inclined to stay 3-4.

Biggest problem with staying 3-4 was finding a good NT. Dorsey and Williams and even Jerrod-Eddie have filled in pretty good at the Nose.

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'd be a little worried about Aldon's production. Ware in Dallas said playing DE was a lot more exhausting for him and his production suffered a little bit.

The idea could definitely work but 3-4 is what I'd lean towards at this time because of all experience our players have in it. D-line is big concern though in the 3-4. To continue w/it and be successful, we need to find someone to replace Justin Smith

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've always thought you get a better pass rush from a 4-3.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My initial response would be no, and still say no.

The 3-4 is here and we're built for the 3-4.

If you want the 4-3, I believe you need to re-tool or draft a rebuild for the defense up front. I know we're in a lot of nickel, but we have the "OLBs" to do so...

switching to a 4-3, I believe your limiting Brooks as the hypothetical OLB. Brooks grew and blossom to a true 34 pass rusher IMO and to switch him to 43 OLB, different responsbilities IMO...not going to work.

Have to get true DEs, I dont see Aldon right now as a DE but a 34 OLB rusher he is and effective as so. look at Ware, he switch to a 43 DE and wasn't the same... six sacks in 13 games i believe... I know he had an injury but he wasn't lighting the league on fire when healthy either...

I believe there's more of a retool/rebuild for the 43 than one would believe.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My initial response would be no, and still say no.

The 3-4 is here and we're built for the 3-4.

If you want the 4-3, I believe you need to re-tool or draft a rebuild for the defense up front. I know we're in a lot of nickel, but we have the "OLBs" to do so...

switching to a 4-3, I believe your limiting Brooks as the hypothetical OLB. Brooks grew and blossom to a true 34 pass rusher IMO and to switch him to 43 OLB, different responsbilities IMO...not going to work.

Have to get true DEs, I dont see Aldon right now as a DE but a 34 OLB rusher he is and effective as so. look at Ware, he switch to a 43 DE and wasn't the same... six sacks in 13 games i believe... I know he had an injury but he wasn't lighting the league on fire when healthy either...

I believe there's more of a retool/rebuild for the 43 than one would believe.

I agree. We have the right guys to fit a 3-4 right now and it is working. Maybe use a little hybrid to show some other looks, but I wouldn't make the switch.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
why would we switch to a 4-3 when we have the best 3-4 LBs in the league.