• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019 Subaru Outback vs 2019 Mazda CX5

mall3013

SportsHoopla's #1 Bucknut
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know there is probably a thread in regard to SUV somewhere, but I kind of narrowed my decision down a bit. Do any of you own or have some insight on either of these vehicles? I have been leaning towards the Outback 3.6R for awhile now, but a friend of mine just purchased the Mazda CX5 and it's beautiful. Need some opinions here please. Or any suggestions on another vehicle without breaking the bank. I'm not leasing.

PnkPanther

Hoopla Cash
$ 253.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Between the 2 I really like the Mazda CX5, I think it's better car

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the ex had the 6 cyl Outback...I think it was a 2018...fully loaded...it was a really nice ride and really had some good acceleration. If you are going to go with the Outback, I think the 6 cyl is needed because it is a heavier car and I think a 4 banger wouldn't be enough to move it right.

mall3013

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the ex had the 6 cyl Outback...I think it was a 2018...fully loaded...it was a really nice ride and really had some good acceleration. If you are going to go with the Outback, I think the 6 cyl is needed because it is a heavier car and I think a 4 banger wouldn't be enough to move it right.
I have heard that Subaru is going away from the 6 cylinder and going with just the 2.5 for whatever reason? It will however have the turbocharged engine like the Ascent has. This will be tough. If I go with Subaru, it's a no brainer that I go with the 3.6R boxer engine.

PnkPanther

Hoopla Cash
$ 253.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have heard that Subaru is going away from the 6 cylinder and going with just the 2.5 for whatever reason? It will however have the turbocharged engine like the Ascent has. This will be tough. If I go with Subaru, it's a no brainer that I go with the 3.6R boxer engine.

Car Manufacturers seem to being away from 6cyl and moving towards a turbo 4.

Turbo's are just another thing that can break but allow for better MPG

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
obligatory lesbian comment

mall3013

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Car Manufacturers seem to being away from 6cyl and moving towards a turbo 4.

Turbo's are just another thing that can break but allow for better MPG
I wonder if this is the case, if dealers will give better deals to clean off the lot for newer inventory?

PnkPanther

Hoopla Cash
$ 253.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if this is the case, if dealers will give better deals to clean off the lot for newer inventory?

If they're not selling, yes.

Since you're open to Wagons, the Volvo V60 base model is same price as high end Outback and I think is a little nicer. Volvo's have been plagued with infotainment issues bringing their reliability down a bit though

Compact SUV, CX-5 is way I'd go if I was buying new

I plan to buy slightly used 2018 Audi q5 this summer

mall3013

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they're not selling, yes.

Since you're open to Wagons, the Volvo V60 base model is same price as high end Outback and I think is a little nicer. Volvo's have been plagued with infotainment issues bringing their reliability down a bit though

Compact SUV, CX-5 is way I'd go if I was buying new

I plan to buy slightly used 2018 Audi q5 this summer
Nice! Audi is a fantastic vehicle. Anything with German engineering behind it is a pretty safe bet. I may even look into the VW Tiguan possibly.

PnkPanther

Hoopla Cash
$ 253.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice! Audi is a fantastic vehicle. Anything with German engineering behind it is a pretty safe bet. I may even look into the VW Tiguan possibly.

CX-5 is sportier than the Tiguan and I believe gets better gas mileage. I like Tiguan, but think CX-5 is better. Test drive both though

Bullitt08

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A good friend just bought the Subaru 3.6 Outback. He was replacing another Outback with 240,000 miles on it that was still in sound shape he just wanted something newer.

Can't think of a higher recommendation. He is a gear head par excellence.He currently owns about 60 vehicles and is the main guy I do track days with.

Personally the Mazda looks better but I would go with the boxer v6.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll take the Subie all day...especially in the snow. Better AWD system and ground clearance. I'm thinking about replacing my runaround Escape with a Crosstrek.

mall3013

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll take the Subie all day...especially in the snow. Better AWD system and ground clearance. I'm thinking about replacing my runaround Escape with a Crosstrek.
This is great info here. I live south of Buffalo and we live in a major snow belt area off Lake Erie. Thanks for that. That's good to know.

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I loved my Subaru, but they dont offer them in manual anymore and they don't have a conventional gearbox option anymore either. I HATE HATE HATE their CVT transmission. But thats the only thing I diislike about it. So try it and see if you mind.

