• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2024 Offseason Plan

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Experts think the Bengals should get as high as a mid 1st rounder to as low as a early second rounder for Higgins.

Sign Chris Jones away from KC or Justin Madubuike from the Ravens if they don't get tagged.

Sign RT Mike Onwenu from the Patriots.

Sign TE Dalton Schultz from the Texans

Draft with our two rounds:

#1a WR Brian Thomas Jr.
#1b CB Kool-Aid McKinstry (from Higgins trade)
#2 DT T'Vondre Sweat
I'm for trading Tee if you can get a mid 1st...but I'd likely hold onto him if it's a 2nd. With how the cap works, and how the Bengals are set up - they likely can afford to tag him again next year, carry that AAV and trade him next year. At that point you take what you can get for him, but if they look to trade him this year - I want a mid 1st rounder at least.

Jones is going to get PAID...I mean...PAID. He's 29. I don't see it for the Bengals who have shied away from signing guys to big deals that carry into and through their 30's. I mean, it's exactly why we are discussing if Reader will return or not. He's a pure NT, with good stats, and despite the injury - can be a really good addition to any team. However, he's going to get a contract that carries him into his 30's.

Owenu is also going to get paid pretty well. I'm ok with this for RT, but I'm not going to get crazy. Especially if, and big if, Bengals do trade Higgins for a mid-1st rounder....then you are taking WR/RT - and you are happy with that.

I think Schultz should be in the discussion of TE's. He'd be a solid add, and you could give him a few year deal. I'd still re-sign Sample and Hudson. I'd be very happy with those moves at TE. You get an all-around starter that produces and pair him with Burrow. You sign one of the best pure blocking TE's in the game, and get a decent pass catching backup option in Hudson...even if he is a little older...he's a backup and likely isn't going to break the bank - so no issues there.

Now, this depends on how the board breaks, but I just don't see a CB going in round 1 for the Bengals. They are high on CTB and Turner. My guess is they will target a CB, but likely in rounds 2-4 and likely with more of an eye on Hilton being replaced next year.

I like Sweat. His weight worries me. I also like his teammate at the 3-tech.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm for trading Tee if you can get a mid 1st...but I'd likely hold onto him if it's a 2nd. With how the cap works, and how the Bengals are set up - they likely can afford to tag him again next year, carry that AAV and trade him next year. At that point you take what you can get for him, but if they look to trade him this year - I want a mid 1st rounder at least.

Jones is going to get PAID...I mean...PAID. He's 29. I don't see it for the Bengals who have shied away from signing guys to big deals that carry into and through their 30's. I mean, it's exactly why we are discussing if Reader will return or not. He's a pure NT, with good stats, and despite the injury - can be a really good addition to any team. However, he's going to get a contract that carries him into his 30's.

Owenu is also going to get paid pretty well. I'm ok with this for RT, but I'm not going to get crazy. Especially if, and big if, Bengals do trade Higgins for a mid-1st rounder....then you are taking WR/RT - and you are happy with that.

I think Schultz should be in the discussion of TE's. He'd be a solid add, and you could give him a few year deal. I'd still re-sign Sample and Hudson. I'd be very happy with those moves at TE. You get an all-around starter that produces and pair him with Burrow. You sign one of the best pure blocking TE's in the game, and get a decent pass catching backup option in Hudson...even if he is a little older...he's a backup and likely isn't going to break the bank - so no issues there.

Now, this depends on how the board breaks, but I just don't see a CB going in round 1 for the Bengals. They are high on CTB and Turner. My guess is they will target a CB, but likely in rounds 2-4 and likely with more of an eye on Hilton being replaced next year.

I like Sweat. His weight worries me. I also like his teammate at the 3-tech.
I agree about Tee. The way the cap moved has really set up the Bengals to be in full control of the situation.... Tee is 21 million this year, which can easily be absorbed in our cap and it still leave us north of 50 million to play with in free agency. For a team that should be a contender, why take the risk on a different receiver, when you can hold onto Tee and still fix other issues on the roster. They should be all in on this season..... I'd like to see a complete roster before they even walk to the podium on draft night. The picks we get this year can be used as gunners on special teams (particularly when we piss off all of our fans by taking a corner in first round) or depth pieces on either line.

Next year you will have to pay Tee 120% of what he is making this year. So he'll cost 26 million per year. That number is going to be a bargain compared to what the young receivers on their second contracts are making. And with an additional bump to the cap, it won't add too much of a squeeze. Of course, if Tee has a big season this year, there is no way he'll play a second year on the cap. He can sit out and still have the 21 million he earned this season to support him as he waits us out. So, we'll have to move him and we won't have as much negotiating power because other teams will know that we need to move him. But, we'd still control where he could go and we would get something.

