• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019 Subaru Outback vs 2019 Mazda CX5

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The wife just bought a 2019 CX 3. Loves it.
Haven't looked at the Subaru.

Hope that helps

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Get the Subaru.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Car Manufacturers seem to being away from 6cyl and moving towards a turbo 4.

Turbo's are just another thing that can break but allow for better MPG

That will break...eventually.

I prefer naturally aspirated engines, (my car has a 3.7 v6)...but the twin turbo 3.0 6yl in the wife's bimmer is a really nice engine. I'm still not keen on the turbo 4s yet though...plenty of low end torque on the ones I've driven, but I'm just not there yet. Heck, I"m still considering a V8 for my next car...lol.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That will break...eventually.

I prefer naturally aspirated engines, (my car has a 3.7 v6)...but the twin turbo 3.0 6yl in the wife's bimmer is a really nice engine. I'm still not keen on the turbo 4s yet though...plenty of low end torque on the ones I've driven, but I'm just not there yet. Heck, I"m still considering a V8 for my next car...lol.

Both my cars are supercharged (V6 & V8). No turbo lag to speak of, and more linear.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both my cars are supercharged (V6 & V8). No turbo lag to speak of, and more linear.

My car has 141k miles on it. Still running great so I'm not really in a hurry to get rid of it, but I'm liking the Audi S5 a lot...2016-2018 somewhere in there. I've considered a 2015 V8 as well, drove one about a month ago. But most of the certified preowned cars are 2016 and newer.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My car has 141k miles on it. Still running great so I'm not really in a hurry to get rid of it, but I'm liking the Audi S5 a lot...2016-2018 somewhere in there. I've considered a 2015 V8 as well, drove one about a month ago. But most of the certified preowned cars are 2016 and newer.

I like the S5, basically the same as my S4 but I don't like coupes.

I thought the V8 disappeared in 2012? thought it was the same SC 3.0 litre they turboed it in 2017?

The RS5 has an 8.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the S5, basically the same as my S4 but I don't like coupes.

I thought the V8 disappeared in 2012? thought it was the same SC 3.0 litre they turboed it in 2017?

The RS5 has an 8.

I think coupes are selfish cars and at this point in my life, I’m very okay with a 2 door car, as long as the wife has a sedan in case we need to pick up guest from the airport or something.

But I’m not really a “need for speed” sports car kinda guy.

The v8 ran until 2012, you are right...that V8 I drove was a ‘12, the v6 was the ‘15. The newer RS5 has the 2.9 6 in it now I’m pretty sure, but they didn’t have any used ones on the lot in my price range.

They were trying hard to move that v8 car...they called me at least twice offering a better price on it.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think coupes are selfish cars and at this point in my life, I’m very okay with a 2 door car, as long as the wife has a sedan in case we need to pick up guest from the airport or something.

But I’m not really a “need for speed” sports car kinda guy.

The v8 ran until 2012, you are right...that V8 I drove was a ‘12, the v6 was the ‘15. The newer RS5 has the 2.9 6 in it now I’m pretty sure, but they didn’t have any used ones on the lot in my price range.

They were trying hard to move that v8 car...they called me at least twice offering a better price on it.

I know a fella with an S4 with the V8. My V6 gets off the line better and you can do a lot to it if you choose to given the supercharger. Easily chipped....

Even just putting my swim bag in the back seat is difficult with a coupe...

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know a fella with an S4 with the V8. My V6 gets off the line better and you can do a lot to it if you choose to given the supercharger. Easily chipped....

Even just putting my swim bag in the back seat is difficult with a coupe...

The 6 is quicker, lighter by a tad as well so maybe that's why, but the torque #s are pretty close I think. Most of the CPO cars I'm seeing are all 6s so most likely I'll buy a 6...the coupe will fit 2 golf bags and a couple of overnight type bags with both seats back...that's enough for me. :D

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 6 is quicker, lighter by a tad as well so maybe that's why, but the torque #s are pretty close I think. Most of the CPO cars I'm seeing are all 6s so most likely I'll buy a 6...the coupe will fit 2 golf bags and a couple of overnight type bags with both seats back...that's enough for me. :D

It's where the torque is though. The 8 takes a while to get there. The SC 6 is now more or less.

mall3013

SportsHoopla's #1 Bucknut
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still have not made my mind up, but I'm pretty sure I'm leaning towards the Outback. With that being said, I've been reading up on the new 2020 that should be coming out late summer and I may go all out on the newest Outback Touring model. It looks amazing and I love the new 11" screen on the dash. They have added more safety improvements from the 2 019. I can't wait to see this out later this summer.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have heard that Subaru is going away from the 6 cylinder and going with just the 2.5 for whatever reason? It will however have the turbocharged engine like the Ascent has. This will be tough. If I go with Subaru, it's a no brainer that I go with the 3.6R boxer engine.

