• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2018 Draft...way too early talk

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the people making those big boards (Kiper and Mayock for example) were any good at this they'd be working for a team and not projecting drafts for a living. Plus the teams have access to a lot more info than any outsiders get so projecting what they're thinking is a crap shoot at best. That said the proof is always on the field. Some players play at or above their draft position and some below it. It's just the nature of the beast.

Yep...I think Kiper or the other one was an NFL scout maybe, but I've said many times on Kiper...he's carved out a nice lucrative hustle for himself, and I've never been one to knock a man's legal hustle, but it is a crap shoot at best.

Believe it or not, as late as the 80s there were teams (ATL) that relied on 3rd party scouting services and didn't even have their own scouting department. It was no accident the Steelers were stacking the deck in the late 60s and 70s drafts...they had boots on the ground.

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rudolph was top 5 on a lot of boards early on. He, Rosen & Jackson were the guys everyone wanted. Then Josh Allen & Sam Darnold draft stocks skyrocketed and everyone sort of forgot about Mason. I never understood the Josh Allen hype. Big arm, good mobility and that's it. Questionable accuracy, awareness, mechanics, etc. His college numbers were pretty awful against subpar defenses. Buffalo thinks they got a steal, but they have a very raw product right now. They better pray that he transitions quickly, but IMO I think he'll be a bust.
Honestly I had Mayfiled and Darnold at 1A and 1B and then everyone else. I do like Mason about as much as Allen and Rosen and more than Jackson.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly I had Mayfiled and Darnold at 1A and 1B and then everyone else. I do like Mason about as much as Allen and Rosen and more than Jackson.

I had the QBs ranked like this before the draft:

Josh Allen
Mason Rudolph
Baker Mayfield
Sam Darnold
Josh Rosen
Lamar Jackson

I've always liked Mason. I wish we had drafted a LB, but it is what it is at this point. Maybe they are really confident in Bostic?

Ewa PGH Fan

Glade City, PA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep...I think Kiper or the other one was an NFL scout maybe, but I've said many times on Kiper...he's carved out a nice lucrative hustle for himself, and I've never been one to knock a man's legal hustle, but it is a crap shoot at best.

Believe it or not, as late as the 80s there were teams (ATL) that relied on 3rd party scouting services and didn't even have their own scouting department. It was no accident the Steelers were stacking the deck in the late 60s and 70s drafts...they had boots on the ground.
I believe it. Bill Nunn was their secret weapon.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mayfield wasn't even on my radar until about March. I just didn't see his traits transitioning to the nfl very well. But he crept up my boards and settling in at 2 or 3. My main issue with him as always been NFL fit. I think he would have been much better off playing in the AFCS or NFCS. He a more refined product than Rudolph, but I couldn't justify putting him higher than someone like Darnold or Rosen who could go just about anywhere.

My predraft ranking:
1. Rosen
2. Darnold
3. Mayfield
4. Rudolph
5. Jackson
6. Allen

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mayfield wasn't even on my radar until about March. I just didn't see his traits transitioning to the nfl very well. But he crept up my boards and settling in at 2 or 3. My main issue with him as always been NFL fit. I think he would have been much better off playing in the AFCS or NFCS. He a more refined product than Rudolph, but I couldn't justify putting him higher than someone like Darnold or Rosen who could go just about anywhere.

My predraft ranking:
1. Rosen
2. Darnold
3. Mayfield
4. Rudolph
5. Jackson
6. Allen
That's probably where I had them accept switch out Mayfield and Rosen and Jackson and Allen.

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Newsflash - Ben doesn't like the Rudolph pick. Outside chance he's going to be a prick about it too. Hahaha.

I love me some Ben but that poor Rudolph kid haha.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Gilbert & AVill better watch out! If Munchak thinks the kid is a day 1 draft prospect, then this kid is going to be gold.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's the thing. I've said the answers to these questions multiple times in multiple threads over the last 3-4 years but people either write it off as the crazy ramblings of a stupid uneducated fan or just don't bother to listen or read what I say because I pissed them off in another conversation.

We could've drafted Lamar Jackson in 2018. We could've gotten Teddy Bridgewater for cheap in 2018 AND 2019. We could've drafted Jalen Hurts instead of Chase Claypool. As much as I love Claypool, we didn't need another WR drafted.

Just picture this. Our 2022 roster is headlined by our new starting quarterback, Mason Rudolph, and our backup is Dwayne Haskins. How fucking confident are you in that fucking team?

Also, I'm not trying to change minds, it doesn't matter at this point because its a coulda woulda shoulda conversation. What's done is and has been done and we as fans have been dealt a shitty hand. All I'm trying to do is say...I was right. We needed a plan and it never came. Everyone (generalization) on here was pissed when we drafted for the future in 2018 but we actually SETTLED for Mason Rudolph. It was the right move to draft a QB in 2018, just the wrong QB. Once again, I was right about that. Wrong about Mason being the guy, but right about needing to draft for the future.

Would also love to know what your thought are about our current QB situation AND our potential QB situation for the next 2-3 years. If I'm wrong that we didn't need a plan, then I'm guessing you are completely happy with it.
I had the QBs ranked like this before the draft:

Josh Allen
Mason Rudolph
Baker Mayfield
Sam Darnold
Josh Rosen
Lamar Jackson

I've always liked Mason. I wish we had drafted a LB, but it is what it is at this point. Maybe they are really confident in Bostic?