Given the scenario I mention above, I think Tee's representation should be pushing for a long term deal. A three year deal with a provision that the Bengals won't tag him at the end of it, would basically ensure that Tee makes the same money and has some freedom at the end of all of this. That's just my 2 cents.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree about Tee. The way the cap moved has really set up the Bengals to be in full control of the situation.... Tee is 21 million this year, which can easily be absorbed in our cap and it still leave us north of 50 million to play with in free agency. For a team that should be a contender, why take the risk on a different receiver, when you can hold onto Tee and still fix other issues on the roster. They should be all in on this season..... I'd like to see a complete roster before they even walk to the podium on draft night. The picks we get this year can be used as gunners on special teams (particularly when we piss off all of our fans by taking a corner in first round) or depth pieces on either line.

Next year you will have to pay Tee 120% of what he is making this year. So he'll cost 26 million per year. That number is going to be a bargain compared to what the young receivers on their second contracts are making. And with an additional bump to the cap, it won't add too much of a squeeze. Of course, if Tee has a big season this year, there is no way he'll play a second year on the cap. He can sit out and still have the 21 million he earned this season to support him as he waits us out. So, we'll have to move him and we won't have as much negotiating power because other teams will know that we need to move him. But, we'd still control where he could go and we would get something.

Given the scenario I mention above, I think Tee's representation should be pushing for a long term deal. A three year deal with a provision that the Bengals won't tag him at the end of it, would basically ensure that Tee makes the same money and has some freedom at the end of all of this. That's just my 2 cents.
I like that last part. 3 years / 60 million with 30 million guaranteed? 25 / 20 / 15

Can we afford Burrow / Chase / Higgins? Maybe if we backload Chase a little bit and front load Higgins?

BurrowDeep2Chase

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like that last part. 3 years / 60 million with 30 million guaranteed? 25 / 20 / 15

Can we afford Burrow / Chase / Higgins? Maybe if we backload Chase a little bit and front load Higgins?
Sign Chase to a long term contract immediately. We don't want to know what this Salary Cap might balloon up to.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sign Chase to a long term contract immediately. We don't want to know what this Salary Cap might balloon up to.
Gives me a thought. Use your cap flexibility to pay Chase as top receiver in the league this year and extend Tee. Burrow's cap hit is still light and the cap will go up a lot over the next few years. In '26 those deals with Burrow, Chase and Higgins will be middle of the road. And they can afford it in the short term. In general I've been opposed to trying to pay both Chase and Higgins.... But I do think there is a path that wouldn't hurt the rest of the roster.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kris would need to change his name to "LeroooooooooooooooooOoOoOy"

and then I'd be ok with that.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure, but then why would Chase do this? He's going to wait for Jefferson to sign, and then go above him. I think that's been his plan all along.

That being said - Chase turns 24 tomorrow. He's under contract through 2025. He will turn 26 before his F/A year in 2026. Let's assume, for a moment - that they don't come to an agreement on a contract...they tag him and he plays 2026 under the tag. He will now be 27 going into his new F/A year. He'll still get paid on the open market - but he may have cost himself even more money by playing the long game.

Why? If he signs a 3-4 year mega deal now (or next off-season), he can hit F/A a second time at 28/29. This would put him in prime position to cash in on a second big contract.

If they don't come to an agreement, and he's tagged, then he hits F/A at 27. He'll get a 4 year deal, most likely - but then he doesn't get his second contract until he's already in his 30's. A very risky move for a skill position player, such as WR and/or RB. This will likely impact his earnings potential not only from an overall contract standpoint, but the chances he sees the end of that contract and it's payments are likely slim to none.

You might be sacrificing some years/money in the short term, but in the long-term, you'll make way more by getting to the market a second time. IMO - that should be his focus. My guess, they'll get something done next year because it benefits both sides (If I were him, I would strongly consider this year, though). If it gets to a tag situation - Chase is going to end up costing himself a lot of money, IMO, in the end.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Free access to Kiper Mock draft 2.0

I'm good with this...

If the Bengals happen to surprise and sign a solid RT for 3-4 years...based on how that mock fell, I'd then lean towards Keon Coleman from FUS - same measurables as Higgins - and would be a carbon copy to slide right into this offense...and for 1 year...you could easily have some intriguing Red-zone options with both Higgins and Coleman at 6'4 on the outside and then allowing Chase and others to use their speed and agility over the middle....

BurrowDeep2Chase

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be absolutely thrilled with Fuaga.

1709296507254.png

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Paul Dehner over at the athletic has an article about Dax and his positional future.

While I've been pretty stuck on the Bengals not likely drafting another higher (3rd round or up) Safety - the article (which I can only glance at because I don't have a sub) - made me think though...Dax did pretty well playing at CB and mostly (IIRC) in the slot...what if the Bengals feel he's better suited to be the next Hilton...

