• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 UDFAs

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Based on the overwhelming amount of proof you have offered we should immediately cut Greenwood and Couplin. They have both faced high school level competition and making the jump to the NFL is simply not possible.

Speaking of jumps, did you know that the best vertical posted at the combine this year was a full inch below that of Greenwood. It's too bad that he is so damn slow though. Two people were faster than him. It's even worse for Couplin. He couldn't even put up the best broad jump, instead all he could do is tie for first and then embarrassed himself with a vertical jump that tied him for second best.

It's too bad neither had nutritionists and strength and conditioning coaches to work with in college. They could have been taught how to run faster, jump higher, and be more explosive if they had.

Not sure what the Lions saw/see in either of them but at least we aren't the Colts. They offered a contract to a guy who has never even played football based solely on his athletic ability. What a bunch of dumbasses they must be

Yes we are like the Colts -- We offered a contract to a Rugby player, because he ran really fast.

Also -- nowhere did I say we should cut Greenwood and Coplin. In all honesty, I didn't have anything to say bad about Coplin, as he played against much better competition, had better coaching and plays a completely different position than Greenwood.

I said Greenwood would need more than the 3 year window that Mayhew talks about IF he is ever going to pick up the intricacies of the position. You can be as fast as you want, jump as high as you want and everything else. If you are unable to adjust to the level of talent and complexity of the game -- it isn't going to matter about those things.

If running fast and jumping high meant you were a lock to be a quality NFL player -- The Lions could have passed on Eric Ebron and drafted A.C. Leonard, who blew away Ebron's combine numbers. I don't think Leonard was even drafted this year.

So while you believe Greenwood will have the most impact for the CB's this year -- I am going with Slay.

There is a reason why top D-1 CB talent struggle in the NFL as rookies. The speed of the game and the quality of the players they are covering is vastly different. Imagine that jump from playing basically high school football in D-3 and how long it'd take a player to get used to that change, if at all.

Quackerjacked

Falcon
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The MIAA is a shitty conference in d3 too. I don't think they even get an automatic playoff bid for winning the conference.

Quackerjacked

Falcon
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Green is the surprise contributor. He looked good when he played, but seemed to be in the dog house. Also factor in that we will be playing a much different defense this year. Last year it was a crap ton of man coverage. So guys that were useless in the last scheme may end up being good in the new one.

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also -- nowhere did I say we should cut Greenwood and Coplin.
No you did not. I said it because there is no reason to carry them since they dont have any chance to be any good or contribute.

Coplin, as he played against much better competition, had better coaching
If MIAA is roughly HS the CAA is basically a good HS team.

So you honestly believe that Schwartz -- with his job on the line said, nope, I'm not going to play Greenwood? Schwartz and Cunningham got to see Greenwood first hand every day at practice -- I believe they put the players on the field, which they felt gave the team the best opportunity to win.
Yes, I do. He played the veterans across the board. Greenwood would have gotten virtually no reps in practice so I dont believe that Schwartz and Spaz had a clue what Greenwood could do. Nor did they coach him on the finite details you feel are so critical to his adjustment. It's my belief that if Austin does that we have a player in him.

So while you believe Greenwood will have the most impact for the CB's this year -- I am going with Slay.
No, I think he can have a bigger impact if he actually is given a shot. He has everything you cant teach, moreso even than Slay. I am almost hoping that Houston is out for the year so that he does in fact get that shot. I want to see both he and J. Green get a lot of reps and a really good look, which they have not yet had. If neither have it then fine, we roll with Mathis and obviously need to address the position next year.

If the Lions seriously want to take the next step they have to find someone (another Warford) out of the middle and later round guys who steps up and fills the need so we can concentrate on another area where a real need exists. Next year thats going to be OL and probably DT. Throw CB into that mix and its too much to get done in one offseason. Greenwood is my guy that I think has the best shot to do that on this team.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It sounds like our corners will still play primarily press-man in our new scheme, with some zone looks mixed in, depending on who/where/how many we're blitzing. Less off-man like we ran a lot of under Schwartz. Imo, off-man is the hardest to play for a CB: zone is easy, if you know your responsibilities well and have quick feet, press man isn't easy, per-se, but, imo it's easier than off-man because you get to slow the WRs release and then get an even jump with him at the start of the play, off-man is tough because the WR has a free release and you have to try to guess his route and stick tight to him without ever touching him...

And I agree with you 'bout Jonte. He's looked solid every time he's been out there. Maybe not a starter, but he's shown he belongs every time he's got the chance. Good draft pick, I'm excited to see what he can do with this new staff...

Last edited by a moderator:

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, I think he can have a bigger impact if he actually is given a shot. He has everything you cant teach, moreso even than Slay. I am almost hoping that Houston is out for the year so that he does in fact get that shot. I want to see both he and J. Green get a lot of reps and a really good look, which they have not yet had. If neither have it then fine, we roll with Mathis and obviously need to address the position next year.

