• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2015-16: The Baltimore Ravens Thread

How Far Will the Ravens Go in 2015-16?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baltimore had its best year offensively in team history last year and have added better TE talent Wr talent and RB depth while having one of the best offensive lines in the league return.

Better this year but ya not surprising why u feel differently.

So Baltimore's history has not been so good but you think you have an improved Ravens?
Good, Easy to cheer for. So you think you will b e the team to replce Denver on offense?

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Baltimore's history has not been so good but you think you have an improved Ravens?
Good, Easy to cheer for. So you think you will b e the team to replce Denver on offense?

My guess is the OL takes a hit for Baltimore leading to a more down year. Again this is what Kubiak and his staff are known for is improving OL play everywhere they go. They had Baltimore go from either 2nd to last or last in PFF grades for OL play to top-3 this past year. That doesn't happen very often. To say they are going to run the same system negates the fact that the coaching staff knows the ins and outs of what they were doing with 20 years of experience for the most part working together to perfect what they were doing. A new coaching staff will not know the little things that make the difference.

Also as I said there are a lot of new moving pieces on that offense this year compared to last with Torrey Smith gone and a rookie taking his place. Throw in then a rookie TE possibly starting when a Kubiak offense demands probably more than any other offense more out of what the TE's do. We shall see how this all plays out and maybe they do continue to improve on offense this year but they have way too many question marks for me to say they are going to be top-5 in this league like they were in many categories this past year. Essentially by Tgann saying they are going to improve he is saying they are going to be the top offense in the league. I mean if Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Roethlisberger, and Rodgers all go down with injury early on in the season I guess I could see it but I just don't see that happening.

Ravskins

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My guess is the OL takes a hit for Baltimore leading to a more down year. Again this is what Kubiak and his staff are known for is improving OL play everywhere they go. They had Baltimore go from either 2nd to last or last in PFF grades for OL play to top-3 this past year. That doesn't happen very often. To say they are going to run the same system negates the fact that the coaching staff knows the ins and outs of what they were doing with 20 years of experience for the most part working together to perfect what they were doing. A new coaching staff will not know the little things that make the difference.

Also as I said there are a lot of new moving pieces on that offense this year compared to last with Torrey Smith gone and a rookie taking his place. Throw in then a rookie TE possibly starting when a Kubiak offense demands probably more than any other offense more out of what the TE's do. We shall see how this all plays out and maybe they do continue to improve on offense this year but they have way too many question marks for me to say they are going to be top-5 in this league like they were in many categories this past year. Essentially by Tgann saying they are going to improve he is saying they are going to be the top offense in the league. I mean if Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Roethlisberger, and Rodgers all go down with injury early on in the season I guess I could see it but I just don't see that happening.

Well, I don't see the OL taking a hit...maybe a small step back but nothing more. 2013 was riddled with injuries and lack of talent at a couple of positions but they let Oher walk after 2013 and drafted Wagner which performed at a Top 5 level RT. Also, they benched Gino Gradkowski while trading for Jeremy Zuttah which stabilized the C position. Also, Yanda and KO also are top level guards in the league. Monroe and Zuttah are average but considering who they replaced it did wonders for the 2014 group as a whole. With everyone back this year, I seriously don't see them taking a "hit".

I do agree that there are moving pieces in the skill positions on offense but hopefully they can scheme properly this year to minimize the new parts and let them get into a groove without the additional pressure. I do believe that Pitta's comeback could be critical to this year's success with the offense.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I don't see the OL taking a hit...maybe a small step back but nothing more. 2013 was riddled with injuries and lack of talent at a couple of positions but they let Oher walk after 2013 and drafted Wagner which performed at a Top 5 level RT. Also, they benched Gino Gradkowski while trading for Jeremy Zuttah which stabilized the C position. Also, Yanda and KO also are top level guards in the league. Monroe and Zuttah are average but considering who they replaced it did wonders for the 2014 group as a whole. With everyone back this year, I seriously don't see them taking a "hit".

I do agree that there are moving pieces in the skill positions on offense but hopefully they can scheme properly this year to minimize the new parts and let them get into a groove without the additional pressure. I do believe that Pitta's comeback could be critical to this year's success with the offense.

You could be right. We shall see soon enough whether the OL improving dramatically had more to do with Kubiak being on board or the new pieces put into place. My guess is the truth lies somewhere in the middle of the two which again is why I see them taking a step back with one of those pieces missing. Honestly I just am surprised that Trestman agreed to stick with the same offense. Not sure I have ever seen that done. I have seen where a new coach will merge what they do with some of the old system but to stick with the playbook in full is very surprising. Coaches always seem to have what they like to do and try to get the pieces to work within their system not the other way around. Now maybe that works out well since most of the players know the system so the coaches just have to get up to speed and 2nd year in the system the players don't have to think as much but can just play or I could see it go in the way of the coaching staff just not knowing what to call that works against certain defensive set ups and really struggling to make the system work.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hey, Welcome to SportsHoopla - now get rid of that gay little oriole logo......

