• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

247 Projects AP Preseason Top 25

rsw626

Ayatollah of Rock n Rolla
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,356.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It has nothing to do with their chances of winning a title. The Rose Bowl has too much tradition for each of those two conferences to abandon it.
And yet they did a year later when the Rose Bowl became part of the BCS, and now the CFP. While the do still try to keep the B1G/PAC tie ins, it hasn't always been the case since then.

2002 Nebraska v Miami
2005 Texas v Michigan
2006 USC v Texas
2011 TCU v Wisconsin
2015 Oregon V FSU
2018 OU v UGA

Basically they keep the traditional tie ins, unless the game is part of the Playoff (now) or one of the teams was in the BCS Championship. So, had they joined the Bowl Alliance in 1992, the 1998 Rose Bowl would have most likely been Michigan vs Nebraska.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And yet they did a year later when the Rose Bowl became part of the BCS, and now the CFP. While the do still try to keep the B1G/PAC tie ins, it hasn't always been the case since then.

2002 Nebraska v Miami
2005 Texas v Michigan
2006 USC v Texas
2011 TCU v Wisconsin
2015 Oregon V FSU
2018 OU v UGA

Basically they keep the traditional tie ins, unless the game is part of the Playoff (now) or one of the teams was in the BCS Championship. So, had they joined the Bowl Alliance in 1992, the 1998 Rose Bowl would have most likely been Michigan vs Nebraska.
The 2018 Rose Bowl was played in Dallas. Everyone knows this.

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

2002 Nebraska v Miami
2005 Texas v Michigan
2006 USC v Texas
2011 TCU v Wisconsin
2015 Oregon V FSU
2018 OU v UGA

Neither of the conferences were all that thrilled about it, but were coerced by the other conferences.

I understand that you don't get the Rose Bowl tradition, I feel a bit bad for you that you haven't been able to experience it.

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is telling that although the Rose Bowl is eligible to bid for the CFP Championship in years they do not host a semifinal, they have no plans to do so. The Rose Bowl, as much as possible, wants to preserve tradition.

rsw626

Ayatollah of Rock n Rolla
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,356.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Neither of the conferences were all that thrilled about it, but were coerced by the other conferences.

I understand that you don't get the Rose Bowl tradition, I feel a bit bad for you that you haven't been able to experience it.
Who said I didn't get it? I've actually been to it several times. Just stating that had they joined the Alliance, NU and Michigan most likely would have played.

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who said I didn't get it? I've actually been to it several times. Just stating that had they joined the Alliance, NU and Michigan most likely would have played.

Sounds like no matter how many times you attend, you still won't "get it".

Tradition isn't for everyone, I suppose.

CUScorpion

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like no matter how many times you attend, you still won't "get it".

Tradition isn't for everyone, I suppose.
National Championships aren’t either. The B1G & the PAC have not made the playoffs the last two seasons and both crapped the bed the year before that. It’s no wonder that those are the loudest two conferences begging for an eight team playoff.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
National Championships aren’t either. The B1G & the PAC have not made the playoffs the last two seasons and both crapped the bed the year before that. It’s no wonder that those are the loudest two conferences begging for an eight team playoff.
Other than WSU HC Mike Leach, I've never heard the PAC commissioner nor the PAC coaches propose an eight game playoff but I have heard the 14 member ACC & SEC admit they're too chickenshit to move to a 9 game conference schedule in order to actually play their own conference members.

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

PAC has more CFP wins than the B12.

CUScorpion

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Other than WSU HC Mike Leach, I've never heard the PAC commissioner nor the PAC coaches propose an eight game playoff but I have heard the 14 member ACC & SEC admit they're too chickenshit to move to a 9 game conference schedule in order to actually play their own conference members.
Why does playing an extra conference game matter??? Clemson is my alma mater. We schedule 2 OOCG with SEC teams. Do you really think adding an extra game against VT or Miami might help your shitty team advance to the playoff. Nope. It is set in stone for at least the next five years.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why does playing an extra conference game matter??? Clemson is my alma mater. We schedule 2 OOCG with SEC teams. Do you really think adding an extra game against VT or Miami might help your shitty team advance to the playoff. Nope. It is set in stone for at least the next five years.
The SEC followed by the ACC play the least amount of P5 teams on average because they lack the testicles to actually play their own conference members.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's the same argument . Preseason rankings always favor the teams who have " earned it throughout the years ". The point is that prior years aren't supposed to impact the next season . Prior season conference strength isn't supposed to impact conference perception the next year . It's how you end up with perpetuating self fulfilling "predictions ". Do you think , in 2017, that if Miss St had gone 11-1 with the exact same results as Bama that they'd have gone to the playoffs ahead of OSU ? Do you think , in 2016 , that if NW had gone 11-1 with the exact same results as OSU that they'd have been chosen ahead of Penn St?

Of course you don't

And you'd be right
Hell no. The names on those two jerseys don't have the cache needed.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
'When' you get that loss can have an effect though.

Get it early in the season you can climb back in the polls as others lose. Get it late and there's little time to climb back into it.

I do agree the committee is not just following the polls though.

Yeah I didn't mean to imply they're just directly following the polls but they're still human . They see the polls . It influences them. There's no way around it

It is more subtle and indirect. The name on the jersey is what influences humans in both polls and committees. I do think the committe is less influenced by the names on the jerseys than pollsters are. But when it comes down to a couple of teams being the same, the committee members are still human and that subtle thought in their mind can't help but sway them. Less flack that way.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hell no. The names on those two jerseys don't have the cache needed.
Blue bloods already get an advantage in recruiting but that's ok they've earned that and recruiting isn't ranking . Blue bloods already have an advantage in perception and that's ok they've earned that as perception isnt rankings . Where it's not ok is to have an advantage in the polls before games are even played . There's literally no reason to have rankings until after at least half the season is played . I know the committee holds off but everyone on the committee gets 2 months to see rankings and be influenced before they even sit down to debate their initial thoughts

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not bad. I predict Texas and Notre Dame will not be there at the end of the regular season. LSU will have a tough time also. At least 1 PAC team will be in the top 10.

I think we will. We are too talented not to.

But we need 2 things to be a playoff team.

1) Replace the players who left.

2) A healthy Armstrong full season

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It is telling that although the Rose Bowl is eligible to bid for the CFP Championship in years they do not host a semifinal, they have no plans to do so. The Rose Bowl, as much as possible, wants to preserve tradition.
100% true. If the Rose Bowl had gotten their way, there wouldn't have been a BCS or a CFP. They'd like to go back to the old bowl system where they had control over everything.

olympicoscar

Life is what you've made of it.
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,999.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we will. We are too talented not to.

But we need 2 things to be a playoff team.

1) Replace the players who left.

2) A healthy Armstrong full season

Everybody has the problem of replacing the players who left. I'm not talking about Seniors, but the Juniors. The transfer portal is ridiculous.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Blue bloods already get an advantage in recruiting but that's ok they've earned that and recruiting isn't ranking . Blue bloods already have an advantage in perception and that's ok they've earned that as perception isnt rankings . Where it's not ok is to have an advantage in the polls before games are even played . There's literally no reason to have rankings until after at least half the season is played . I know the committee holds off but everyone on the committee gets 2 months to see rankings and be influenced before they even sit down to debate their initial thoughts
I agree that the blue bloods have earned it over time. I also agree there shouldn't be polls until later...I'd argue the the last week of the season though. But, anyone that "votes" or "selects" is human and is influenced by what has been "earned" over the years...whether they admit so or not. The only way they are not influenced by it is when those blue bloods "unearn" it to the point it is so obvious. Even then, some pollsters still place them too high IMHO.