Yes and no. They will be going to the 2.4 Turbo used in the Ascent

I have done a ton of research and if you want overall ride quality, reliability, retention value and safety the Outback is a superior. As mentioned earlier you will need to get the 6 cyl it is a heavier car and the 4 cyl lacks gusto. Kick in the fact that Subaru has the best all wheel drive in the world this is a no brainer. Mazda tries and succeeds at making their cars look pretty but they use chincy cabin parts and they simply can't touch Subaru when it comes to reliability. Kicker is you are gonna pay more.

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes and no. They will be going to the 2.4 Turbo used in the Ascent

I have done a ton of research and if you want overall ride quality, reliability, retention value and safety the Outback is a superior. As mentioned earlier you will need to get the 6 cyl it is a heavier car and the 4 cyl lacks gusto. Kick in the fact that Subaru has the best all wheel drive in the world this is a no brainer. Mazda tries and succeeds at making their cars look pretty but they use chincy cabin parts and they simply can't touch Subaru when it comes to reliability. Kicker is you are gonna pay more.

I dont think you've sat in either. Subaru is known for using cheap, some may say chintzy cabin parts. They are way more of a no frills kind of car. Mazda has some of the best cabin and cabin parts and pieces in the car world. Certainly in their price range. And they're way more fun to drive. The zoom zoom thing is a real part of their company they try to make their cars better driving than most other companies focus on.

Between Mazda and Subaru I think it comes down to Mazda being a better driving car and more comfortable to sit in as well. And Subaru being more capable and probably longer lasting.

If you were gonna keep it on the road only, no snow and only leasing for 3-4 years I would say it's an easy choice for Mazda. If you're keeping it for 20 years and going to be going off grid camping in the summer and northern winters it's probably an easy win for Subaru. Most of us are somewhere between those 2 so we have to decide which is more Important to us.

And it's not like the Maxda cant drive off road or in snow. Just like it's not like Subaru is some sort of torture device. Either one will do fine at b.c. the things the other does slightly better.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont think you've sat in either. Subaru is known for using cheap, some may say chintzy cabin parts. They are way more of a no frills kind of car. Mazda has some of the best cabin and cabin parts and pieces in the car world. Certainly in their price range. And they're way more fun to drive. The zoom zoom thing is a real part of their company they try to make their cars better driving than most other companies focus on.

Between Mazda and Subaru I think it comes down to Mazda being a better driving car and more comfortable to sit in as well. And Subaru being more capable and probably longer lasting.

If you were gonna keep it on the road only, no snow and only leasing for 3-4 years I would say it's an easy choice for Mazda. If you're keeping it for 20 years and going to be going off grid camping in the summer and northern winters it's probably an easy win for Subaru. Most of us are somewhere between those 2 so we have to decide which is more Important to us.

And it's not like the Maxda cant drive off road or in snow. Just like it's not like Subaru is some sort of torture device. Either one will do fine at b.c. the things the other does slightly better.

Youre just wrong. Not sure when you last drove and Outback I test dove one last year and speak with several owners often.

As to lease NEVER would I lease a car waste of money IMO. But in the end people get what they like most don't do the research. If I live in an area with lot's of snow the Outback over the Mazda is a no brainer

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

While Mazda interiors are pretty, (nicer than Subaru, but the new models are greatly improved) they are notorious for their interior noise on the highway - lack of insulation. You are correct in that Mazda focuses more on the driving dynamics, but durability and capability, they don't hold up against a Subaru.

As I've said in this thread, I'll be looking at replacing my Escape at some time. Given my location (live in the country/long cold winters), I'll need a capable machine, and I'd take the Subaru over the Mazda every day.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I just test drive two outbacks and they were very nice inside. The entry model leaves a little to be desired with the center console and HUD but any upgrade vastly improves this and even the entry model has leather trim accents.

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just test drive two outbacks and they were very nice inside. The entry model leaves a little to be desired with the center console and HUD but any upgrade vastly improves this and even the entry model has leather trim accents.

I didn't say Subarus were pos inside or anything. I said Mazda's were clearly and demonstrably nicer. I love Subarus I've owned several myself and as soon as they put a real transmission into them, or continue improving the CVT I'm sure I'll buy another.