• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2015 Oscars Predictions And Game Thread.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BEST PICTURE

"American Sniper"

"Birdman"

"Boyhood"

"The Grand Budapest Hotel"

"The Imitation Game"

"Selma"

"The Theory of Everything"

"Whiplash"

BEST ACTOR

Steve Carrell, "Foxcatcher"

Bradley Cooper, "American Sniper"

Benedict Cumberbatch, "The Imitation Game"

Michael Keaton, "Birdman"

Eddie Redmayne, "The Theory of Everything"

BEST ACTRESS

Marion Cotillard, "Two Days, One Night"

Felicity Jones, "The Theory of Everything"

Julianne Moore, "Still Alice"

Rosamund Pike, "Gone Girl"

Reese Witherspoon, "Wild"

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR

Robert Duvall, "The Judge"

Edward Norton, "Birdman"

Ethan Hawke, "Boyhood"

Mark Ruffalo, "Foxcatcher"

J.K. Simmons, "Whiplash"

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS

Patricia Arquette, "Boyhood"

Laura Dern, "Wild"

Keira Knightley, "The Imitation Game"

Emma Stone, "Birdman"

Meryl Streep, "Into the Woods"

BEST DIRECTOR

Alejando G. Inarritu, "Birdman"

Richard Linklater, "Boyhood"

Bennett Miller, "Foxcatcher"

Wes Anderson, "The Grand Budapest Hotel"

Morton Tyldum, "The Imitation Game"

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have only seen Into the Woods and think Meryl Streep should win another Oscar for it. She acted well as always and sang for the role.

I have not seen any other movie on the list and have not read up on it - so I cannot adequately predict nor advocate anyone besides Streep to be an Oscar-hog (like a ball-hog).

I am rooting for Steve Carrell, just because it's rare for a comedian to receive an Oscar, but again, have not seen any other movie besides Into the Woods, not even the preview for Foxcatcher.

I am also rooting for Michael Keaton because it seems he has been out of the game for awhile in Oscars and other Awards.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't seen any of these movies. Will get to some of them.

BEST PICTURE

"American Sniper"

BEST ACTOR
Michael Keaton, "Birdman"

BEST ACTRESS

Julianne Moore, "Still Alice"

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR

Ethan Hawke, "Boyhood"

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS

Meryl Streep, "Into the Woods"

BEST DIRECTOR

Wes Anderson, "The Grand Budapest Hotel"

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have only seen Into the Woods and think Meryl Streep should win another Oscar for it. She acted well as always and sang for the role.

I have not seen any other movie on the list and have not read up on it - so I cannot adequately predict nor advocate anyone besides Streep to be an Oscar-hog (like a ball-hog).

Coincidentally, I just picked her for that movie too!

Did we used to have an expression for when we think alike?

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coincidentally, I just picked her for that movie too!

Did we used to have an expression for when we think alike?

I think robots think a like, except, I'm not a robot, you are. I'm not a computer either, but I think your mom or dad was?

BTW, I added this to my above post after you responded to mine.

I am rooting for Steve Carrell, just because it's rare for a comedian to receive an Oscar, but again, have not seen any other movie besides Into the Woods, not even the preview for Foxcatcher.

I am also rooting for Michael Keaton because it seems he has been out of the game for awhile in Oscars and other Awards.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I am rooting for Steve Carrell, just because it's rare for a comedian to receive an Oscar, but again, have not seen any of the movies, not even the preview for Foxcatcher.

I'm fine with your off the cuff predictions. It's just for fun.

Agree about Carrell.

Here was the list of comedies that won oscars, from another thread a few years ago.

++++++++++++

Best Picture:

Just looking through best picture winners I see Annie Hall, plus some stuff like Forest Gump, the Apartment, Gigi or Tom Jones that could be classified as comedies.

+++++++++++++++

Couldn't find many for best actor, Cable Gable in It Happened One Night or Tom Hanks for Forrest Gump, depending on how you classify those.

For best actress Cher for Moonstruck, Diane Keaton for Annie Hall, Barbara Streisand in Funny Girl, Julie Andrews in Mary Poppins, Audrey Hepburn in Roman Holiday, Claudet Colbert in It Happened One Night. Is Silver Linings Playbook a comedy? If so Jennifer Lawrence there.

Best Supporting Actor has more: Alan Arkin in Little Miss Sunshine, Chris Cooper in Adaptation, Cuba Gooding Jr. in Jerry Maguire, Martin Landau in Ed Wood, Jack Palance in City Slickers, Kevin Kline in a Fish Called Wanda, John Gielgud in Arthur and that is just going back to 1980.

Best Supporintg Actress has some: Diane Wiest in Bullets over Broadway, Marissa Tomei in My Cousin Vinny, Olympia Dukakis in Moonstruck, Jessica Lange in Tootsie and again that is only back to 1980 with a few other before that.

Apparently Best Actor is a super serious award, but the others aren't.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think robots think a like, except, I'm not a robot, you are. I'm not a computer either, but I think your mom or dad was?

