• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

(2) St. Louis Blues vs. (7) San Jose Sharks - Round One Thread

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nicely done sharks.

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Halak was pretty average tonight.

Would be shocked if he starts game 2.

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Will Elliott be ready to go? I thought he was injured.

I thought I heard somewhere that there's nothing wrong with Elliott and they just made up the whole upper body injury thing so as to make them look like they didn't pick one over the other to teh outside world?

Not sure why they would do that, though...

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought I heard somewhere that there's nothing wrong with Elliott and they just made up the whole upper body injury thing so as to make them look like they didn't pick one over the other to teh outside world?

Not sure why they would do that, though...

I hadn't heard that. Yeah I dunno, maybe it's true teams do some screwy stuff in the playoffs.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Halak was pretty average tonight.

Would be shocked if he starts game 2.

I'm not going to pretend that I follow the western conference closely, but for the life of me, I can't understand why the Blues would ever sit Elliott (even though he has a minor injury, he was still supposedly the backup) in favor of Halak.

23-10-4 with 9 shutouts 1.56 GAA .940 sv %

He's statistically been the best goalie this season by a mile, he just hasn't gotten the starts of a Quick or a Lundqvist.

I'd start Elliott in every damn game that I could.

Last edited by a moderator:

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not going to pretend that I follow the western conference closely, but for the life of me, I can't understand why the Blues would ever sit Elliott (even though he has a minor injury, he was still supposedly the backup) in favor of Halak.

He's statistically been the best goalie this season by a mile, he just hasn't gotten the starts of a Quick or a Lundqvist.

I'd start him every damn game that I could.

Yeah, not sure.. unless he is in fact hurt after that practice he left the other day.

But also, both got 2 starts vs. SJ during the regular season and both had some insane numbers (and one shutout each, I think it was?)... so I can't blame Hitch for figuring he couldn't go wrong with either one. /shrug

Slimpikins

Well, fuck it
Hoopla Cash
$ 330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'd start Elliott in every damn game that I could.

I am perfectly fine with Elliot riding the pine.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just a numbers guy...lol While Halak has great numbers, Elliott has alien-like numbers. Whatever that means... :lol:

If I have two goalies and while they are both performing well, one is absolutely standing on his head almost every time out, he is going to get the nod whenever possible.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am perfectly fine with Elliot riding the pine.

I am sure you are. The guy has been an absolute stud this season. I had him in two fantasy leagues and know it well. 9 shutouts in 36 starts is insane...

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just a numbers guy...lol While Halak has great numbers, Elliott has alien-like numbers. Whatever that means... :lol:

If I have two goalies and while they are both performing well, one is absolutely standing on his head almost every time out, he is going to get the nod whenever possible.

I found what it means:

Last edited by a moderator:

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Someone on our board posted this little nugget:

Havlat - 2 goals in 1 playoff game
Heatley - 3 goals in 18 playoff games

Haven't checked official stats but sounds about right to me.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just wondering what else Elliott had to do to steal the starting spot from Halak...

He's done just about everything you could possibly ask for, yet all season long the only time Elliott would get all of the starts was when Halak was injured.

Vadered

Future Flyer Cup-Winner
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,135.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am sure you are. The guy has been an absolute stud this season. I had him in two fantasy leagues and know it well. 9 shutouts in 36 starts is insane...

To put this in perspective, numbers like this scaled to a single playoff series mean you cannot be swept. You are guaranteed a win by shutout and possibly two, not to mention any wins you get by scoring 2 goals to their one. Halak is a solid goalie, but his contract is so solid it's like a lead weight dragging down the Blues. Elliot should start every game he is able to drag himself into uniform for.

Ties5o11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well maybe Elliot is actually hurt. One poster postulated that the Blues might be avoiding controversy, but that claim was never substantiated.