• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017 Regular Season Thread

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good-- the team needs to continue the current course. With the fifth worst run differential, they can easily end up with a top-10 pick if they try hard enough.

(In fact, they have an outside shot at getting the #1 pick-- they're only 10.5 games ahead of the Phillies right now with 89 games to go. To get there, though, the Orioles will need to find a way to stop winning at home-- that 24-14 home record is not going to help with the goal of tanking the rest of the season for a faster rebuild process!)
I think if they stay the course, a top 5 pick isn't out of the realm of possibility. Bundy looks like he's worn down and can't wait for the all star break to come, Miley is starting to regress to what we're used to, Tillman it looks like came back too early from his injury, Gausman just hasn't had it at all this year and Ubaldo is being typical Ubaldo. With that mixture, it's almost guaranteed since I have a feeling that Dan probably won't sell at the trade deadline and will make plenty of excuses as to why he's not. I really wish we would've let him go to Toronto when we had the chance.

mikeytheman247

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even with the Orioles in a tailspin over the last six weeks, executive VP of baseball operations Dan Duquette said it was “a little premature” to consider whether or not his team will be sellers at the trade deadline, Jon Meoli of the Baltimore Sun writes. If anything, the O’s are still considering making an upgrade to their struggling rotation.

Our pitching hasn’t been up to standards,” Duquette said. “We’re going to keep our eye out and try to get our pitching back to a competitive level, and see if we can make some additions to the team and see where we are in terms of contending for a playoff spot.”

OH god no! This is what I was afraid of. Front office is delusional and thinks they can make the playoffs. They'll probably trade another good starting pitcher in the minors for a career 4 era starter.

hattersgonnahate

Armchair Sabermetrician
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OH god no! This is what I was afraid of. Front office is delusional and thinks they can make the playoffs. They'll probably trade another good starting pitcher in the minors for a career 4 era starter.

Given the benefit of hindsight, the 15-8 (0.652) hot start in April might be the worst thing that could have happened to the 2017 Orioles (!) for two reasons:
  1. It provides a false sense of security ("we can still contend"). As things now stand, the front office is technically correct that the Orioles are still in the hunt for the #2 wildcard (they're only 3 games back right now).

2. You wouldn't know how bad this team actually is until you've seen the data for May and June so far: They've gone 12-16 (0.429) and 9-14 (0.391) since April. Had the Orioles performed as badly in April as they had in May/June, the overall win percentage of 0.412 would be good for dead last in the AL, and 27th in the MLB overall (ahead of only the Reds by a hair, plus the Giants and the Phillies).

Last edited:

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Once again, Tillman gets in trouble and Buck tries to ride it out, only to fail.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Once again, Tillman gets in trouble and Buck tries to ride it out, only to fail.
Really wish that he had stayed on the DL an extra week or two until he was able to get full motion on his pitches. Same with Britton.

hattersgonnahate

Armchair Sabermetrician
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Am I the only one who's upset about this winning streak because going 0.500 is going to slow down the rebuild effort...?

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I'm just worried he's going to be a buyer this July.
Say we do become "buyers", who exactly do we have to offer? Sisco is about the only prospect that we currently have that is desirable, and even he isn't going to bring back anything of quality. I won't be the least bit surprised if we don't make any moves at all.

hattersgonnahate

Armchair Sabermetrician
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I'm just worried he's going to be a buyer this July.

Say we do become "buyers", who exactly do we have to offer? Sisco is about the only prospect that we currently have that is desirable, and even he isn't going to bring back anything of quality. I won't be the least bit surprised if we don't make any moves at all.

Exactly my point. If the Orioles organization doesn't start a full rebuild right away (they should), I'd rather see them stand pat and end up with a result similar to 2015, as trying to contend for the 2nd wildcard isn't really worth it (the most you could expect is a repeat of 2013 or 2016).

mikeytheman247

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree on a rebuild. The farm is terrible, major league pitchers are terrible, offensive players are getting older ie. Hardy, Jones, Trumbo.

Dan gave away E-Rod and Zach Davies in the past I'm sure other teams will want other players besides Sisco for a 2 month rental.

tedman2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 981.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
while the record in the minors isn't great . well the o's hitting wise mountcastle it is being said he is the best hitter the o's have ever had . so if he is better than boom boom I want to see it at short everyday . mullins is better than kim today a true cf . they have another outfielder at aa tearing the cover off the ball . scott and akin is working their way up . Harvey is back soon . this team could fix it self hard to think we would lead our div with a healthy britton . boom boom stands a good chance at roy . so mountcastle at short schoop 2nd many at 3rd davis at 1st boom boom lf aj cf mullins in rf sisco c Trumbo dh . caleb bench rickard gentry and janish not bad so where is the rebuild needed ? gausman is getting better with bundy pick up some starter and lets go .

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
while the record in the minors isn't great . well the o's hitting wise mountcastle it is being said he is the best hitter the o's have ever had . so if he is better than boom boom I want to see it at short everyday . mullins is better than kim today a true cf . they have another outfielder at aa tearing the cover off the ball . scott and akin is working their way up . Harvey is back soon . this team could fix it self hard to think we would lead our div with a healthy britton . boom boom stands a good chance at roy . so mountcastle at short schoop 2nd many at 3rd davis at 1st boom boom lf aj cf mullins in rf sisco c Trumbo dh . caleb bench rickard gentry and janish not bad so where is the rebuild needed ? gausman is getting better with bundy pick up some starter and lets go .
Do you think that Bundy is going to be able to go at this rate throughout the rest of the season? He pitched around 110 innings last year and is only a little over 10 innings away from matching that already. I don't see them risking Bundy probably going over 150-160 innings at the most. As for the other pitchers, Tillman obviously came back too soon, Miley is reverting back into what we were seeing last year and Ubaldo is the same shitty Ubaldo when he's not facing a team in the National League. As for Gausman, I want to see him pitch more like his last outing on a consistent basis before I say he's getting better. So with that rotation, along with inconsistent hitting, I can't honestly see this team being a serious competitor in September with this roster makeup. Which is why I wish Dumpster Diving Dan would do what Cashman did last year and get something for these guys while most of them still have some value and play for next year. Whether I'd trust him to get the haul the Yankees did for their players is a different story.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree on a rebuild. The farm is terrible, major league pitchers are terrible, offensive players are getting older ie. Hardy, Jones, Trumbo.

Dan gave away E-Rod and Zach Davies in the past I'm sure other teams will want other players besides Sisco for a 2 month rental.
While trading away E-Rod sucked, at least Miller was a great addition to the bullpen those final months of the season. The Davies trade is one I'd like to have back though since Parra sucked in his brief time here.

mikeytheman247

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While trading away E-Rod sucked, at least Miller was a great addition to the bullpen those final months of the season. The Davies trade is one I'd like to have back though since Parra sucked in his brief time here.

I agree with Miller. Plus we had a better team that year.

tedman2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 981.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
with caleb working at 1st and third makes me wonder if maybe we getting ready for a manny shift to short and a sisco call up ?

tedman2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 981.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Austin hayes is 17 s boom boom he is 21 yo and just killing it at aa . so good bye aj I say release rickard kim and

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was that Cy Young on the mound tonight?

mikeytheman247

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Austin hayes is 17 s boom boom he is 21 yo and just killing it at aa . so good bye aj I say release rickard kim and

Jones is a free agent after next season. Minus well trade him now and get some prospects.

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What a terrible sequence for Brach.