• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016 DRAFT

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NFL stole the Patriots 1st round pick but they are not overlooking potential later roundgems.

The Patriots have yet to add a free-agent receiver, but they reportedly have plans to host a top wideout prospect on a visit.

Keyarris Garrett has plans to visit the Patriots, DraftInsider.net’s Tony Pauline reported Thursday. Garrett, who’s 6-foot-3 and 220 pounds, caught 96 passes for 1,588 yards with eight touchdowns last season at Tulsa. He had 219 catches for 3,209 yards with 22 touchdowns in his college career.

Garrett ran a 4.53-second 40-yard dash at the NFL Scouting Combine last month and also had a 7.30-second three-cone, 4.33-second short shuttle and 10-foot, 8-inch broad jump. He posted a 38-inch vertical leap at Tulsa’s pro day Thursday.

Garrett, who also plans to visit the Indianapolis Colts and Carolina Panthers, is projected to be a third- or fourth-round pick in the 2016 NFL Draft. The Patriots need a big wide receiver with the potential to play the “X” role in their offense.

CreepCreep2014

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ken you think he lasts till the 3rd, or does he have to be a 2nd RD pick? I agree they need a WR, but I think RB is more pressing at this point.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With BB, you never know if it's a smoke screen or a serious move. The Jets have always followed Belichick's moves and tried to grab players they think he's going after.....remember Gholston? Now that Rex is in Buffalo, watch him bring in a few players that visit the Patriots. At least two players that visit the Patriots will be playing on other AFC East teams.

If Garrett is available in the 3rd round, I believe that Belichick will make a trade to move up to get him.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Historically, Bill Belichick has never drafted players that the media or fans think he should draft. So trying to guess what he's going to do is truly a shot in the dark. With about six weeks to go before the draft, the free agent market went dead silent this weekend. There can be only a couple of honest reasons why.

The free agents this year are not top quality. Some teams tried to make a big splash by signing the "top" free agents, but the question is, "was the money well spent?" Are the guys who were signed on Wednesday and Thursday really game changers?

Teams didn't have the available money to play in the market. While the cap went up, a lot of teams made more of effort to sign their own players and not have to worry about having big holes.

The Patriots again stayed out of the free agent frenzy of day one and two. BB has done his due diligence and has invited players to Gillette to work them out, talk to them and find out how much they think they're worth. The Patriots made a couple of purchases signing Frank Kearse. He's a back up for the departure of Akeen Nicks who it appears will be signing with a perennial loser, the Detroit Lions. Defensive line isn't a weak spot for the Patriots but losing Hicks and Siliga could weaken it. Then they signed Hogan the wide receiver. Finally got a bigger, faster guy would can really do the job outside the numbers.

So what's next? I think a veteran running back could be the next signing. There are more than a few guys who are probably getting nervous now that free agency has reached round 2. There are 5 RBs that I think could fit in quite easily with the Patriots. Arian Foster 29, can be had but he may still think he's the same guy he was 3-4 years ago and if he does, he's not worth the money or the time. Reggie Bush 31. Reggie has turned the age corner and while he hasn't had many carries the past couple of years, that might make him worth a look. Donald Brown 28. I wanted the Pats to draft him five years ago from UCONN. The Colts got him and really never used him the way he was used in college. He played really well in San Diego last year and I think he could be an inexpensive quality back who wouldn't mind sharing carries with Dion Lewis. James Starks 30. He's been a grinder for the Packers always having to play behind a 'feature' back. He got dinged up, but could be a decent replacement for LaGarrett Blount. Last but certainly not least, Alfred Morris 27. Morris had some injuries but he has power and speed when healthy. He's just reaching his prime and I think he would be a reasonably priced guy who would be a star in New England..... Time to take my meds and get ready for bed.

SDGuy73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,159.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BK, Alfred Morris has never missed a game. Anyone know why he wasn't one of the top backs this off season?

