• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017 Commit List (in OP) and general recruiting thread

Brasky

Till We Can't Be Beat. WON'T. BE. BEAT.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
“For all the Tommy Armstrong touchdowns, scrambling around, that’s not football,” Johnson said. “You can’t win on a consistent basis with a quarterback like that. When [Riley’s staff] inherited the program, they didn’t even have any quarterbacks that fit their system. Tommy Armstrong was the most experienced and the best available quarterback that was on the roster and that’s what you’ve got. So you had to find creative ways to win with him.”

:pound:

Brasky

Till We Can't Be Beat. WON'T. BE. BEAT.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Johnson also doesn’t believe rankings tell the full story about an athlete or what a team can accomplish. Noting former Nebraska quarterback Johnny Stanton, Johnson was clear that just because an athlete is ranked high out of high school doesn’t mean they’ll pan out. Instead, it’s how the coaches develop a player that makes a team a contender on the national stage.

“If you’re recruiting people based on rankings, it doesn’t mean anything,” Johnson said. “It doesn’t mean Nebraska can’t win a national title just because they don’t have a top-tier recruiting class. It doesn’t mean anything. It means absolutely nothing.”

Going forward, Johnson stresses patience to Nebraska fans. Instead of worrying about rankings and win-loss records, he wants fans to take a step back.

“Let the meals cook and wait for it to be prepared at the table,” Johnson said. “That’s all. That’s it. Jut wait for the meal to be cooked and for it to be prepared at the table. Don’t be in such a hurry. You’re not winning a national title next year anyway, so just relax. Let them build the program. You’ve got to let them build the program. You can’t get so caught up in what everybody else is doing because everybody else is already ahead of you. You’re playing catch up because Bo Pelini had you behind. You’re playing catch up now. So just let the program build. Let it build.”

Johnson is also not a fan of suggesting Coach Mike Riley and his staff have a timetable to accomplish their goals. Part of letting the program build is also having realistic expectations.

“Enough with this, ‘He won six games the first year, it’s a disaster!’ and ‘I can’t believe they lost to Iowa and Ohio State!’” Johnson said. “You were going to lose to Ohio State. You were going to lose to Wisconsin. That was going to happen.”

Doesn't mince words. I hope he doesn't go rogue on us when/if the vultures start circling.

gobigred

Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,849,613.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We should at least have 2 guys commit tomorrow? That's all I got. However, the 2018 class has a ton of potential right now. So that's good.

Daniels and Blades ?

HuskerPower52

The Dirty sponge
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"you're not winning a national championship next year anyway" fired me up.

Cuz we know we got a Natty on a Platty

corn train

Have some of it
Hoopla Cash
$ 76,445.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Calvin Kline = Derrion Grim
Coach Williams ain't got time to ween punks off the fresh milk

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like what Mr. Johnson says. And he is right.

Look what Iowa and Michigan State has done. With good coaching, they took low star recruits and made undefeated and CFP teams.

Mr. Riley is not letting past relationships mean you can keep your job even if you are not performing. Bruce Read and Mark Banker, gone.

I like Keyshawn Johnson as a Dad. I bet Keyshawn, the son, is pretty well grounded young man.

tometom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,219.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with Johnson's assessment for the most part. development has been down at NU, i've been saying that for years. still kinda looking for it, who would you say dramatically improved from year 1 to year 2 of Riley? Young regressed, the DBs tackled better, still no DEs stepping up (FA didn't look any better). On offense, ton of injuries across o-line, WR it's hard to judge when QB play is poor, RBs didn't look any better, partially the poor o-line play again.

on the other side, you can polish a turd all you want, it's still a turd. rankings have some basis in truth, sure they miss on guys and underrate them, but those are guys who maybe haven't had as much coaching and work balls out throughout college to prove people wrong. Look at some of the best NFL players that had low ratings in HS, most of their stories are a combination of work ethic, drive/desire, and in some cases growth spurts that didn't happen until college. we've unfortunately missed on a great deal of these guys over the past years. We've also missed on a bunch of 4 stars as well, i think someone else posted a list somewhere (maybe i saw it on twitter).

so, anyway. i agree that they need time to implement the system and rebuild.

Footballnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Should we start a new thread for signing day or keep it all here? What's the consensus?

Footballnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll answer my own question... gonna leave it all in this thread please... I will put players in bold when their NLI's come in.

Skerpokes

Calmer Than You Are
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kurt Rafdal N

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll answer my own question... gonna leave it all in this thread please... I will put players in bold when their NLI's come in.

Sounds good to me.

Makes sense to leave all 2017 in this thread. This way, when we are bored, we can page back and look at the stupid stuff we said on page 50, etc.

gobigred

Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,849,613.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ward and Sichterman N as well

Footballnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
alright, finally getting ready to go, had to take care of a few things this morning but let's get going.

Footballnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alright... as of now I have Austin Allen, Brendan Jaimes, Deontre Thomas, Matt Sichterman, Ben Miles, Andrew Ward, Jaylin Bradley, Chris Walker and Kurt Rafdal all officially N... along with EE Jaevon McQuitty, Keyshawn Johnson Jr., Tristan Gebbia and Avery Roberts

That leaves Willie Hampton, Broc Bando, Guy Thomas, Deiontae Watts, Tyjon Lindsey and Jamire Calvin of the known commitments. Serious doubts on Guy Thomas and Calvin signing. Stay tuned.

Footballnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Add Willie Hampton to that list

Footballnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2