• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2012 Draft Thread

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Sharks draft picks for this years draft.

1st Round (17th overall) - (C) Tomas Hertl
2nd Round (55th overall) - (C) Chris Tierney
4th Round (109th overall) - (RW) Christophe Lalancette
5th Round (138th overall) - (C) Daniel O'Reagan
6th Round (168th overall) - (D) Clifford Watson
7th Round (198th overall) - (D) Joakim Ryan

ISS prospect rankings as of May

Sharks Trades
7th 191st overall and a 2013 4th (SJ) to (Chi) for a 4th 109th overall.

Other Trades
Visnovsky (Ana) to (NYI) for a 2013 2nd
Robiero (Dal) to (Was) for Eakin and a 2012 2nd
Staal (Pit) to (Car) for Sutter, Dumoulen, and the 8th overall pick
14th overall (Cal) to (Buf) for 21st and 42nd overall
Z. Michalek (Pit) to (Phx) for Ruopp, Cheverie, and a 3rd

Last edited by a moderator:

abaskin18

Oilman
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A good number of Dmen projected in the late teens/early twenties from the mocks I've seen.

Anyone (at any position) seem like a good/realistic pick at 17 to you, Cmon?

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
A good number of Dmen projected in the late teens/early twenties from the mocks I've seen.

Anyone (at any position) seem like a good/realistic pick at 17 to you, Cmon?

If I'm Doug Wilson I'm focusing on forwards for the first two rounds. This is where the system is most severely lacking.

Players who might be available at the 17th spot in order of preferance: Sebastian Collberg, Brendan Gaunce, Pontus Aberg, Nicolas Kerdiles.

Teuvo Teravainen is the forward I'd really like to see them get but they would have to trade up got get him.

abaskin18

Oilman
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I'm Doug Wilson I'm focusing on forwards for the first two rounds. This is where the system is most severely lacking.

Players who might be available at the 17th spot in order of preferance: Sebastian Collberg, Brendan Gaunce, Pontus Aberg, Nicolas Kerdiles.

Teuvo Teravainen is the forward I'd really like to see them get but they would have to trade up got get him.

I read somewhere that he is Mighty-Mite-ish...in a good way.

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I'd like to see some dynamic forwards selected with the early picks too. I do not want to see a power forward selected with the 1st rounder. Let's get some speed and skill into the prospect pool. I would even consider trading down to get more picks if the right guy isn't there at #17.

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These kids were born when I graduated high school...geez.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I read somewhere that he is Mighty-Mite-ish...in a good way.

The way he plays can be described in that fasion. He has incredibly quick hands and feet and has them going 110% all the time. He has great first step speed as well as high end top speed combined with outstanding agility. His stickhandling and puck control skills are also very high.

Size wise he's of average height at 5'11 but needs to add some muscle. I'd like to see him get to about 180 - 185lbs (Currently he's about 160lbs). Any more than that and it may have a negitive effect on his speed.

abaskin18

Oilman
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The way he plays can be described in that fasion. He has incredibly quick hands and feet and has them going 110% all the time. He has great first step speed as well as high end top speed combined with outstanding agility. His stickhandling and puck control skills are also very high.

Size wise he's of average height at 5'11 but needs to add some muscle. I'd like to see him get to about 180 - 185lbs (Currently he's about 160lbs). Any more than that and it may have a negitive effect on his speed.

Sign me up.

Not that I'm a fan of rushing prospects into the N, but is there anyone you see as realistic at #17 who would be able to contribute right away, even if the ceiling isn't as high? PLEASE NOTE: I do not endorse this drafting/development philosophy but understand it as a potential reality for a team with a closing window.

Also, anyone who has the ability to turn into an alligator? :croc:

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Sign me up.

Not that I'm a fan of rushing prospects into the N, but is there anyone you see as realistic at #17 who would be able to contribute right away, even if the ceiling isn't as high? PLEASE NOTE: I do not endorse this drafting/development philosophy but understand it as a potential reality for a team with a closing window.

Also, anyone who has the ability to turn into an alligator? :croc:

I don't think there is anyone who could contribute at the NHL level right away at the 17 spot unless Grigorenko falls that low. Collberg is realistically the closest to NHL ready at that spot but IMO he'd still need another year in the SEL plus some experience in NA at the AHL level.

MrChangoT97

Dr. Pepper is the bomb
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I say we send the 17th pick to Columbus in a deal to get Nash, then sign Suter. That would make me happy on Draft Day.

Likewall32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Ill be the debbie downer. SJ will just trade the pick in a pack for something stupid, or draft someone good and then trade him for something stupid. And DWil will follow it up with "We had an opportunity to pick up ----- ------, and those opportunitys just dont pop up every day so we had to jump on it"

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sharks Picks in the MOCK DRAFTS

THN - Pontus Aberg

TSN - Mikhail Grigorenko

Bleacherreport - Olli Maata

Sportscity - Slater Koekkoek

I dunno who Olli Maata is but if he is anything like Terro Maata (past Sharks draft pick) stay the F away. Also, I do not agree with any mock (sportscity) that has the Sharks selecting a D man. Sharks need some forwards in the system.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Too good to be true, no?

Cherepanov fell to 17 in 2007 and he was just as highly touted as Grigs. Both guys claimed to be committed to playing in the NHL. With the KHL putting Grigorenko on their cap exempt contract list many teams may be even more wary. The teams also have to take into account the heightened possibility of loosing him to the KHL because of a work stoppage this summer.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I dunno who Olli Maata is but if he is anything like Terro Maata (past Sharks draft pick) stay the F away. Also, I do not agree with any mock (sportscity) that has the Sharks selecting a D man. Sharks need some forwards in the system.

Wilson will pick who they believe to be the best available player weather it be a forward or dman.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't think there is anyone who could contribute at the NHL level right away at the 17 spot unless Grigorenko falls that low. Collberg is realistically the closest to NHL ready at that spot but IMO he'd still need another year in the SEL plus some experience in NA at the AHL level.

I have strong doubts that Grigorenko falls that far, button mentioned s power forward from the Plymouth whalers can't remember his name but that would probably be best he seems like a Milan Lucic type player ahhhhh Wilson is his last name

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I have strong doubts that Grigorenko falls that far, button mentioned s power forward from the Plymouth whalers can't remember his name but that would probably be best he seems like a Milan Lucic type player ahhhhh Wilson is his last name

I hope they don't go with Wilson. IF they are going to go with a PF type then Guance or Matteau should be there guy.

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope they don't go with Wilson. IF they are going to go with a PF type then Guance or Matteau should be there guy.

Wow, Stephane Matteau (former Shark) named his son Stefan Matteau. I should have done something like that.

MrChangoT97

Dr. Pepper is the bomb
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So does Doug keep his 1st round pick or trade it away?