• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Cap Outlook

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
31MM is the projection, which I still do not see as accurate. However even if this is the case there is still nothting to fear for the 2014 season. Things have changed this season as far as players that I thought would be here and players that I thought would not be here. For instance I thought for sure that Free would be cut 2014 to save 3.5MM on next years cap figure, however I do not see this happening I do now however see us doing one of two things with Free, giving him an extension of 3-4 years on a new contract or drafting his replacement for the 2015 season. If we extend him out look for a decrease in his 2014 cap figure. At 30 years old in 2014 and IF Free keeps playing the way he has look for a 3-4 year extension or at least this would be my thought.

Well you say what about the 31MM that we are projected to be over, number one by my numbers and spotrac's numbers this is not the projection even with the dead money on next year's cap; but for this topic we will say 31MM over, even though 2014's cap number has not come out yet and should increase by at least 3-4MM. What should happen to get us under and how much we will save on the 2014 cap roughly:

Restructures:

Romo
Ware
Witten
Carr (guy is a shut down in man coverage and has proven so last several weeks)
Scandrick (like it or not this guy may be the best slot corner in the NFL over the last two season, don't believe me look at PFF rankings of him)
Lee

This should be about 28-30MM est. by just looking at the basic numbers as of now.

Cuts:

Mac B
Orton
Parnell
Costa
Arkin

This will save about 5-6MM, if the team believes Holloman is ready to start next season you can cut Durant which will save another 1MM, however I do not believe that they cut Durant as he has been solid this season and should be worth his 1.45MM cap figure in 2014 which will give Holloman another year to learn how to play.

This gets us basically even with the cap or about 4-5MM in space actually. Add in the 2MM that we have in free space as of now that gives us abobut 6-7MM in space for 2014 roughly; and then suggest a conservative jump in 2014 cap to 2MM more than the 2013 cap which would give us roughly 8-9MM in space Pre June 1st.

The Miles Austin situation.

There are four ways you could go about this:

1.) You could cut him outright Pre June 1st which would give us about 9-10MM in total cap space for 2014, rather than the 8-9MM I just mentioned.

2.) You could cut him Post June 1st to gain about 5.5MM on the 2014 cap after June 1st (which would be used to sign your rookies) but you carry over 5MM in deap money on 2015's cap which I believe is a major NO NO for us, we need to have NO dead money going into 2015 as we have to sign Dez, TSmith, and Carter at the very least.

3.) We could ask him to do the same as we asked Free to do, which in my opinion would be the best option for both parties as Miles will not see anything near what we could re-work him into here in Dallas. At 30 years old with a major injury history he might be able to sign a 1 year deal for little to nothing with another team on the open market. What we could do is restructure the way we did Free's contract to cut the final year of his contract which has a 12.6MM cap figure in 2016. To have his contract end in 2016 with no dead money left on the books by 2017. Looking at Miles contract as of now you see this:

2014 cap hit 8.25MM base 5.5MM guaranteed money of 2.75MM
2015 cap hit 9.64MM base 6.89MM guaranteed money of 2.75MM
2016 cap hit 12.56MM base 11.38MM guaranteed money of 1.18MM

What should the contract should look like if he does a restructure as Free did:

2014 cap hit 5.35MM base 2MM guaranteed money of 5.35MM
2015 cap hit 5.35MM base 2MM guaranteed money of 5.35MM

*You have to add in the guaranteed money to the two remaining years as that money has already been paid out and now must be on the books one way or the other, so the guaranteed money for both years without the base included would be 3.35MM which is the 2.75MM of guaranteed money from the original contract from years 14' and 15', as well as the 1.18MM in guaranteed money from year 16' divided between the 14' and 15' seasons to add another 600k roughly to 14' and 15' guaranteed money.

This would not cost the team any dead money in the future, and would save the team:

3MM in 2014
4.3MM in 2015
12.5MM in 2016

This would also allow Miles to stay on the team and not have to move during a time where he probably would not see much on the open market, as well as you are giving the player the ability to say look we will guarantee the full amount of your contract at 5.35MM for 2014 and 2015 which means he has stability for the next two season; and with his injury history and age trust that means a lot to him.

If the move does not work out for us due to injury or what not, come 2015 with the new figures you could cut him to still save a projected 4.3MM over the original projected 2015 cap figure in 2015 with no dead money on the books. This would be the ideal and probably most logical choice for all parties.