You lying robot.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Who is a good NBA or MLB analogy to this, who was out (injured or for other reasons) for a while, came back, and played really well, maybe made the All-Star team or Finals MVP?

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I predict a whole lotta white guys win oscars tonite.

AND...

Because American Sniper doesn't win Best Picture OR Best Actor...Hollywood and their Academy will get "politicized and attacked" come Monday.

In my opinion...

BP..."Boyhood"

BA...Michael Keaton

BA...Reese Witherspoon

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm fine with your off the cuff predictions. It's just for fun.

Agree about Carrell.

Here was the list of comedies that won oscars, from another thread a few years ago.

++++++++++++

Best Picture:

Just looking through best picture winners I see Annie Hall, plus some stuff like Forest Gump, the Apartment, Gigi or Tom Jones that could be classified as comedies.

+++++++++++++++

Couldn't find many for best actor, Cable Gable in It Happened One Night or Tom Hanks for Forrest Gump, depending on how you classify those.

For best actress Cher for Moonstruck, Diane Keaton for Annie Hall, Barbara Streisand in Funny Girl, Julie Andrews in Mary Poppins, Audrey Hepburn in Roman Holiday, Claudet Colbert in It Happened One Night. Is Silver Linings Playbook a comedy? If so Jennifer Lawrence there.

Best Supporting Actor has more: Alan Arkin in Little Miss Sunshine, Chris Cooper in Adaptation, Cuba Gooding Jr. in Jerry Maguire, Martin Landau in Ed Wood, Jack Palance in City Slickers, Kevin Kline in a Fish Called Wanda, John Gielgud in Arthur and that is just going back to 1980.

Best Supporintg Actress has some: Diane Wiest in Bullets over Broadway, Marissa Tomei in My Cousin Vinny, Olympia Dukakis in Moonstruck, Jessica Lange in Tootsie and again that is only back to 1980 with a few other before that.

Apparently Best Actor is a super serious award, but the others aren't.

Sexist liberal/conservative Hollywood! They don't take the Best Actress seriously... or they hold a different requirement for best actor. I'd say harder standard, but comedy isn't necessarily easier.

I'm just waiting for someone to make the claim that both awards should be called Best Actor for a Female Role (or Male Role, conversely)... but what if they play a transgender, bigender, or incorrectly born as gender?

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who is a good NBA or MLB analogy to this, who was out (injured or for other reasons) for a while, came back, and played really well, maybe made the All-Star team or Finals MVP?

NFL has a Comeback Player of the Year. I biasedly wanted Alex Smith to get it because he got knocked out of a game by concussion when he was playing well for two years, never got his job back, was traded to a 2-14 team and went 11-4 the next season with that team (he was held out of the last game due to the Chiefs having nothing to play for). Philip Rivers won because he didn't throw as many interceptions as the few years before. Both teams made the playoffs and voting was before the results of any playoffs game. Rivers had bigger seasons before and worse seasons right before the award, but had no injury to be coming back from (though a concussion is a small enough injury in regards to injured time lost).

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

AND...

Because American Sniper doesn't win Best Picture OR Best Actor...Hollywood and their Academy will get "politicized and attacked" come Monday.

In my opinion...

BP..."Boyhood"

BA...Michael Keaton

BA...Reese Witherspoon

Thanks!

That was also Neil Patrick Harris' opening joke!

I'll comment more about the Oscars, later.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No one I rooted for won, but FWIW, I would have rooted for J.K. Simmons if I knew he was nominated (knew who he was but not his name, so I didn't recognize him on your list). Without knowing his name, I guess I rooted for the old guy (Robert Duvall) for old guy sake.

I guess I should see Birdman one day. I should watch all Best Picture(s) (or whatever they call the best movie). In order? Oldest to newest, I think. It'll allow me to catch up quickly at the end. If I do it the other way, I'll get back to the 20th century a little bit quickly and then stall...

My plan is to watch 4 Best Pictures a year. I'll catch up in 2043.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want to watch American Sniper; Birdman; The Theory Of Everything; Whiplash.

Maybe The Imitation Game; maybe Foxcatcher; maybe Into The Woods.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Best Picture: American Sniper
Best Actor: Bradley Cooper
Best Director: Clint Eastwood (even if he wasn't nominated).

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

AND...

American Sniper has been seen by 350 million people which is more than all the other movies combined. The Oscar Awards Show has been declining in viewership because of a disconnect between movie goers and the nerds that award the Oscars.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Best Picture: American Sniper
Best Actor: Bradley Cooper
Best Director: Clint Eastwood (even if he wasn't nominated).

Was he not nominated because of his Obama chair speech? Or was the movie not worthy in their minds? Or both?

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Has a movie ever won Best Picture without the director being nominated?

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was he not nominated because of his Obama chair speech? Or was the movie not worthy in their minds? Or both?
In my opinion it was politically motivated.