• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: 2nd Round: LA Lakers vs Houston Rockets

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was my prediction as will but as Lance said, i don't have a better grip on this seriea so far. One thing I'll say is the Lakera size isn't making that much of a difference because AD don't play inside much. Lakers are only +6 on rebounds through 2 games

The Rockets punched the Lakers in the mouth in game 1.

The Lakers adjusted by going smaller and scheming the ball out of Harden’s hands in game 2.

How the Rockets adjust back will likely determine the outcome of the series.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably a crazy thought...but I wonder if the Rockets new emphasis on defense actually hurts them a little against a team like the Lakers?

Defending against that size, has got to be exhausting. Especially when the Lakers are attacking the basket like they were much of the night last night.

Then when you add in trying to battle the Lakers for rebounds (which they've done well) and that's a lot of energy that they normally use for offense.

I thought the Rockets looked tired in the 4th quarter last night. Obviously, coming back from 21 down took some energy and they just came off of a 7 game series.

I just wonder if they might be better off just trying to run the legs off of the Lakers?

Last edited:

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,821.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably a crazy thought...but I wonder if the Rockets new emphasis on defense actually hurts them a little against a team like the Lakers?

Defending against that size, has got to be exhausting. Especially when the Lakers are attacking the basket like they were much of the night last night.

Then when you add in trying to battle the Lakers for rebounds (which they've done well) and that's a lot of energy that they normally use for offense.
Good point.....that has to be exhausting.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,821.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
D was very good but James was the best player on the court last night.

As 28 points, 11 rebounds, 9 assists, and 4 steals attest.

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
D was very good but James was the best player on the court last night.

As 28 points, 11 rebounds, 9 assists, and 4 steals attest.

AD's stat line was good, too. but the guy needs to go to the basket more. he can pretty much get there whenever he wants to...

and for God's sake, figure out what a friggin' box-out is...

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I thought the Rockets looked tired in the 4th quarter last night. Obviously, coming back from 21 down took some energy and they just came off of a 7 game series.

I just wonder if they might be better off just trying to run the legs off of the Lakers?

I don’t know.

Yes, I think it definitely exhausts them. I don’t think there is an alternative though.

Hard to run effectively when you pull the ball out of the net.

It is just a consequence of being small.

That said though, they have some real bulldogs. Tucker, Gordon and Harden are all very strong dudes. Banging with Tucker probably takes more toll on AD than the other way around.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At least you're honest

I forgot to ask you this last night. You obviously had an issue with what I said about Harden. But why didn't you have an issue with what I said about Westbrick?

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Rockets simply do not have enough shooters from the bench. The 7 or 8 man rotation even in the playoffs is going to be a disadvantage. Even in the 2000 playoffs and finals, Phil Jackson won with shooters like Tyron Lue.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I forgot to ask you this last night. You obviously had an issue with what I said about Harden. But why didn't you have an issue with what I said about Westbrick?

Because Westbrook actually played like crap last night

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because Westbrook actually played like crap last night

And Harden played like crap in the 4th quarter. You do realize he only had 6 buckets (terrible) and 5 TO's for the game?

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Houston is giving the Lakers fits.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And Harden played like crap in the 4th quarter. You do realize he only had 6 buckets (terrible) and 5 TO's for the game?

Did you watch the game?

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you watch the game?

It's funny how you keep defending Harden. Only 6 buckets and vanished in the 4th quarter. But you just keep thinking his subapr game wasn't his fault.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Rockets simply do not have enough shooters from the bench. The 7 or 8 man rotation even in the playoffs is going to be a disadvantage. Even in the 2000 playoffs and finals, Phil Jackson won with shooters like Tyron Lue.

The Rockets have more shooters (at least reliable ones) than the Lakers do. But yeah, they played 9 players last night but all but 10 minutes were divided among 7 players.

The Lakers played 10 and all but 11 minutes (McGee 8, Waiters 3) were divided among 8 players. Waiters likely gets more than 3 minutes if he doesn't get hurt.

The Lakers definitely looked fresher at the end of the game.

As for the 2000 playoffs. It's a different game today than it was then. The 3 still wasn't being used a lot, Shaq was dominant and Kobe was turning into an all time great player who could get to the rim at will. So the Lakers could get away with not having a lot of shooters. So it's not exactly apples to apples.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's funny how you keep defending Harden. Only 6 buckets and vanished in the 4th quarter. But you just keep thinking his subapr game wasn't his fault.

Did you watch the game?

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you watch the game?

What do you think? If I didn't watch the game how would I have known right after it ended that Harden only had three 4th quarter points? You seem to be ignoring the fact that he did next to nothing down the stretch.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do you think? If I didn't watch the game how would I have known right after it ended that Harden only had three 4th quarter points? You seem to be ignoring the fact that he did next to nothing down the stretch.

Lakers sent a double team at him every time he had the ball. It is either force a shot over 2 defenders or pass to the open teammate. Criticizing him for making the right basketball play is borderline retarded

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm no Harden fan, but to be fair, he was 6 for 12 from the field and 11 for 13 from the line. 27 points on 12 shots is pretty efficient.

The Lakers did a great job of cutting off his driving lanes and forcing him to give up the ball. Then they followed that up with doing a good job of making sure he didn't get it back.

They also were able to confuse him and the Rockets (especially early) by switching back and forth from zone to man, sometimes in the same possession. They also did a good job of not fouling him.

If he had kept forcing the issue against the double team (which usually had a bigger player involved like Lebron, AD or Kieff), the Rockets would have gotten blown out.

Plus, Tucker, Gordon, House and Covington were all playing well, so there was no reason for him to force the issue. In the 4th, I think the Rockets were just worn down.