• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

22-23 Preseason Megna thread

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll be honest, I don't want Johnny Hockey...

He's awesome but that basically locks all of our cap into undersized forwards, he doesn't seem to get it done in the playoffs when the game slows down and defences tighten up and I don't see his game ageing well.

With that said if we get him I'll be optimistic and I think a line of Bratt, Jack Hughes and Johnny is right up there with best in the league.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Flyers making moves for Johnny Hockey?

He grew up there, but you would have to think the hiring of Torts has somewhat cooled the desire to go home.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He grew up there, but you would have to think the hiring of Torts has somewhat cooled the desire to go home.

All I know is Johnny Hockey has played his heart out for the Flames and if he decides to stay in Calgary, that's fine by me. He has also at the point where he can explore all other options out there and if he signs with another team, that's cool as well.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All I know is Johnny Hockey has played his heart out for the Flames and if he decides to stay in Calgary, that's fine by me. He has also at the point where he can explore all other options out there and if he signs with another team, that's cool as well.
Islanders fans hate you for saying this.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big questions if he walks from that.

Bread walked from a similar deal with us, and it was all about him wanting to live in NYC for his wife. So it doesn't always mean huge issue, but man takes a lot of cojones to walk away from that kind of money.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big questions if he walks from that.

Bread walked from a similar deal with us, and it was all about him wanting to live in NYC for his wife. So it doesn't always mean huge issue, but man takes a lot of cojones to walk away from that kind of money.
Income taxes about even it out, even in higher tax states like NY or NJ.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Being paid in USD and taking advantage of the exchange rate in Calgary (no provincial sales tax either) provides a nice bump for #13
I’m too lazy to find it now but I recall there being a piece somewhere like the Athletic or something that did the math and basically for any high value contract the only state where you’re better off in AB than the US is California.

And the thing with the exchange rate is you’ve gotta cash whatever you buy back in for US dollars when you retire and go back south or whenever you wind up going down. If anything you’re gambling that the CAD could go down vs. USD (which is usually a good bet) and leave you with less.