By doing this you can add 3MM to the 2014 cap space with no dead money carry over in 2015 as well as having a player like Miles on your team, which if healthy for 2014 would be a major bargain at 5.35MM.

4.) You could do nothing with him and cut him 2015.

I believe that options 1 and 4 are the least likely, I believe that option 2 would hurt us in 2015 and would rather take the full hit by doing option 1; but I believe option 3 is the best and most logical choice for all parties, and believe that this will be the option they go with, which would give us a projected 11-12MM in cap space for 2014 if the over 31MM projection is accurate. This Miles situation is going to be key here as it will not only impact us for 2014 but 2015 possibly as well. I pray that of the options we have with Miles that we go with option 3, but both parties have to agree to do so.

Once again I will look at this as the season probably ends around Super Bowl time or around early March; but as of now I believe this affords us the ability to sign draft picks, and add the players in FA that we need such as possibly resign Hatcher (if the money and years are right).

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we restructured Orton ( LOL had to remind you :P)

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
31MM is the projection, which I still do not see as accurate. However even if this is the case there is still nothting to fear for the 2014 season. Things have changed this season as far as players that I thought would be here and players that I thought would not be here. For instance I thought for sure that Free would be cut 2014 to save 3.5MM on next years cap figure, however I do not see this happening I do now however see us doing one of two things with Free, giving him an extension of 3-4 years on a new contract or drafting his replacement for the 2015 season. If we extend him out look for a decrease in his 2014 cap figure. At 30 years old in 2014 and IF Free keeps playing the way he has look for a 3-4 year extension or at least this would be my thought.

Well you say what about the 31MM that we are projected to be over, number one by my numbers and spotrac's numbers this is not the projection even with the dead money on next year's cap; but for this topic we will say 31MM over, even though 2014's cap number has not come out yet and should increase by at least 3-4MM. What should happen to get us under and how much we will save on the 2014 cap roughly:

Restructures:

Romo
Ware
Witten
Carr (guy is a shut down in man coverage and has proven so last several weeks)
Scandrick (like it or not this guy may be the best slot corner in the NFL over the last two season, don't believe me look at PFF rankings of him)
Lee

This should be about 28-30MM est. by just looking at the basic numbers as of now.

Cuts:

Mac B
Orton
Parnell
Costa
Arkin

This will save about 5-6MM, if the team believes Holloman is ready to start next season you can cut Durant which will save another 1MM, however I do not believe that they cut Durant as he has been solid this season and should be worth his 1.45MM cap figure in 2014 which will give Holloman another year to learn how to play.

This gets us basically even with the cap or about 4-5MM in space actually. Add in the 2MM that we have in free space as of now that gives us abobut 6-7MM in space for 2014 roughly; and then suggest a conservative jump in 2014 cap to 2MM more than the 2013 cap which would give us roughly 8-9MM in space Pre June 1st.

The Miles Austin situation.

There are four ways you could go about this:

1.) You could cut him outright Pre June 1st which would give us about 9-10MM in total cap space for 2014, rather than the 8-9MM I just mentioned.

2.) You could cut him Post June 1st to gain about 5.5MM on the 2014 cap after June 1st (which would be used to sign your rookies) but you carry over 5MM in deap money on 2015's cap which I believe is a major NO NO for us, we need to have NO dead money going into 2015 as we have to sign Dez, TSmith, and Carter at the very least.

3.) We could ask him to do the same as we asked Free to do, which in my opinion would be the best option for both parties as Miles will not see anything near what we could re-work him into here in Dallas. At 30 years old with a major injury history he might be able to sign a 1 year deal for little to nothing with another team on the open market. What we could do is restructure the way we did Free's contract to cut the final year of his contract which has a 12.6MM cap figure in 2016. To have his contract end in 2016 with no dead money left on the books by 2017. Looking at Miles contract as of now you see this:

2014 cap hit 8.25MM base 5.5MM guaranteed money of 2.75MM
2015 cap hit 9.64MM base 6.89MM guaranteed money of 2.75MM
2016 cap hit 12.56MM base 11.38MM guaranteed money of 1.18MM

What should the contract should look like if he does a restructure as Free did:

2014 cap hit 5.35MM base 2MM guaranteed money of 5.35MM
2015 cap hit 5.35MM base 2MM guaranteed money of 5.35MM

*You have to add in the guaranteed money to the two remaining years as that money has already been paid out and now must be on the books one way or the other, so the guaranteed money for both years without the base included would be 3.35MM which is the 2.75MM of guaranteed money from the original contract from years 14' and 15', as well as the 1.18MM in guaranteed money from year 16' divided between the 14' and 15' seasons to add another 600k roughly to 14' and 15' guaranteed money.

