• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Mock Draft Discussion Thread

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seattle has a bigger problem with small shifty guys I think.

Welker didn't fare well vs Seattle TBH...

its really about physicality and seperationg vs the Seattle corners... got to punch back if/when they punch you...

AZ didn't have shifty WRs and were able to beat the secondary... think? :scratch:

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the guy I want is gone, I may look to drop a few spots back from the 6th spot.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clowney to Houston?!

Did I miss the memo that they're switching to a 4-3 this year? Clowney would be seriously miss-cast in a 3-4. He's a prototype 4-3 DE...

Very few NFL defenses these days are what you would call a 4-3 or 3-4. They all are hybrid systems these days so players have to know how to play multiple roles. Now with Clowney he has the size that he can play with his hand in the dirt and could even play some 3-4 DE for the Texans when needed. He also though has the speed to play from the OLB spot and get to the quarterback.

Throw in most defenses these days spend around 60% of their time in a nickel or dime formation with 4 players on the LOS so he would still get plenty of playing time no matter where they put him on the field. Now yes he would have to learn how to play OLB and drop into coverage but he wouldn't be the first guy to be asked to do that.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watkins is a lot bigger than Austin, much more physical and a better overall WR, imo.

absolutely right that Watkins is the better overall WR... but from my GM POV, i wouldn't want to be redundent at WR... I feel what Austin brings is similar to what Watkins can bring however its on STL OC to make an offense to take advantage of it...

if it were a NO or GB type offense, then yeah, no complaints. I think STL is still without an identity... Had Evans been available, again if Stl wanted WR, I thought he could bring that rough/big body dimension to the offense. It would complement the speed Austin brings...

now with two speed threats, lets see how the offense exploits it

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very few NFL defenses these days are what you would call a 4-3 or 3-4. They all are hybrid systems these days so players have to know how to play multiple roles. Now with Clowney he has the size that he can play with his hand in the dirt and could even play some 3-4 DE for the Texans when needed. He also though has the speed to play from the OLB spot and get to the quarterback.

Throw in most defenses these days spend around 60% of their time in a nickel or dime formation with 4 players on the LOS so he would still get plenty of playing time no matter where they put him on the field. Now yes he would have to learn how to play OLB and drop into coverage but he wouldn't be the first guy to be asked to do that.

I just don't think a team would risk drafting a guy @ #1 overall and immediately changing his natural position- too big of a risk. Houston desperately needs a QB, and this is a QB rich draft...

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
absolutely right that Watkins is the better overall WR... but from my GM POV, i wouldn't want to be redundent at WR... I feel what Austin brings is similar to what Watkins can bring however its on STL OC to make an offense to take advantage of it...

if it were a NO or GB type offense, then yeah, no complaints. I think STL is still without an identity... Had Evans been available, again if Stl wanted WR, I thought he could bring that rough/big body dimension to the offense. It would complement the speed Austin brings...

I think the beauty with those two, though, is that they are both true burners who can hurt you deep in a split-second, but they're also both quick and shifty enough to beat teams underneath and rack up a ton of YAC.

The Rams gotta know what they have in Bradford, and Watkins would really round out the receiving corps for them. They have decent TEs, and good options at the #2 thru #4 WR spots, so getting a legit #1 WR talent may be just what the doctor ordered.

In reality I see the Rams trading down. They're the one team at the top that doesn't need a QB or DE, so they could move down a few spots and still get they guy they're after...

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the idea of Watt n Clowney is scary as hell however like some are pointing out, not sure if Clowney is best served at OLB in th 34....

seems like you 43 DE that destroys OL to me....

CLowney is really a cant pass prospect IMO however the luck/irony of perhaps one of the very very few teams to "afford" to pass would be Houston.... QB was there need...

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't think a team would risk drafting a guy @ #1 overall and immediately changing his natural position- too big of a risk. Houston desperately needs a QB, and this is a QB rich draft...

Well and this is where to me it gets interesting for Houston in the real draft. Say there is none of these top quarterbacks that really separates themselves from the pack yet here is Clowney who just blew away the interviews and combine plus has enough tape to show his skill set. With many of the top teams getting these very physical aggressive defenses these days Clowney seems like a perfect fit to have fushing next to Watt. This gives both of them some major advantages plus Houston has a pretty darn good defense beyond what those two can bring. So Houston could form one of the better defenses of the next 5 years with the pick of Clowney.

Then let's say they have one of the other quarterbacks than the top 3 that impresses them enough as I do think Derek Carr, Tahj Boyd, and a couple of others could really impress teams this year giving Houston the chance in the 2nd or 3rd round to still get a top quarterback in this draft and also taking who many are saying is the top overall prospect in this draft.

Yes he will be changing position some. He might not be playing with his hand in the dirt as much but he has the speed and size to play pretty much anyway from 3-4 DE clear to 3-4 OLB and still excel.

Nosferatu

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I havent seen Arizona Sting on in a while

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree with you Cal. IMO the Rams need to go with a OT at 2 or move out of the pick. I do agree that value wise Watkins in the 2nd best prospect and that will be a hell of duo to defend those 2. But if your QB is looking out his ear hole and or you can't keep him healthy those two electric WRs won't matter much.

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I sent HD a message about becoming a Mod for the game, see what he says.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing Houston could do, if they don't feel theres a QB warranting the top overall selection. Make a trade out of 1 within the top 5-7, get an extra 2 or 3... draft Barr or Mack who would fill that OLB need (if) or OT or WR or get that QB...while gaining another pick

Nosferatu

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sent Arizona Sting a PM that he was OTC...

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Sting doesn't show up, just draft Manziel in that spot. I am 95% sure that is who they would draft.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Houston is trying to get Mallett. With that I felt Clowney is the best potential in this draft.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Houston is trying to get Mallett. With that I felt Clowney is the best potential in this draft.

Are you speaking as in real life they are trying to get Mallett or you are thinking when doing this mock that is what you would want the team to do?

MrMoJoRisin63

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you speaking as in real life they are trying to get Mallett or you are thinking when doing this mock that is what you would want the team to do?

There are rumors they are interested O'Brien was on staff with the Pats when he was drafted and was impressed with him. Not sure that amounts to a hill of beans but there is potential for something to happen.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are rumors they are interested O'Brien was on staff with the Pats when he was drafted and was impressed with him. Not sure that amounts to a hill of beans but there is potential for something to happen.

Yeah I figured the connection would bring about the rumors just wondering how actual based in reality they are. You know how things are in the media of this being a slow time in football so they just make certain connections and say "well rumor is this is in the works." When in reality it isn't. I don't blame them for looking into it just wonder what they are willing to give up to actually make it happen.