I honestly think that's what the Lawson pick tells us. He's the same type of CB as Houston and Bentley, and I don't think we carry 3 nickel backs this year, so I think the brass knows Houston is headed for IR, or at least the PUP. He may well have played his last down for us.

I also agree about seeing what Green and Greenwood have this year. I think the Austin wants to give them the year to see what they got, and then they'll get at least through next camp to work on their errors before it comes time to either fish with them or cut-bait. This year will be all about Austin learning his new guys before we see some bigger changes next offseason, imo...

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No you did not. I said it because there is no reason to carry them since they dont have any chance to be any good or contribute.

And nowhere did I say that either.

Yes, I do. He played the veterans across the board. Greenwood would have gotten virtually no reps in practice so I dont believe that Schwartz and Spaz had a clue what Greenwood could do. Nor did they coach him on the finite details you feel are so critical to his adjustment. It's my belief that if Austin does that we have a player in him.

I didn't realize you had the inside scoop on practice reps and the type of coaching the younger players received over the last couple years.

He played the veterans across the board.

I don't understand this statement. If you look at our defense or our defensive draft picks over the past couple years. Rookies have started all time. DeAndre Levy started as a rookie. Louis Delmas started as a rookie. Suh started as a rookie. Bentley started as a rookie. Ziggy Ansah started as a rookie. Same can be said for the offensive side of the ball too. Heck, Warford and Waddle started last year on the OL as rookies.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And nowhere did I say that either.

I didn't realize you had the inside scoop on practice reps and the type of coaching the younger players received over the last couple years.

I don't understand this statement. If you look at our defense or our defensive draft picks over the past couple years. Rookies have started all time. DeAndre Levy started as a rookie. Louis Delmas started as a rookie. Suh started as a rookie. Bentley started as a rookie. Ziggy Ansah started as a rookie. Same can be said for the offensive side of the ball too. Heck, Warford and Waddle started last year on the OL as rookies.
Waddle is the perfect example of Schwartz not trusting rookies who weren't high draft picks. Clearly he was our best RT last year, the beat writers all raved about how good he looked in camp, yet it took injuries to the two tackles ahead of him before he saw the field.

Greenwood is in the same boat- he was apparently too "raw" to get any reps with us, but he gets scooped by Dallas, makes their active roster for a few weeks, and then comes back here and looks like a bonafide NFL player when he finally gets in a game. Either Schwartz was too proud to see what he had, or Dallas' coaching staff is miles ahead of what we had at the time...

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would like to see the new guys too. Slay needs to be out there. The other guys worked in. I am all for giving Austin a chance to develop them and see who will get it done. I want to see if Jontae Green recovers his pre injury form. He started out well. Bently and Lawson will battle for the slot most likely while Grren and Greenwood for a corner.

Dont be surprised if you see Mathis starting on opening day though.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't realize we had landed CB Seisay from Nebraska.

He's got good size with fair (4.5) speed and great athletic numbers at his pro day:
Mohammed Seisay*|*Nebraska,*CB*:*2014 NFL Draft Scout Player Profile

Good chance to make the practice squad.

Anyone have a list of of ended the season on our practice squad last year? I know Steven Miller and Corey Fuller were on there- two guys I'd love to see back on there if they don't make the roster...

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't realize that Lucas was the tallest offensive lineman measured at the combine and also had the longest arms of any offensive lineman measured.

That's a good combo. I've also read that he's quick and athletic for his size, and has a nasty mean streak, but needs to work on his knee-bend and his initial punch and counter jabs (hands in general need work, apparently)...

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hated the old crew. we will see what we have or not if new crew treats these 3 the same. The fact they only took a project corner at best, IMO says to me maybe they see there is a NFL CB in them 3.

Yes MikeD I know they changed plans when 8 or 9 guys went off the board. The above statement is still holds water with being 10th CB or 18th CB off the board. Still did not pick one til 4th rd. While passing multiple times on upgrading 2 other positions and a starter for next year.

Dr. Evil-er

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For a guy who says he played at the next level it must have been one very interesting program if the guys buried on the depth chart were actually getting reps cause that was barely happening in my HS program. I dont need the inside scoop to know that he was getting little to no reps, thats basic common knowledge that everyone knows. If that is a point you truly plan to argue then its no wonder some guys go after you so hard when you insist on arguing a point you couldnt find one other guy to so much as even acknowledge as a possibility.

Every single member of this board who has read this discussion is fully aware I am talking about the games at the end of the year when we were eliminated from playoff contention. The idiot coach said as much regarding the younger guys. The media ask him if he planned to play them and he said he said they would play to win football games and not evaluate younger guys. He said thats what training camp is for.