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BK, Alfred Morris has never missed a game. Anyone know why he wasn't one of the top backs this off season?
The only negative I can find on the guy is fumbling but he had zero last year. I don't understand why he is not getting more interest. Wonder what kind of money he is asking for?
His high school coach thought he was "too nice"

ohiopatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just hearing that BB has DE Chris Long coming in today for a visit and workout. It seems strange with how deep the Pats already are at DE, unless the rumors about trading Chandler Jones are accurate. If Long still has something left in the tank, he would make a good player in a three man rotation at DE alongside Ninkovich and Sheard. If Long can give a year or two of solid performance, it would give valuable development time to Trey Flowers, Geneo Grissom or my favorite possibility, Dominique Easley.
As for running back, Starks would be a good possibility if the Packers don't re sign him.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just hearing that BB has DE Chris Long coming in today for a visit and workout. It seems strange with how deep the Pats already are at DE, unless the rumors about trading Chandler Jones are accurate. If Long still has something left in the tank, he would make a good player in a three man rotation at DE alongside Ninkovich and Sheard. If Long can give a year or two of solid performance, it would give valuable development time to Trey Flowers, Geneo Grissom or my favorite possibility, Dominique Easley.
As for running back, Starks would be a good possibility if the Packers don't re sign him.
This sounds more like BB doing his due diligence by having Long in and kicking the tires. I don't see anything happening unless BBs evalutaion is good. Then maybe later if the DE position ends up short due to injuries or like you mentioned Chandler is traded.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't have a lot of info on the guys listed below. They're all Left Tackles and all are free agents. I think I'd be more interested in Okung, Beachum, Chandler, Sowell, Ijalana and Hairston. All are young, have at least 4 years experience under their belts and none of them will be looking for more than $2M a year max.

I do know that Beatty was really good with the Giants and Jake Long was a top LT with Atlanta. I swear, I'd dump Cannon and Fleming and replace them with any two from this list.

William Beatty LT 31 NYG TBD -1- 0- 0- 0-
Russell Okung LT 28 SEA TBD -1- 0- 0- 0-
Donald Penn LT 32 OAK TBD -1- 0- 0- 0-
Khalif Barnes LT 33 OAK TBD -1- 0- 0- 0-
Kelvin Beachum LT 26 PIT TBD -1- 0- 0- 0-
Ryan Harris LT 31 DEN TBD -1- 0- 0- 0-
Jake Long LT 30 ATL TBD -1- 0- 0- 0-
Nate Chandler LT 26 CAR TBD -1- 0- 0- 0-
Bradley Sowell LT 26 ARI TBD -1- 0- 0- 0-
Benjamin Ijalana LT 26 NYJ TBD -1- 0- 0- 0-
Chris Hairston LT 26 SD TBD -1- 0

CreepCreep2014

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read that the DL coach in NE was the DL coach in Stl when Long was so dominate. I can see them signing Long and using Jones/Sher on the inside more. I remember Sher lining up over the C a lot and completely destroyed them. He has only played in 18 games over the past 2 seasons, so he might have more left than people think. If they sign him for 3 yrs, it makes me think that Jones is on the block. If anyone can get Long to be dominate again, it's BB. Think about it....3rd and long...Jones, Sher, Long, Easley/Nink...that could be tough.

OL is till up in the air for me. I think they do nothing, except get Cannon to take a pay cut. They might bring in a swing OT/OG, but for the money they are paying Solder/Volly, they are the starters. Mason and Jackson are the future and played well at the end of the season. Stork is the C, so I cannot see them spending big on OL. Prob hit the Draft for possible Solder/Volly replacements.

DT is so deep this yr, you can get a 2nd rd talent on the 3rd and 4th rds....so I expect them to do that.

As for WR/RB......who the fuck knows...at this point, nothing makes sense to me. I am all for one of Foster, Morris, Starks...WR I really only have interest in Bolden.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look at the 30 year olds average yards per rush for each game last year. Stick a fork in him!

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look at the 30 year olds average yards per rush for each game last year. Stick a fork in him!

