• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

20 loss team makes NCAA Tournament

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LIBERTY IS IN!!!!!!

They had 20 losses!!!!

LMAO!!!

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really think more conferences should award their NCAA bid to the regular season champs the way the IVY League does. The regular season is meaningless for a ton of D1 schools. I guess the good part is that when you have a conference tournament to look forward to your season isn't really over until then. I'd almost rather see crap conferences get two teams in (reg. season and tournament winner) than see teams get in who are 0-5 against top 25 teams or teams who have 7 bad losses etc. It would shrink the bubble a little but really it would just fewer teams who finish 7th and 8th in their conference get in.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. It's sorta like Colorado last year from the PAc-12. Terrible season, yet wins the tournament and gets in.

However, on the flip side, that year UCONN won it was because of their run in the BIG East tourney. had they not won that tourney they wouldn't have even made the NCAA Tournament.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. It's sorta like Colorado last year from the PAc-12. Terrible season, yet wins the tournament and gets in.

However, on the flip side, that year UCONN won it was because of their run in the BIG East tourney. had they not won that tourney they wouldn't have even made the NCAA Tournament.

Yeah, steph curry missed out on the NCAA tournament his last year at Davidson. They were 26-1 against unranked teams with Curry playing (0-1 without him) and won they conference regular season. But none of it mattered when the lost in the conference championship.

This year, middle Tennessee state won their conference by five games they finished 28-4 (19-1) and they still aren't guaranteed a tourney spot.

olympicoscar

Life is what you've made of it.
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,999.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the small conferences, getting to the NCAA tourney always comes down to winning the tournament. I don't have a problem with Liberty, they won their way into the tournament on the court. I just feel bad for the reg season conf champ that might have played one bad game.

A better solution is to allow the champions of all leagues to get the automatic bid, and then in the conference tournament, anyone that wins the tournament with a record like Liberty, or just not good enough to make the Big Dance, to get an automatic bid to the NIT.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the small conferences, getting to the NCAA tourney always comes down to winning the tournament. I don't have a problem with Liberty, they won their way into the tournament on the court. I just feel bad for the reg season conf champ that might have played one bad game.

A better solution is to allow the champions of all leagues to get the automatic bid, and then in the conference tournament, anyone that wins the tournament with a record like Liberty, or just not good enough to make the Big Dance, to get an automatic bid to the NIT.

I like this idea too.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The regular season champ already gets a free pass to the NIT. The NCAA tournament should reward teams that can be somewhat competitive in a high stakes tourney format, so I see no problem with it.

Plus, if Liberty took down Seth Curry and Duke, it would be the greatest story in sports history.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The regular season champ already gets a free pass to the NIT. The NCAA tournament should reward teams that can be somewhat competitive in a high stakes tourney format, so I see no problem with it.

Plus, if Liberty took down Seth Curry and Duke, it would be the greatest story in sports history.

So, you're saying the regular season should be meaningless for these conferences? The NIT shouldn't be a reward for winning your regular reason. Why do teams like middle tenn need to win 3 tournament games when they've already gone 19-1 in conference. They deserve a tournament berth even if they lose a high stakes conference tournament.

Last edited by a moderator:

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
just wait until the last place Hokies win the ACC tourney :D

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, you're saying the regular season should be meaningless for these conferences? The NIT shouldn't be a reward for winning your regular reason. Why do teams like middle tenn need to win 3 tournament games when they've already gone 19-1 in conference. They deserve a tournament berth even if they lose a high stakes conference tournament.

Again, the tournament isn't a test of who would win a best of twenty series. It's all about being clutch in a tournament setting. If Middle Tennessee can't beat Florida International, I think the NIT is a fair destination for them.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, the tournament isn't a test of who would win a best of twenty series. It's all about being clutch in a tournament setting. If Middle Tennessee can't beat Florida International, I think the NIT is a fair destination for them.

We'll just have to agree to disagree because I think the regular season should be meaningful, and I don't think the nit is a "reward" for dominating the regular season. There are only 3 games of importance for small conference teams, if they even make it to the finals

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

shit, Lehigh did it last year, why couldnt Liberty? If Duke can't hit 3's on a given night, they are very mediocre

7NationalChampionships

SportsHoopla Top 10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the regular season is a good measuring stick for seeding teams in the Conference tourney, do well in season and you will bet a better seed which is an easier road through the tourney. I agree with you guys on both scenarios, but it's a classic "can't have your cake and eat it to" type deal, if you are in a small school/conference that is. If a team that didn't have a good season gets hot right at tourney time, I think they deserve a shot in the NCAA tourney.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Denver (21-9, 19-2) won by double digits home and away against Texas State (12-21, 5-13) this year. However, they lost the only relevant game they played this year.

herky

YEAH JEETS!!!!!!111
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Win and it doesn't matter. Or join a better conference and get tested more.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Win and it doesn't matter. Or join a better conference and get tested more.

They don't deserve to go to the tournament, thats not my point. My point is...for one-bid conferences, the regular season is meaningless. Why not, if youre gonna have a conference tournament, set the tournament up the way the WCC does? Or why not only let 6 teams into the tournament or something like that? I'm not a fan of teams having to play 30 games that don't matter.