• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017-18 Bundesliga

rsw626

Ayatollah of Rock n Rolla
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,356.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not to change the subject, but I see you're a fan of Formula 1. Who's your favorite driver? Mine's Fernando Alonso. Reason being when I started following F1, Schumacher was dominating. So when Alonso beat him out for the title in '05, I jumped on the bandwagon. I was a fan, until his accident, of Robert Kubica. I really thought he was gonna be something.
I like Kimi Raikkonen and have since his days with McLaren and also because he does (or did) rally racing as well. I've always been partial to the Finnish drivers like him and Mika Hakkinen.

ChiSoxFan

FC Bayern Forever #1
Hoopla Cash
$ 400.07
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't have the best feeling going into today's UCL match against PSG.

MrFlyingV

Flying V God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every league goes through periods where one team dominates, even the EPL and old First Division. In the 80's it was Liverpool, in the 90's ManU (with Arsenal and Blackburn winning one each) The last 10 years in the EPL hasn't been much better with the big money clubs ManU, Man City, and Chelsea (with the one exception of Leicester) and looks like surprise, ManU, ManCity and Chelsea are the front runners again.

BTW, since 2000, Dortmund (multiple), Werder Bremen, Stuttgart, and Wolfsburg have all won the Bundesliga. That's five different League winners (including BM), same as the EPL.

I guess nobody should watch the Italian League either. How many for Juve? Forget the Spanish League too. Each Barca or Madrid every year. French League now too. Forgot that with PSG hogging all the talent. EPL or bust I guess.

MrFlyingV

Flying V God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't have the best feeling going into today's UCL match against PSG.

Neither do I. How many European matches has PSG won at home recently? 45 of 46 recently? Anderlecht game was not good. Played almost the entire game against 10 men. Even if you look at the last few Bundesliga games they got key goals and cheap penalty kicks by Lewey that I though neither should have occurred. Yeah the handball at Schalke but it hit his shin first.

MrFlyingV

Flying V God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But there has been more of a spreading out of those championships... Bayern has won 12 of the last 18 (Using your range since 2000, but its 13 of 19 if you go back another year.) EPL has Man U winning 7 of the last 18...

Just seems like Bayern is an embarrassment of riches, while you have Dortmund as the occasional thorn in their side... Bet if we looked at club spending/value it would bear that out?

In fact, yes... It does. Bayern dominates with Dortmund a fairly distant 2nd...

1.Bundesliga - Club market values

EPL has been way more balanced of late, though still admittedly top heavy.

Going to check the same for EPL...

Premier League - Club market values

And so yeah, you have 6 clubs that are at the top within a stones' throw, with Everton a fairly distant 7th (But about where Dortmund is in relation to Bayern?)...

I don't know. I guess the imbalance really bugs me with Football/Soccer, especially as a guy who likes to root for the underdog.... :D

Imbalance is fine when your team is the one benefiting lol. I am in the Bay Area and I am enjoying the Warriors greed after so many years watching the Lakers get all the talent and the Warriors being a complete disaster. The Lakers suffering is my joy now.

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Imbalance is fine when your team is the one benefiting lol. I am in the Bay Area and I am enjoying the Warriors greed after so many years watching the Lakers get all the talent and the Warriors being a complete disaster. The Lakers suffering is my joy now.

Yeah, gotta say I'm tickled that the Warriors are suddenly the class of the NBA. Really that the Cavs are too, except I can't stand LeBron, but whatever.

And like you, I didn't mind when the Bulls were dominant for most of the 90s either...

Nah, I get that... Thing with Football/Soccer is that there really isn't much of a mechanism to balance things out. If the injury you all refer to seems to be more than Bayern can bear? They'll just go out and buy a player at the transfer window and carry on it seems...

See it in La Liga it seems with it being a mostly two-horse race... Though Atletico is in there too it seems... Crazy that the same three teams have finished in the top 3 for five straight years....

I guess its just something I need to get used to...

At least in MLS nobody is good enough to dominate... LOL!!!

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess nobody should watch the Italian League either. How many for Juve? Forget the Spanish League too. Each Barca or Madrid every year. French League now too. Forgot that with PSG hogging all the talent. EPL or bust I guess.