I'm about to trade in my used Infiniti I bought last year and get a cx9 in the next few months. I really wanted to go with the cx5 in the limited trim option with the turbo 2.5 instead of the 2.0. It's got that dual tune for using regular unleaded or putting premium in for an extra 30 hp on a nice day. Same engine as the cx9 on a smaller vehicle. The only problem is I'm too tall for the cx5. If I sit up straight my head is firmly against the roof, and just trying to get in the doorframe hits me in the cheekbone. Tuck my chin and bend my neck and everything I try I still scrape my face against the door frame getting in. If I could buy an aftermarket seat or something that was 2-3 inches lower than the lowest setting I would be getting a cx5. The base engine is just a bit of a dog though. 3specially if you're comparing it to the 3.6

mall3013

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I loved my Subaru, but they dont offer them in manual anymore and they don't have a conventional gearbox option anymore either. I HATE HATE HATE their CVT transmission. But thats the only thing I diislike about it. So try it and see if you mind.

I'm about to trade in my used Infiniti I bought last year and get a cx9 in the next few months. I really wanted to go with the cx5 in the limited trim option with the turbo 2.5 instead of the 2.0. It's got that dual tune for using regular unleaded or putting premium in for an extra 30 hp on a nice day. Same engine as the cx9 on a smaller vehicle. The only problem is I'm too tall for the cx5. If I sit up straight my head is firmly against the roof, and just trying to get in the doorframe hits me in the cheekbone. Tuck my chin and bend my neck and everything I try I still scrape my face against the door frame getting in. If I could buy an aftermarket seat or something that was 2-3 inches lower than the lowest setting I would be getting a cx5. The base engine is just a bit of a dog though. 3specially if you're comparing it to the 3.6
I will have same problem then. I own a Hyundai Santa Fe and I can't properly sit in it properly because I'm tall. If I sit up straight my head is touching the roof. Good to know, thanks.

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will have same problem then. I own a Hyundai Santa Fe and I can't properly sit in it properly because I'm tall. If I sit up straight my head is touching the roof. Good to know, thanks.

Cx9 is not too much more $ but it's a lot more car. It's a full 3 row crossover with 7 passenger. But it had a lot roomier drivers compartment. And I have 3 kids aged 11, 13, and 15 and I live 2+ hours away from the ex wife. So they appreciate the extra room too.

I'm also taller in cars than most people I know. I'm only 6'1 but have the same 30" inseam as my brother who is 5'7. So I have a super tall upper body. Plus a fat are so, I might 2-3 inch3s of cushion built in over skinny folks. I've seen people who were 6'6 say there was plenty of headroom in a car before, and then I thought it was too tight.

So try it out. But just a fair warning.

mall3013

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cx9 is not too much more $ but it's a lot more car. It's a full 3 row crossover with 7 passenger. But it had a lot roomier drivers compartment. And I have 3 kids aged 11, 13, and 15 and I live 2+ hours away from the ex wife. So they appreciate the extra room too.

I'm also taller in cars than most people I know. I'm only 6'1 but have the same 30" inseam as my brother who is 5'7. So I have a super tall upper body. Plus a fat are so, I might 2-3 inch3s of cushion built in over skinny folks. I've seen people who were 6'6 say there was plenty of headroom in a car before, and then I thought it was too tight.

I don't really need 3rd row seating although it would be nice I guess. I usually volunteer for my son's boy scouts to drive on the longer trips. I have a lot to think about for sure. For me, safety is priority. I know the Subaru has scored high ratings in that regard. Also, having AWD is a must for this wintry conditions I have to drive in.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is great info here. I live south of Buffalo and we live in a major snow belt area off Lake Erie. Thanks for that. That's good to know.

Yeah...living in Northern Ontario, we get enough of that stuff where every vehicle I have has either AWD or 4WD. I hear mostly good things about Mazda's, although I'm unfamiliar with their AWD setup. I just know that Subaru's system is world renowned.

Win TWINS!!!

Least Racist Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.74
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Are you in a circus or freak show?

mall3013

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah...living in Northern Ontario, we get enough of that stuff where every vehicle I have has either AWD or 4WD. I hear mostly good things about Mazda's, although I'm unfamiliar with their AWD setup. I just know that Subaru's system is world renowned.
I admit that I have been in love with the 3.6 R for quite some time. I'm hoping that the price will drop a little,but doubtful. I like that they hold their value as well. I've been looking at the 3.6R Touring.