This would not cost the team any dead money in the future, and would save the team:

3MM in 2014
4.3MM in 2015
12.5MM in 2016

This would also allow Miles to stay on the team and not have to move during a time where he probably would not see much on the open market, as well as you are giving the player the ability to say look we will guarantee the full amount of your contract at 5.35MM for 2014 and 2015 which means he has stability for the next two season; and with his injury history and age trust that means a lot to him.

If the move does not work out for us due to injury or what not, come 2015 with the new figures you could cut him to still save a projected 4.3MM over the original projected 2015 cap figure in 2015 with no dead money on the books. This would be the ideal and probably most logical choice for all parties.

By doing this you can add 3MM to the 2014 cap space with no dead money carry over in 2015 as well as having a player like Miles on your team, which if healthy for 2014 would be a major bargain at 5.35MM.

4.) You could do nothing with him and cut him 2015.

I believe that options 1 and 4 are the least likely, I believe that option 2 would hurt us in 2015 and would rather take the full hit by doing option 1; but I believe option 3 is the best and most logical choice for all parties, and believe that this will be the option they go with, which would give us a projected 11-12MM in cap space for 2014 if the over 31MM projection is accurate. This Miles situation is going to be key here as it will not only impact us for 2014 but 2015 possibly as well. I pray that of the options we have with Miles that we go with option 3, but both parties have to agree to do so.

Once again I will look at this as the season probably ends around Super Bowl time or around early March; but as of now I believe this affords us the ability to sign draft picks, and add the players in FA that we need such as possibly resign Hatcher (if the money and years are right).

LOL I actually sit in class the other day and kinda played Madden Guru ..... ( yes I was bored)

I ended up 8 million to the good ..... not over

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No I know we did, those are still the correct numbers to my knowledge looked at them this morning.

Im good with your numbers bruh .... LOL Like I said I played Madden Guru ... cut this one cut that one (shit that wont ever happen) LOL

One thing I could never work out though ......

see no way we walk into next season with Austin or Hatcher ......

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Austin is not guaranteed any future money. The figures you have quoted are cap hits due to his restructuring his salaries into bonuses in 2011 & 2013. He'll have a cap hit of $2,748,400 next year regardless of whether he is with the Cowboys or not. He has a further cap hit total of $5,105,200 which is due to be accounted for over the following 3 years. Removing him from the Cowboys roster before next June would bring that further cap hit forward into 2014. Obviously that isn't going to happen. His non-guaranteed salary next year is $5.5M and that's the focus. If he's not worth it and won't renegotiate he'll be cut or traded after the June cap date. In that scenario he'd count as the $2.7M figure in 2014 and $5.1M in 2015. More likely is that he's kept with his $5.5M salary or he agrees a reduced figure. In either of those scenarios it'll likely be agreed that he reduce his salary to the league veteran minimum with the rest as a roster bonus which would be spread over several years for cap purposes. This would help the Cowboys in the short-term.

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously you stay informed on the Cowboys cap space but this is the 2nd time you've done this and Ill tell you why I disagree. Most players dont like to redo their contract. Romo just signed a new one and not only are you asking him to redo his contract, you've listed about 5 other guys. Its rare to redo a contract and I dont think a team has ever had 5 or 6 guys redo their contract in the off season like your expecting them to. Next, you list about 6 guys you're going to cut and erase there cap figures but dont include the replacement players costs. YOu cant dump 7 guys off your team to knock down the salary cap numbers and expect to have a 45 man roster next year. All 7 of those guys you are cutting have to be replaced with salaried players.

I think what you are trying to get around is the fact that Jerry dishes out too many big dollar contracts which is really the big issue. Not to mention you have star players going into their final contract year. 31 million over and expecting several players to redo their contract, several players being hypothetically cut and asking Dez, Carter and your RB to risk their financial futures by playing out a final year with no insurance. I dont think Dez will be to happy being 1 year away from a 80 million dollar pay day with no protection. I highly doubt he plays out his rookie contract without saying a word.