Thats the sign of a true idiot of a coach. Not wanting to see what those younger guys might offer on the field when the game itself doesnt matter and when they have had the season to hopefully watch and learn is beyond stupid. We shouldnt be wondering what they might have at this point, we should already know if we didnt have a god awful coaching staff.

I want to know on both Greenwood and Green. But if there is another slower and less athletic guy coming out of the bitchen powerhouse CAA then we need to snap him up quick before the other teams do.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He's got good size with fair (4.5) speed and great athletic numbers at his pro day:

Anyone have a list of of ended the season on our practice squad last year? I know Steven Miller and Corey Fuller were on there- two guys I'd love to see back on there if they don't make the roster...

Carlin Isles was on the PS at the tail end of the season. (Track kid turned Rubgy guy turned NFL cannon fodder.). Not sure if he's still in the picture for anything going forward. Or even what position it was that he was intended to play.

Dr. Evil-er

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Practice squad my ass. This is a player from the Big 10 conference. He had people who gave him vitamins, fruits, vegtables, and other organically superior food to eat then other college players had. He had a 20,000 sq. foot athletic facility and special massage therapists from Guadeloupe who rubbed his hammies with special oils made from poppy seeds and the poison extracted venom of the African tree frog. He's a step short of RoboCop.

He's been coached by a staff of MENSA members and practiced against holographic versions of the worlds greatest athletes. They should start making his hall of fame bust right now.

I couldnt help myself on dropping that in here. :clap: I'm finished with this conversation. If all the small school but athletically gifted guys prove to suck then so be it. As long as they actually get a true evaluation by a coaching staff with some brains I'll be happy.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2013 7th rd draft pick Fla A+M ILB Brandon Hepburn was on the PS squad last year

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Practice squad my ass. This is a player from the Big 10 conference. He had people who gave him vitamins, fruits, vegtables, and other organically superior food to eat then other college players had. He had a 20,000 sq. foot athletic facility and special massage therapists from Guadeloupe who rubbed his hammies with special oils made from poppy seeds and the poison extracted venom of the African tree frog. He's a step short of RoboCop.

He's been coached by a staff of MENSA members and practiced against holographic versions of the worlds greatest athletes. They should start making his hall of fame bust right now.

I couldnt help myself on dropping that in here. :clap: I'm finished with this conversation. If all the small school but athletically gifted guys prove to suck then so be it. As long as they actually get a true evaluation by a coaching staff with some brains I'll be happy.

Not good, them poppy seeds could make you fail a test. Mass quantities of course. This is why he most likely fell to UDFA.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Go to bottom of page. Wiki so never know. Usually pretty acurate for these details. I thought Saddler-mcqueen played last year a couple games. There is a limit to games played to still be PS eligible.
2013 Detroit Lions season - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For a guy who says he played at the next level it must have been one very interesting program if the guys buried on the depth chart were actually getting reps cause that was barely happening in my HS program. I dont need the inside scoop to know that he was getting little to no reps, thats basic common knowledge that everyone knows. If that is a point you truly plan to argue then its no wonder some guys go after you so hard when you insist on arguing a point you couldnt find one other guy to so much as even acknowledge as a possibility.

So on your HS team, when you are broken down into groups and working with your individual coaches on things like foot work, technique, ball skills, etc. and put through all kind of drills -- Only the starters went through these drills? What exactly did they have the backups do all week on your team? Get dressed and stand on the sidelines for a couple hours a day, while the starters did everything? Practices consist of a heck a lot more than the 1st string offense and defense scrimmaging each other -- at least they did where I grew up, maybe it was different for you.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every single member of this board who has read this discussion is fully aware I am talking about the games at the end of the year when we were eliminated from playoff contention. The idiot coach said as much regarding the younger guys. The media ask him if he planned to play them and he said he said they would play to win football games and not evaluate younger guys. He said thats what training camp is for.

Thats the sign of a true idiot of a coach. Not wanting to see what those younger guys might offer on the field when the game itself doesnt matter and when they have had the season to hopefully watch and learn is beyond stupid. We shouldnt be wondering what they might have at this point, we should already know if we didnt have a god awful coaching staff.

I didn't realize that is what you were talking about. I thought you just meant in general, he refused to play young players. I apologize about that. I agree with you about the end of the year. I wanted the Lions to empty the bench to make sure we got the best draft pick possible and give the coaches a chance to see what some guys could do.

I want to know on both Greenwood and Green. But if there is another slower and less athletic guy coming out of the bitchen powerhouse CAA then we need to snap him up quick before the other teams do.

The MIAA makes the CAA actually look like a powerhouse conference. I agree with you there.

With as fast and athletic as Greenwood is -- Why is it Dallas shipped him back to Detroit, when the secondary is one of their biggest issues right now? Well -- basically everything on defense is an issue for them right now.