That could open the door to another Safety - either in F/A or in the draft, and would be intriguing because at least with Hill you would now have a guy with some real versatility - he can slide back and forth and not only helps your depth but your scheme.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Paul Dehner over at the athletic has an article about Dax and his positional future.

While I've been pretty stuck on the Bengals not likely drafting another higher (3rd round or up) Safety - the article (which I can only glance at because I don't have a sub) - made me think though...Dax did pretty well playing at CB and mostly (IIRC) in the slot...what if the Bengals feel he's better suited to be the next Hilton...

That could open the door to another Safety - either in F/A or in the draft, and would be intriguing because at least with Hill you would now have a guy with some real versatility - he can slide back and forth and not only helps your depth but your scheme.
I honestly think this is the eventual path for Hill. He looked fantastic when he was able to play near the line of scrimmage and either cover tight ends or blitz off the edge. I think he could become a real weapon as the slot corner and we've seen how much quality play at that position can impact the entire defense. Hilton has been a huge part of what Lou does and Dax might be the logical successor at that position.

Two obvious issues. First, Hill wouldn't take over until he's in the 4th year of his deal which means we would either have to pull the trigger on a 5th year option before seeing him there or risk losing him after only one year as the primary player at the position. Two, we still don't have another capable safety on the roster after Battle. It might be worth seeing what Geno Stone costs - Plug him in with Battle and you have an excellent back end and some flexibility with Hill as a tight-end stopper or 4th corner.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Kamren Curl - I think he is an excellent safety and while he will be getting a huge pay upgrade, he was only a 7th rounder, so I think it keeps him from topping out in the higher contracts. Maybe around 8 to 10 million.

BurrowDeep2Chase

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Players the Bengals met with at the combine:

• DE Chop Robinson, Penn State
  • DE Gabriel Murphy, UCLA
  • DE Jared Verse, Florida State
  • DE Jaylen Harrell, Michigan
  • DE Mohamed Kamara, Colorado State
  • DE Nelson Ceaser, Houston
  • DT Byron Murphy, Texas
  • DT Johnny Newton, Illinois
  • DT Ruke Orhorhoro, Clemson
  • DT T'Vondre Sweat, Texas
  • IOL Graham Barton, Duke
  • IOL Jackson Powers-Johnson, Oregon
  • IOL Zak Zinter, Michigan
  • OT Amarius Mims, Georgia
  • OT Jalen Sundell, North Dakota State
  • OT JC Latham, Alabama
  • OT Kingsley Suamataia, BYU
  • OT Patrick Paul, Houston
  • OT Roger Rosengarten, Washington
  • OT Taliese Fuaga, Oregon State
  • RB Blake Corum, Michigan
  • RB George Holani, Boise State
  • RB Ray Davis, Kentucky
  • RB Will Shipley, Clemson
  • TE AJ Barner, Michigan
  • TE Brock Bowers, Georgia
  • TE Dallin Holker, Colorado State
  • TE Erick All, Iowa
  • TE Ja'Tavion Sanders, Texas
  • WR Brendan Rice, USC
  • WR Brian Thomas Jr., LSU
  • WR Xavier Worthy, Texas

BurrowDeep2Chase

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We seemed to only have avoided spending time with secondary and linebackers.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We seemed to only have avoided spending time with secondary and linebackers.
Well, you have 4 DB's who are going into their 2nd or 3rd years....and Hilton and Scott (if he's not cut).

Chances are they will look to add depth here via F/A to add experience to the room. Not to say they can't/won't take a stab at someone if they are there in the draft, but this room needs more experience more than another draft pick at the moment.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, you have 4 DB's who are going into their 2nd or 3rd years....and Hilton and Scott (if he's not cut).

Chances are they will look to add depth here via F/A to add experience to the room. Not to say they can't/won't take a stab at someone if they are there in the draft, but this room needs more experience more than another draft pick at the moment.
100% agree. That was the biggest issue in our secondary last year was veteran experience and communication inside Anarumo's defensive scheme. We need a signal caller, a QB of the secondary out there that has a full view of the field can make calls and adjustments. That is where Hill kind of fell off last year I thought. I also thought Battle was a more in the box kind of safety, while a good leader, doesn't have a full view to make a lot of calls. That hybrid free safety needs to be deeper and have control in my opinion.

Start grooming Hill to take over for Hilton after this year as the flex DB who can be the slot DB or a 3rd safety. Get a true safety leader like Bates was and build from that. I still think Curl is the perfect safety for Anarumo's defense as he can do a little of everything and is a good leader from what I have read. Washington has so much money though that I can see them offering Curl more than he is worth to stick around.