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Austin is not guaranteed any future money. The figures you have quoted are cap hits due to his restructuring his salaries into bonuses in 2011 & 2013. He'll have a cap hit of $2,748,400 next year regardless of whether he is with the Cowboys or not. He has a further cap hit total of $5,105,200 which is due to be accounted for over the following 3 years. Removing him from the Cowboys roster before next June would bring that further cap hit forward into 2014. Obviously that isn't going to happen. His non-guaranteed salary next year is $5.5M and that's the focus. If he's not worth it and won't renegotiate he'll be cut or traded after the June cap date. In that scenario he'd count as the $2.7M figure in 2014 and $5.1M in 2015. More likely is that he's kept with his $5.5M salary or he agrees a reduced figure. In either of those scenarios it'll likely be agreed that he reduce his salary to the league veteran minimum with the rest as a roster bonus which would be spread over several years for cap purposes. This would help the Cowboys in the short-term.

Why would he reduce his pay to the league minimum when he can get almost 8 million guaranteed if he doesnt accept. I dont see Miles saying, "Hmmmm, if you cut me I get to stay home and collect 8 million bucks OR I can stay on the team for the league minimum and play". I think he'd rather collect the 8 million and not play.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would he reduce his pay to the league minimum when he can get almost 8 million guaranteed if he doesnt accept. I dont see Miles saying, "Hmmmm, if you cut me I get to stay home and collect 8 million bucks OR I can stay on the team for the league minimum and play". I think he'd rather collect the 8 million and not play.
He wouldn't be. You're cutting my sentence in half. Admittedly I typed roster bonus instead of signing bonus. If he agreed to a salary of $3.2M, (just as an example), his contract would likely be drawn up at $840K, (which is the league minimum for an 8 year veteran), with a signing bonus of $2,360,000. He'd still be paid $3.2M for that year but for cap purposes he'd count as $840K + a quarter of the $2,360,000 bonus as he has 4 years left on his contract + the cap hit from previous bonuses that he's already received, ($2,748,400).

If both he and the Cowboys were happy with his $5.5M salary in 2014 it could be changed to a salary of $840K with a signing bonus of $4.66M. He'd still receive $5.5M but it would move 3 quarters of the bonus figure into future years for cap purposes. This is what he agreed to do in 2011 & 2013.

I doubt that the Cowboys will keep him at $5.5M, but it's speculation. They might think he's worth more. Personally I think that if they were to release him in September 2014, after pre-season, there wouldn't be a huge market for him and he wouldn't get a $5.5M offer. Just to make things clear he isn't guaranteed any money in 2014. The Cowboys have the option to keep him at $5.5M. (He isn't due an additional $2.7M bonus). If he were to be cut and no-one signed him he'd receive nothing.

Pencil Sharpener

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trade Austin now for Byrd (Buf) instead of just cutting him. He no longer seems to be in the offensive plans.

Ekspozed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously you stay informed on the Cowboys cap space but this is the 2nd time you've done this and Ill tell you why I disagree. Most players dont like to redo their contract. Romo just signed a new one and not only are you asking him to redo his contract, you've listed about 5 other guys. Its rare to redo a contract and I dont think a team has ever had 5 or 6 guys redo their contract in the off season like your expecting them to. Next, you list about 6 guys you're going to cut and erase there cap figures but dont include the replacement players costs. YOu cant dump 7 guys off your team to knock down the salary cap numbers and expect to have a 45 man roster next year. All 7 of those guys you are cutting have to be replaced with salaried players.

I think what you are trying to get around is the fact that Jerry dishes out too many big dollar contracts which is really the big issue. Not to mention you have star players going into their final contract year. 31 million over and expecting several players to redo their contract, several players being hypothetically cut and asking Dez, Carter and your RB to risk their financial futures by playing out a final year with no insurance. I dont think Dez will be to happy being 1 year away from a 80 million dollar pay day with no protection. I highly doubt he plays out his rookie contract without saying a word.

To be fair, the players he named to cut aren't really big factors on the team and you know, the draft is a great way to get players for cheaper while adding talent/needs.

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trade Austin now for Byrd (Buf) instead of just cutting him. He no longer seems to be in the offensive plans.

What team in the world would trade a pro bowl safety for injured receiver?

:L