• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2 Good Wins Over the Bucs!

Caligula

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Well, in the A's defense, Weeks blows and people haven't been impressed with Ynoa since TJ surgery.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i'd do it. choice looks like a good young outfielder. if we traded them soon, choice could start 5 days a week in cf for the next 6-8 weeks while revere is out. however, i don't think oakland would do this for two rentals

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PhFan382: On the single A Clearwater Threshers, there's
Kelly Dugan .310 10 HR
Aaron Altherr .282 9 HR
Cameron Perkins .325 4 HR

These guys are very young and likely not ready to play in the NL. Too bad MLB policy doesn't alow 2 week tryouts so a team could see if they can hit big league pitching.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PhFan382: On the single A Clearwater Threshers, there's
Kelly Dugan .310 10 HR
Aaron Altherr .282 9 HR
Cameron Perkins .325 4 HR

These guys are very young and likely not ready to play in the NL. Too bad MLB policy doesn't alow 2 week tryouts so a team could see if they can hit big league pitching.

yeah i looked up dugan's numbers before you posted that and saw that he is hitting .189 (alebit in 9 games) for the AA reading fightin' phils. although he hit decent in double-A, tyson gillies has struggled heavily with lehigh valley. in 123 plate appearances, he has a slash line of .202/.287/.294 with 2 home runs and 5 rbi's. so i don't know what the hell to do for the next 6-8 weeks

Caligula

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
i'd do it. choice looks like a good young outfielder. if we traded them soon, choice could start 5 days a week in cf for the next 6-8 weeks while revere is out. however, i don't think oakland would do this for two rentals
I would be fine with the trade. They get one good prospect, one risky prospect, a bench player (at most), and they move away from a lot of age.

If they don't trade Utley, they are going to resign him. And a 3 year $30-39 million contract isn't beneficial.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be fine with the trade. They get one good prospect, one risky prospect, a bench player (at most), and they move away from a lot of age.

If they don't trade Utley, they are going to resign him. And a 3 year $30-39 million contract isn't beneficial.

no way ruin tomorrow jr. signs him for 30-39 million lol. he may be stupid but he's not brain dead. if he did that i might take one for the team and drive to his house and put a hot one through his neck

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like plan Number one. I wish he'd get some plan, any plan because doing nothing is stupid and I may have to join on that visit.

unblowupable5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm OK with retaining Utley beyond this year, but only if the years/price is right. He seems to have the issues with his knees under better control this year than last, but it's not like we can count on him year-in and year-out from this point. I've heard Ruben say he wants Chase to finish his career as a Phillie, but really shouldn't be a priority. No matter what, he'll always be remembered as a Philly. That'll have to be good enough.

And we're stuck with Howard's contract till the end. No one else in their right mind would take that off our hands. As overpaid as he is, I don't see him as a total loss. When healthy he can still at least help you out (see last half of last year). He tends to get hot in the second half of the season and can put the team on his back. That said, at this point even I'd prefer they just put him on the shelf until next year as long as Ruf is productive. Figuring out how to juggle the 2 of them will be next year's problem.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm OK with retaining Utley beyond this year, but only if the years/price is right. He seems to have the issues with his knees under better control this year than last, but it's not like we can count on him year-in and year-out from this point. I've heard Ruben say he wants Chase to finish his career as a Phillie, but really shouldn't be a priority. No matter what, he'll always be remembered as a Philly. That'll have to be good enough.

And we're stuck with Howard's contract till the end. No one else in their right mind would take that off our hands. As overpaid as he is, I don't see him as a total loss. When healthy he can still at least help you out (see last half of last year). He tends to get hot in the second half of the season and can put the team on his back. That said, at this point even I'd prefer they just put him on the shelf until next year as long as Ruf is productive. Figuring out how to juggle the 2 of them will be next year's problem.

howard hit .219/.295/.423 last year, which is awful. yeah it's nice he drove in 56 runs, but when you have a .718 ops, it's hard to justify saying tat he helped you out

unblowupable5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True. But that was coming off an injury where he missed half the season. I guess my point is that even though his contract is a complete albatross at this point, I don't feel like he's a total stiff when healthy, which he really hasn't been the last 2 seasons. He's going to be around for at least the next 3 years, so may as well leave him on the shelf (as long as Ruf is productive), let him get healthy for next year, and then hope he can get back to some semblance of where he was before the injuries.

unblowupable5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As for his stats after coming back last year, you're right. Not sure why I had it in my head they were better...

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree unblowupabe and numer one. AS much as I wish we could remove the big bird from around the team's neck, unless some other team's GM just falls head over heels for Howard we are indeed stuck. Except for the size of their contracts, age is the factor that is going to ride on us just like some other sports clubs such as the Celts and Lakers.

Like the aforementioned clubs and because of these factors, the Phils are going to have to figure out how to blend young talent with these old overpaid guys. Some GM's and managers are pretty adept at it. Reuben, I am not so sure. So we may have to wait for another several years to really get out of this corner that we've painted ourselves into by not moving players earlier when their value was tradeable.

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's stupid to trade Paps because the Braves and the Nats, like the Phils, are playing .500 ball and we have 12 games remaining with the Braves and 9 with the Nats. It will be tough but we are not out of it. Amaro might pull a rabbit out of hit hat before the trading deadline that helps the pitching staff and maybe even the lineup.

Caligula

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
It's stupid to trade Paps because the Braves and the Nats, like the Phils, are playing .500 ball and we have 12 games remaining with the Braves and 9 with the Nats. It will be tough but we are not out of it. Amaro might pull a rabbit out of hit hat before the trading deadline that helps the pitching staff and maybe even the lineup.
No, keeping a $12+ million bullpen arm is stupid.

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WestCoast: Yes! Tough as it will be, I can't give up on a team in a division where the top 3 are horsing around with .500 ball. I hope at least one decent roster move can help the pitching and the lineup. I have Rolaids handy since I see Rollins in the top spot tonite.

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys need to rethink trading block. 49-48 looks much better. Run differential down to 40. This team is going places!

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ok everyone wants to trade paps, but who the fuck wants him?

WestCoastPhan

Northern California formerly from Bucks County
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
jvett, in my opinion they would do better this year if they make the right moves. asche and franco would do no worse than m.young and utley. plus we could get some bullpen help in return and we would be building towards our future. do you really want to go through another year of wondering if chase utley's knees will make it? these guys need to be traded now while they still have value.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
trade m young, hold on to utley, if you can get a good deal on paps sell him too