• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2020 Season Cancelled at Morehouse

Kace-1

Game of Thoops!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bowdoin has also canceled their season and I'm wondering how many other schools will follow suit.

The COVID-19 pandemic has created massive uncertainty throughout the sports world throughout 2020. Friday brought some clarity for Morehouse College -- and it isn't good for its football team. The school announced that its two fall sports -- football and cross country -- will not field teams during the fall semester.

Full Read

PEOPLESCHICKEN

Dysfunctional Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's disappointing. However, with the rising numbers, especially in the southern region not a suprise

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just saw that Morehouse College's average annual cost after aid is $35,000 and they have a 51% graduation rate. Whoa!

olympicoscar

Life is what you've made of it.
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,999.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who thinks we're going to play the games that each team has scheduled?

Ohio State and Oregon, I'm having my doubts.

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The school is also losing LOTS of money

Oprah Winfrey gifted Morehouse $13,000,000
Robert F. Smith paid off student loans of the entire 2019 graduating class and paid off the loans taken out by their parents.

Still, with all these gifts

Morehouse College announces layoffs and furlough plan

In September 2019, Morehouse College had problems.

The budget gap was created by unpaid tuition and fees from about 500 students, nearly one-quarter of its enrollment. Thomas said Monday he’s discussed the furlough plan with college trustees and talked about Morehouse’s financial challenges with faculty in recent town hall meetings.

Shocking, nearly 25% of their student body DID NOT PAY THEIR BILLs. How did they go to school then? The school just let them attend class and graduate? So confused. Most schools would have stopped everything on the deadbeat students.

Most universities get the federal government to give loans to the students, then take the money and leave the federal government on the hook. Which means me.

78Cyclones

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who thinks we're going to play the games that each team has scheduled?

Ohio State and Oregon, I'm having my doubts.
I think that the season will try to start, but after cancellations, etc. mount, most schools will see the writing on the wall and just cancel / postpone / suspend the season before the end of September.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that the season will try to start, but after cancellations, etc. mount, most schools will see the writing on the wall and just cancel / postpone / suspend the season before the end of September.

B9R7Oc1A_VmVn2NDdoXKKNzTiQxxlSPNhACzWoF-0VT7ZcOH7UkL6QgMgo5JPtjRfWQ4Z9Qq_tpU8K3_APlhSDLZ7ZwTiEjWbEzPBzHmMBmLALU67cm9dWv9vGdX0Mohv38lxxLi

olympicoscar

Life is what you've made of it.
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,999.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

My worst fear.

Debbie Does

Question Authority
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Morehouse went 4-6 last year. Most people wouldn't notice their absence.

The Left has wanted to eliminate tough contact sports. Covid-19 is going to give them another opportunity to push their soccer agenda.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Inb4 SEC teams scrambling for replacement opponents. :D

NolePride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm more concerned about Bowdoin College canceling their season.

They play in a unique league. The BBC...Bowdoin, Bates and Colby.

They are the Polar Bears and they only have one school color...White. (Appropriate)
But for home games they needed a color jersey so they picked BLACK. Does that make them the
Black Bears? Nah, Maine is the Black Bears. Their home jersey color is Blue.

Go figure...

jwolt92

The voice of fuckin reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 68,125.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's tough! I think the effects (financially speaking) of canceling their season will be felt over the next few years.

I don't think many D2 schools are funding their school with football as much as you think. They only had 4 home games last year and a total capacity at their stadium of only 9000 people. The only way it's affecting them financially is if it's in a roundabout way in terms of applicants/students attending the school

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More tidbits

Appy State men's soccer, tennis among college teams cut because of coronavirus pandemic

Boise State to drop baseball, swimming and diving programs over budget concerns

DIVISION I (34)

Baseball (2): Chicago State, Furman. Boise State

Men’s cross country (2): Akron, y-Connecticut.

Men’s golf (2): Akron, Hampton.

Men’s lacrosse (1): Furman.

Men’s soccer (2): Appalachian State, Cincinnati.

Men’s swimming (2): y-Connecticut, East Carolina.

Men’s tennis (8): Appalachian State, Arkansas-Pine Bluff, y-Connecticut, East Carolina, Green Bay, Southern Utah, Winthrop, Wright State.

Men’s track (3): Appalachian State indoor only, Central Michigan, Florida International indoor only.

Men’s wrestling (1): Old Dominion. Boise State

Softball (1): Wright State.

Women’s golf (1): Hampton.

Women’s rowing (1): y-Connecticut.

Women’s tennis (7): Akron, Arkansas-Pine Bluff, East Carolina, Green Bay, Southern Utah, Winthrop, Wright State.

Women’s swimming (1): East Carolina. Boise State

Womens Diving Boise State

Churchillin

Hoopla Cash
$ 216.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bowdoin has also canceled their season and I'm wondering how many other schools will follow suit.

The COVID-19 pandemic has created massive uncertainty throughout the sports world throughout 2020. Friday brought some clarity for Morehouse College -- and it isn't good for its football team. The school announced that its two fall sports -- football and cross country -- will not field teams during the fall semester.

Full Read

So doeth Morehouse College, so doeth we all.

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I definitely don't see fans being in the stands this year. These schools without tv contracts have nothing to gain from playing this year as a result. FCS is the lowest level I could see playing this year, I think all the lower levels of college football will inevitably cancel their season

78Cyclones

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I definitely don't see fans being in the stands this year. These schools without tv contracts have nothing to gain from playing this year as a result. FCS is the lowest level I could see playing this year, I think all the lower levels of college football will inevitably cancel their season
Iowa State has planned well to go forward with a half full stadium if things calm down, or play with an empty stadium / cancel season pushing the season ticket holder payments to next year. They are being totally flexible about everything - which I like as a season ticket holder.

Not really tripping either way whether they play or don't play or have fans or don't have fans. If they play and allow fans, I'm not sure it is worth the risk and prolly defer. Bummer if they don't play though, as ISU should have one of their best teams ever this season. Just sucky timing!

On the other hand...The FCS is where it gets interesting!

If Drake (FCS PFL) plays, I do plan on going to every game I can, as they draw small crowds anyway, and I can go sit anywhere in the stadium and be isolated. Going to be tough on them though, as they have already had one team cancel on them (D II Hastings College to open the season).

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never heard of that school before this thread.

Morehouse is more widely known for having a a band larger than the state of Rhode Island.

Morehouse College Strategic Plan
Like all institutions of higher learning, Morehouse College must assess its own history and development and determine where it sits in the greater society now and in the years ahead.

Our strategic plan outlines our immediate path toward the future, leading us to character and capital preeminence. A renewed commitment to institutional excellence along with this strategic plan, will pave the way.

Character and Capital preeminence.......like getting students to pay their bills figure out how operate a college wityh financial responsibility. Tuition and Rommand Board is roughly $41,000 a year. Need a GPA of 3.2/ 4.0nfor admission. Morehouse touts that it is a Black University of privledged and academically gifted students.

They are Div. II in sports.

Martin Luther King is the most preeminent graduate.