Alfred Morris is 27. Pretty much from what I can tell he fits better in a ZBS than a PBS and when Washington made the switch from Shanahan to Gruden he struggled within the new offense some. Throw in coaches don't always give players from a past regime much of a chance as they want to bring in their own guys. I think in the right situation Morris could be a huge asset to a team.

SDGuy73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,159.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is going to be interesting. Five picks in the 6th round. What will BB do? Starting next year, comp picks can be traded. That will make the draft even more fun.

The New England Patriots have 11 selections in the 2016 NFL draft, which will be held April 28-30 in Chicago. Here’s a breakdown of the Patriots' selections:

Second round: 60th overall selection

Second round: 61st overall selection (from Arizona Cardinals)

Third round: 91st overall selection

Third round: 96th overall selection (compensatory)

Sixth round: 196th overall selection (from Houston Texans)

Sixth round: 204th overall selection (reacquired from Chicago Bears)

Sixth round: 208th overall selection (compensatory)

Sixth round: 214th overall selection (compensatory)

Sixth round: 221st overall selection (compensatory)

Seventh round: 243rd overall selection (from Houston)

Seventh round: 250th overall selection

The Patriots' first-round pick has been stripped by the NFL as part of Deflategate penalties. The fourth-round pick went to Chicago in the trade for tight end Martellus Bennett. The fifth-round pick went to Houston in the trade for receiver Keshawn Martin.

Compensatory picks can not be traded until 2017.

CreepCreep2014

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I expect NE to move up in just about every rd this yr. Have to capitalize now, they have no room for all these guys. Some of these teams are going to want these picks to rebuild. Going to be fun, after Day 1 of course...

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I expect NE to move up in just about every rd this yr. Have to capitalize now, they have no room for all these guys. Some of these teams are going to want these picks to rebuild. Going to be fun, after Day 1 of course...
Yep, or in typical BB fashion he'll move back and accumulate more picks next year. I hate watching the draft, waiting and waiting then BB trades the pick:gaah:

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I expect us to trade for picks next year.
If we can move up next year with some of these surplus picks, we could use them next year. All going to depend on who is available, (other than the "crazy" pick we can't explain)

CreepCreep2014

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can see that for next yr also. Would hate for them to give up the 2nd rd picks for next yr. I don't think BB will do that because he has no first, but you never know. Maybe BB likes the class next yr much better than this yr. I have not seen any OT linked to NE for work outs....

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every year the Draft Gurus fall in love with a select number of players. Then some kid has a lights out combine and rockets from 64th to 5th in the favorites division. If Belichick had the first pick in the draft, he'd pick someone no one had ever heard of and the kid would be an All Pro or he'd trade it for the 21st pick a second, third and fifth round pick and we'd all be throwing up our dinner.

Right now BB is sitting on #60 and #61. go into any published draft list and check out the names at 60 and 61.

Draftsite has this:

60 33.gif New England Shilique Calhoun DE Michigan State 6' 4" 255
61 33.gif New England t2.gif Deiondre' Hall CB Northern Iowa 6' 1" 190

USA Today has these guys:

60) New England: Nick Martin, C, Notre Dame
Current starting center Bryan Stork is just a guy. The older Tom Brady gets, the more New England must help provide a viable passing pocket, something it didn't do in the AFC Championship game.

61) New England (via Arizona): Alex Collins, RB, Arkansas
New England's running back situation is always tricky and 2016 looks like more of the same with Dion Lewis coming off injury, LeGarrette Blount in free agency and Donald Brown coming on board. The 217-pound Collins, who rushed for over 1,500 yards with 20 touchdowns last season, has the game for lead back duties.

ohiopatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of the selections listed above by BigKen, I like the USA Today set the best. I still think a trade with the Browns is a real possibility. A trade of Amendola and Stork (to replace Travis Benjamin and Alex Mack) for the Browns 4th round choice makes sense to me. Then BB can draft a center (I like Graham Glasgow who can play anywhere along the O line) and a RB (I like Jordan Howard) in the second round.