I would be behind that trade all day. Dix fills a hole (pun intended) and there'd be a clear path that we SHOULD take in the draft. I just can't get behind taking QB in the first, even if its Lamar Jackson. I honestly think a guy like Mason Rudolph would be a good fit here. But he's likely gone before we can get him and I'm not even sold we should be drafting a QB this year. I'd like to see what this Dobbs kid has.
Yes those are your post from 2018, pumping mason as a good fit and ahead of lamar, comfortably. Heck you had rosen and darnold ahead of lamar.

But today you state we could of taken lamar and prepared better. Color me confused on revisionist history.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes those are your post from 2018, pumping mason as a good fit and ahead of lamar, comfortably. Heck you had rosen and darnold ahead of lamar.

But today you state we could of taken lamar and prepared better. Color me confused on revisionist history.
SP FROM THE TOP ROPE

Dallas Check This Out GIF

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SP FROM THE TOP ROPE

Dallas Check This Out GIF
Its just easy to say you pumped a plan, and give examples, when your looking back on it three years later…

Lends to my point that its not easy to have a plan and execute it, almost all teams fail at it. This is just another example. If we followed his big board in 2018, we’d be worse off than we are.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its just easy to say you pumped a plan, and give examples, when your looking back on it three years later…

Lends to my point that its not easy to have a plan and execute it, almost all teams fail at it. This is just another example. If we followed his big board in 2018, we’d be worse off than we are.
Narcissistic behavior to only focus on supporting your arguments without actually knowing what you originally said.

100% agree. I'm more of a "increase your odds" type of armchair GM. At least in regards to QB. Gotta provide multiple options to give yourself the best chances of success when dealing with that position. I want a rookie drafted and a vet FA, and at this point I don't care who is the starter. Just need to overhaul the position and give them better options. In a perfect scenario they draft a rookie and find a bridge FA (capable starter). I don't know how I feel about Ben next year. I know he's already on record sayin he wants to come back and I think he is capable of being that bridge FA, however I think he already is playing that role and the team is biding its time until the replacement is found. And we know Ben wants to be the starter, and I don't really want to deal with the mess that could create. If I want Ben to come back then it would have to be at the cost of him being viewed as a backup.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Narcissistic behavior to only focus on supporting your arguments without actually knowing what you originally said.
Lolol.
100% agree. I'm more of a "increase your odds" type of armchair GM. At least in regards to QB. Gotta provide multiple options to give yourself the best chances of success when dealing with that position. I want a rookie drafted and a vet FA, and at this point I don't care who is the starter. Just need to overhaul the position and give them better options. In a perfect scenario they draft a rookie and find a bridge FA (capable starter). I don't know how I feel about Ben next year. I know he's already on record sayin he wants to come back and I think he is capable of being that bridge FA, however I think he already is playing that role and the team is biding its time until the replacement is found. And we know Ben wants to be the starter, and I don't really want to deal with the mess that could create. If I want Ben to come back then it would have to be at the cost of him being viewed as a backup.
Yeah i dont disagree. I think we are thinking very similar. Im on board with a young qb and a bridge qb. Dont get me wrong. If rodgers or someone falls into our laps then lfg. Im not gonna be super mad giving up first round picks either for that. But you shoot your shot then, like the rams. Go all in. But yeah ben may cause quite the issue if hes dead set on going year to year with declining play.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lolol.

Yeah i dont disagree. I think we are thinking very similar. Im on board with a young qb and a bridge qb. Dont get me wrong. If rodgers or someone falls into our laps then lfg. Im not gonna be super mad giving up first round picks either for that. But you shoot your shot then, like the rams. Go all in. But yeah ben may cause quite the issue if hes dead set on going year to year with declining play.
Agreed. If they have a realistic opportunity to land someone then make the offer. I just pray that they do something to fix the OL at the same time.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like many have said, it's easy to look back on this 3 years in the future and say what we should've done and not have done. All I was saying was, this team is in trouble and our front office should've had the foresight to see that as well. Pick apart what I've said and when I said it, but at the end of the day, our front office has let us down for years and we are now paying for it. None of us are paid the big bucks to make these decisions so we just play armchair GM which every fan does and if you say you don't, you're a liar.

Tl;dr - Our front office sucks.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like many have said, it's easy to look back on this 3 years in the future and say what we should've done and not have done. All I was saying was, this team is in trouble and our front office should've had the foresight to see that as well. Pick apart what I've said and when I said it, but at the end of the day, our front office has let us down for years and we are now paying for it. None of us are paid the big bucks to make these decisions so we just play armchair GM which every fan does and if you say you don't, you're a liar.

Tl;dr - Our front office sucks.
Sooo but you have said things like taking lamar over rudolph would of prepared us.....your comments now, don't reflect your comments from the past..

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sooo but you have said things like taking lamar over rudolph would of prepared us.....your comments now, don't reflect your comments from the past..
Yeah, like I said, I was wrong about Mason. I've admitted that numerous times. Doesn't change the fact that the people in charge of this organization who get paid multi millions of dollars to have a plan for success, didn't have a plan for success.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, like I said, I was wrong about Mason. I've admitted that numerous times. Doesn't change the fact that the people in charge of this organization who get paid multi millions of dollars to have a plan for success, didn't have a plan for success.
Your’re missing the point. Your arguments recently, literally run counter to what you say. Its walking both sides of the line. U also were very wrong on lamar. But just recently told us how the steelers could of drafted lamar and been ok….. you are revising history and hoping we dont notice, but we did.