Tgann69

tOffficial Avi Welcher
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^so worried about others. How thoughtful.

cravnravn

Hoopla Cash
$ 850.00
I do not have 1 bit of concern with the Ravens offence, the db' s are my only concern, they are the only reason the Pats won the *super bowl last season.

Tgann69

tOffficial Avi Welcher
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That and being the better team......

you realize the Colts don't play in Baltimore anymore u must have missed the Ravens game where NE was playing catch up the whole game.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not a Ravens hater by any stretch, but here are 3 reasons why I'm having a hard time believing in them as more than a wildcard playoff round:

1. Flacco is inconsistent and gets into funks where he turns it over a lot, especially in the regular season. Granted he's stepped it up more than once in the playoffs, but it's hard to get over all those regular season picks.

2. Forsett has never been a mainstay RB in the NFL. He had a great 2014 and I like the guy (former Seahawk and underdog sort of player), but I'm doubtful he is as productive this season as last.

3. The D is getting old. At least a couple of the key players are. Maybe they have young guys ready to step up, but I don't know their roster well enough.

Right now in the AFC I'm hard pressed to put them over NE, Indy, and maybe Denver.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you realize the Colts don't play in Baltimore anymore u must have missed the Ravens game where NE was playing catch up the whole game.

I remember a game losing interception by the Flacco as the Ravens finished choking away the game.....

cravnravn

Hoopla Cash
$ 850.00
I'm not a Ravens hater by any stretch, but here are 3 reasons why I'm having a hard time believing in them as more than a wildcard playoff round:

1. Flacco is inconsistent and gets into funks where he turns it over a lot, especially in the regular season. Granted he's stepped it up more than once in the playoffs, but it's hard to get over all those regular season picks.

2. Forsett has never been a mainstay RB in the NFL. He had a great 2014 and I like the guy (former Seahawk and underdog sort of player), but I'm doubtful he is as productive this season as last.

3. The D is getting old. At least a couple of the key players are. Maybe they have young guys ready to step up, but I don't know their roster well enough.

Right now in the AFC I'm hard pressed to put them over NE, Indy, and maybe Denver.

Joe's worst year as a pro was 2013, the year after he was named super bowl mvp, as far as he being inconsistent, 7 of 8 years in the playoffs a slew of playoff wins, super bowl mvp, only qb ever to make playoffs in first 5 years in the league..if that's inconsistent, we glad he's ours

Tgann69

tOffficial Avi Welcher
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

To add to to Cravn' point the avg age of the Ravens D is 25.9 yrs. the toungst in the league is the Rams at 25.09 less then a year off.thr Ravens are young very young on D.

So the Ravens play a close one in NE in the playoffs after leading the whole game then NE Blows out the Colts yet the Ravens aren't in the conversation of Indy or Denver? I know ur an NFC guy but jut using the playoffs as a guide and draft which the Ravens maxed out and I can't figure out what ur thinking?

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Joe's worst year as a pro was 2013, the year after he was named super bowl mvp, as far as he being inconsistent, 7 of 8 years in the playoffs a slew of playoff wins, super bowl mvp, only qb ever to make playoffs in first 5 years in the league..if that's inconsistent, we glad he's ours
Look, I didnt say he sucks. And listing out years the team went to the playoffs doesnt mean your QB isnt inconsistent in the regular season. For the most part his passer rating has gone up and down year to year, with last year being a good one. I think he's a "good" QB, but he doesnt strike me as a guy who is getting better and better each year or even holding a really high level of performance. He's a bit up and down.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To add to to Cravn' point the avg age of the Ravens D is 25.9 yrs. the toungst in the league is the Rams at 25.09 less then a year off.thr Ravens are young very young on D.
Not talking about average age. Mentioned key players. Suggs is turning 33 during the season. Dumervil is also over 30. Canty is 32. Those guys will decline at some point soon. If it's not this year, you're probably fine. If it is, could be a problem if there aren't enough younger guys to step up.

So the Ravens play a close one in NE in the playoffs after leading the whole game then NE Blows out the Colts yet the Ravens aren't in the conversation of Indy or Denver? I know ur an NFC guy but jut using the playoffs as a guide and draft which the Ravens maxed out and I can't figure out what ur thinking?
I didnt say anything about not being in the conversation. I just said I couldnt rank the Ravens ahead of those teams. Also never said anything about just using the playoffs as a guide, so not sure where you got that. Just my overall impression of what the Ravens are bringing to the field this year compared to the other top teams in the AFC.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
th