Now, Now... I never said nobody should watch. I simply was saying that it doesn't seem all that dramatic if your primary concern is who finishes 1st.... :D

MrFlyingV

Flying V God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, gotta say I'm tickled that the Warriors are suddenly the class of the NBA. Really that the Cavs are too, except I can't stand LeBron, but whatever.

And like you, I didn't mind when the Bulls were dominant for most of the 90s either...

Nah, I get that... Thing with Football/Soccer is that there really isn't much of a mechanism to balance things out. If the injury you all refer to seems to be more than Bayern can bear? They'll just go out and buy a player at the transfer window and carry on it seems...

See it in La Liga it seems with it being a mostly two-horse race... Though Atletico is in there too it seems... Crazy that the same three teams have finished in the top 3 for five straight years....

At least in MLS nobody is good enough to dominate... LOL!!![/QUO

At least in MLS nobody is good enough to dominate... LOL!!!

Bayern needs a goalie but have to wait to Transfer window and by that time Neuer is back. I see they are rolling Starke out of mothballs. Didn't see today's game. Anyone have any insights to what happened?

MrFlyingV

Flying V God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now, Now... I never said nobody should watch. I simply was saying that it doesn't seem all that dramatic if your primary concern is who finishes 1st.... :D

I understand. For Bayern nothing is acceptable except winning the treble. I read they are pretty ruthless in the self examination when season's end. Many times they blame other factor (excuses), but last year they blamed themselves for "just" winning the Bundesliga. I wonder how management feels so far after the Wolfsburg mistakes and today's flat showing.

Anyone see the game? How was Ulreich? The defense? I saw some early stats where they dominated possession and had more shots....but were those false positives? Looks like every other game went to form except Chelsea's big win at Atletico.

ChiSoxFan

FC Bayern Forever #1
Hoopla Cash
$ 400.07
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand. For Bayern nothing is acceptable except winning the treble. I read they are pretty ruthless in the self examination when season's end. Many times they blame other factor (excuses), but last year they blamed themselves for "just" winning the Bundesliga. I wonder how management feels so far after the Wolfsburg mistakes and today's flat showing.

Anyone see the game? How was Ulreich? The defense? I saw some early stats where they dominated possession and had more shots....but were those false positives? Looks like every other game went to form except Chelsea's big win at Atletico.
Thank God I didn't see it. Based on Alves scoring in minute 2, I'd say Sven blew.

MrFlyingV

Flying V God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thank God I didn't see it. Based on Alves scoring in minute 2, I'd say Sven blew.

Just saw the highlights. Can't really blame Swen. A lot of defensive breakdowns. Especially the last goal by Neymar. I bunch of pylons playing d out there but hardly any real chances on offense from the highlights.

DefCONNOne

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't seen the highlights. How bad was it? I ask because I saw PSG scored the 1st goal 2 minutes in, so it can't have been good at all.

MrFlyingV

Flying V God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't seen the highlights. How bad was it? I ask because I saw PSG scored the 1st goal 2 minutes in, so it can't have been good at all.

Bad. Neymar dancing through a bunch of Bayern trees then makes a nice pass. Ulreich comes way out to try to block the shot up close but it goes past him for the 1st goal. A lot of defenders by the goal line do nothing to help. 2nd goal was high rocket from fairly far out. Similar to a shot Martinez had too, but alas PSG goalie deflects Martinez shot but Ulreich misses his. Maybe Neuer could have saved that. Last goal just a total lack of effort after a rebound in front of the goal Neymar beats the German defender and rockets it in point blank. Nothing Ulreich could do on that one. Highlights only showed the Martinez shot for Bayern. PSG had other golden chances including a point blank Neymar chance that he mishit.

MrFlyingV

Flying V God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Driving in to work this morning listening to The Football Show and they were talking about was Bayern for the whole drive. They had a guest from ESPN FC in Germany on and he said Bayern management is having crisis meetings today and that Ancelotti could get sacked today. Just what I heard on the show not my opinion. They were crushing Ancelotti for the lineup too with Hummels on the bench and the pairing of the inexperienced Sule and Martinez. Pretty much said James was underwhelming in domestic play and if Anceletti goes James may not have a place at Bayern already. Just what I heard today not what may happen.