• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2013 NBA Playoffs Thread

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tim Duncan got 9 points and 11 rebounds on a 3-13 night in a blowout loss. This ensures that if the Spurs win the Finals, Duncan will be NBA Finals MVP, because just look at those eyes! Those fundamentals! Heck, I don't care if Parker leads them or if the Heat win, let's just give it to Duncan!

;)

Well, there's no avoiding it now. Duncan got 12 points and 14 rebounds. He's got to have the MVP wrapped up by now. His team around him is not a factor and never has been in his career. He's simply the best power forward ever, despite the numbers because his coach and team, I mean, he wins. Done it all by himself. Again, just look at his face! Doesn't that just scream best ever?

Seriously though, none of the regulars had the MVP game this game or last. It was a blowout both times and the big starters, eh. STATISTICALLY SPEAKING. I know there's more than just stats.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, if anyone not familiar with my references: I am not making my opinion based upon how Duncan looks or insinuating that that is the reason for his praise. My comments stem from a long thread I had earlier with Nuraman on how Duncan does help the Spurs a lot, but even when he doesn't produce numbers, people fill in the gaps to make him seem like he's the reason for everything. 20 and 11 does not beat 25 and 10. But apparently it does to many. That 20 and 11 will go down the next few years. So will his blocks and defense.

If Duncan plays the next 281 games the same way he's played the last 281 games (four seasons - hasn't played a full 82), he will then average 19.4 points and 10.9 rebounds in 1461 games. Malone averaged 25 points and 10.1 rebounds in 1476 games - one season in which he was the third scorer due to Shaq and Kobe. 51.6% to 50.7% shooting, Malone advantage.

His blocks? Well, that's a center thing, not a power forward thing. I won't argue his greatness center-wise. If people just called him a center, I would have no qualms over anything. But if you are claimed to be used as a PF and produce less, then I will say you are not as great. Duncan's has had more help. Put Malone on those teams and I think he'd have a few rings, even without Stockton.

All my opinion of course.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's what robots such as MHSL82 were thinking about, ---err, I mean calculating, during the Finals.

++++++++++++++++

Michael (aurora, co)

Didnt see this in a chat: what were the chances of spurs losing game 6 when they were up 4 with ginobili at line and 37 seconds left. 10%?

Kevin Pelton
(2:23 PM)

Much lower than that. According to Betting Market Analytics' in-game analysis, their chances peaked then at 98.6% of winning the game and the championship.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to you, do "layers of a team" consist of team defense?

What are the layers, according to you?

I know this is blasphemy but I don't care about individual defense, in general. If Stockton weren't leading in steals, I'd care even less. I focus more on the team in total, but I don't mean team defense (like weak/strong side help), just accumulation of all layers on a team.

And where do you rank "stopping the other team" in terms of priority?

It's number one, I'm just not interested in it, especially the individual player's stats or play (save Stockton's steals). I'm not that sophisticated, especially on defense.

Justin (Portland, OR)

If there was one component you could add to WARP to fix a weakness, what would it be?

Kevin Pelton
(4:42 PM)

Some measure of one-on-one defense.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Justin (Portland, OR)

If there was one component you could add to WARP to fix a weakness, what would it be?

Kevin Pelton
(4:42 PM)

Some measure of one-on-one defense.

Touche. Umm, actually, still don't care. ;)

Thanks for posting though, I do learn some things, every once in a few years.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wasn't trying to change your opinion. I just posted it in this thread because we had the most discussion of "individual defense" in it.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wasn't trying to change your opinion. I just posted it in this thread because we had the most discussion of "individual defense" in it.

Ha. This isn't an opinion thing; you're probably right. I just don't pay much attention to it.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Being really young at that point, I felt challenged. I mean, I wasn't personally challenged, as I couldn't do anything to help the Jazz win besides ice the floor or put glass over the Sonics rim or move the team to Oklahoma City or food-poison Jordan (Kemp, too) or crash their plane or kidnap all their children and Stern with the ransom being a Sonic loss to the Jazz or tie their shoelaces all together so they'd have to forfeit the game by not getting to the court on time (or play in their slippery socks - no borrowing or buying new shoes!) or Kerrigan them or inject undetectable steroids into the Jazz players secretly (even unknown to them) or ask strangers on a train about their mom's child-raising experiences that prompts enlightenment of said person's mom's breast-milking habits during conception periods or removing the opponents basket altogether or removing the opponent's coach George Karl style (I actually like him as a coach and wish no one sickness, so just a joke) or breaking the scoreboard or hypnotizing the scorekeepers to award the Jazz more points or bribing the Tim Donaghy's or paying all the reporters to report that the Jazz won to the point everyone, including David Stern and the Sonics, believed we did. Other than that, there was nothing I could do. I'm only human... yes, I am not a robot!

Why would you kidnap Stern? He was a Jazz fan.

I knew Stern was a Jazz fan. I watched the NBA TV special on Stern, and Stern said he was fortunate to come into the league at the same time "as a kid from Gonzaga".

I already deleted it, but might still be able to recover it and provide the exact time into the program that he said that.

Last edited by a moderator: