• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The following changes must happen before 2014

BPNAZ

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Amaro must be fired

the following players should not be on the roster for 2014

Michael Young, Jimmy Rollins, John Mayberry Jr, Jacob Diekman, Carlos Ruiz, John McDonald, Michael Martinez,

Players that should have jobs set on the big league club in 2014

1B - a platoon of Howard/Ruf is the most logical way to go, only because of Howard's contract
2B - Utley
3B - Asche
LF - D.Brown
CF - Revere

SP - Lee (unless hes traded in offseason but doubt it)
SP - Hamels
SP - Martin
SP - Kendrick

the starting pitching I really don't care about right now, because its actually pretty good, its the bullpen that once again needs a complete overhaul, but with someone not named Amaro in charge of fixing it

the everyday players is where they need superhelp. Gotta find hitters at 2 key spots....Catcher, and RF

Catcher you can probably eventually go with Joseph from the minors, but RF is where i'd really like them to spend the money and get a marquee player

SickFelonIsGOAT

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Joseph isn't coming up that soon. Concussion and hitting problems are gonna delay him at least a year. Kendrick needs to go, IMO. Rollins should go, but he won't be. Ruf will be playing RF. Ideally you would want Ruf at 1st with Howard traded, but that ain't happening. Truth is, most of this offense is set in stone for at least next year, and it sucks. Thanks to Rueben. I agree though, Rube needs to be the 1st to go.

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Casper Wells got a double tonite but I suppose, like McDonald, he's just a warm body to fill out the roster until September. He should go.

I'm not sure about Amaro because others in the front office are involved in the process of shaping the roster like consultants Ed Wade and Pat Gillick. Somehow I don't see Amaro going into CEO Montgomery's office and announcing, "Yo Dave, I just traded Ryan Howard", or "I just picked up Casper Wells."

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The lineup should look like this next year:

LF - D. Brown
CF - B. Revere
RF - D. Ruf (he needs to be an everyday player not a platoon)

3B - C. Ashe
SS - J. Rollins (he's not going anywhere unfortunately)
2B - C. Utley (also not going anywhere after his extension)
1B - R. Howard (also not going anywhere b/c of his contract, but perhaps we can platoon him with someone like JMJ or MYoung if we can resign him for cheap)
C - ? (Would like to see us go out and sign someone who can hit, Joseph won't be ready and I really don't want to see Chooch back unless he's on a 1 year contract at 4 mill or less)

SP - Lee (too late to trade him)
SP - Hamels
SP - Pettibone
SP - Halladay (if healthy and resigns for much less)
SP - ? Kendrick looks done, Martin is still green, Lannan is a trash, perhaps that Cuban guy they just signed?

Backups/RP - who cares, just about anyone would be an upgrade over what we have now

And I wouldn't mind if they got rid of Papelblown.

NDIrishGuy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know it is only 3 games in, but I'm listing Sandberg as something that needs to be changed before next year also. I get having to play Michael Martinez. When your GM only gives you one option as back-up SS and you want to rest your starting SS you have to go with what you have, that is on Ruben. When you bat a player who shouldn't be on a major league roster 1st in the lineup and feel that he is so bad that you need to pinch hit for him late in a close game, that is the sign of a bad manager. Why was Martinez batting anywhere other than 8th or 9th (and most of the pitchers can hit better than he can)?

Progeriakid

Hanging Pork
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard joseph might have to switch positions due to concussions and concussions like symptoms?

SickFelonIsGOAT

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard joseph might have to switch positions due to concussions and concussions like symptoms?

Yeah, I heard that too and unfortunately if that is true..... I don't think he is that valuable to us anymore. There really isn't any other spot where I think he would be good for, because 1st is probably the only other position he could play and he just doesn't have the pop a 1st basemen should have.

SickFelonIsGOAT

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The lineup should look like this next year:

LF - D. Brown
CF - B. Revere
RF - D. Ruf (he needs to be an everyday player not a platoon)

3B - C. Ashe
SS - J. Rollins (he's not going anywhere unfortunately)
2B - C. Utley (also not going anywhere after his extension)
1B - R. Howard (also not going anywhere b/c of his contract, but perhaps we can platoon him with someone like JMJ or MYoung if we can resign him for cheap)
C - ? (Would like to see us go out and sign someone who can hit, Joseph won't be ready and I really don't want to see Chooch back unless he's on a 1 year contract at 4 mill or less)

SP - Lee (too late to trade him)
SP - Hamels
SP - Pettibone
SP - Halladay (if healthy and resigns for much less)
SP - ? Kendrick looks done, Martin is still green, Lannan is a trash, perhaps that Cuban guy they just signed?

Backups/RP - who cares, just about anyone would be an upgrade over what we have now

And I wouldn't mind if they got rid of Papelblown.

Martin is still green but I rather have him than Kendrick...... Also, I agree about Halladay. I wouldn't mind having him back assuming it is on the cheap...... Closer to 10 million per. The Cuban guy supposedly didn't sign with us after all. I actually don't know what is going on with that, but they reportedly didn't finalize the contract and now there seems to be a problem getting it done. Rumor I heard was the Phillies are hesitant to give him that much because something was wrong with the Cuban pitcher. Injury or something, and now they don't want to commit that much to him.

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so what all of you are saying, there won't be any major deals between now and the start of next season. if true, then get ready for a season worse than this year.

Revere, Asche, Ruf, Brown, and Utley have to do the job. You have to believe that they will. But I think judging from what Sandberg has said, if Rollins doesn't go into a higher gear, he just might be part of a surprise deal by 2014. You know the story on Howard. If Ruiz hits, he'll stay. I don't see Sandberg as a guy to sit around and just watch. He'll likely ask the front office for changes when they're needed. That's how I see it.

Progeriakid

Hanging Pork
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rumor has it that the cuban guy is damaged goods, has some sort of arm issue or potential for arm issues due to his condition and the Phils are reluctant to pay a steep price for damaged goods.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rumor has it that the cuban guy is damaged goods, has some sort of arm issue or potential for arm issues due to his condition and the Phils are reluctant to pay a steep price for damaged goods.

That sucks cuz from I've read, he was supposed to be pretty good, but better to not sign him than have another albatross contract. Martin looked good tonight though, he keeps it up and he'll deserve that #4 or 5 spot.

Robbieb77

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How are people already sold on Asche

Robbieb77

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who is "sold"? Based on very good progression in the phillies system, he definitely deserves a chance to play to see what he can do. He's an aggressive kid that reminds many of utley when he was breaking in.
OP and others who already have him pegged as our starting 3B next year

Caligula

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
How are people already sold on Asche

No one is sold. But he needs to start next year to determine if he can be productive. Jerking around a prospect doesn't help development or evaluation.

The Phillies are not competing next year, either way.

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one is sold. But he needs to start next year to determine if he can be productive. Jerking around a prospect doesn't help development or evaluation.

The Phillies are not competing next year, either way.

I think they'll at least compete even with a few Ifs. Revere, .300 hitting sparkplug, will be leading off. I'm sure they won't start 2014 with the low octane, dead weight on the roster after sampling the September call-ups. Starting pitching should be fine (hopefully). A lot depends on the progress of Asche and Ruf and the BP fixes though.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Robbieb77 this post is for you. I see that you are new here on the Phillies pages. Welcome. I am one of the modulators (Mods) and I have some info for you that will assist and enhance your experience here on the SportsHoopla. Your specific mods is PC86. Please read the following and let me know that you have.

Once you get past the 25 post mark in posts, additional benefits are available to you and they will be found in the same "UserCP" menu bar at the top of this page on the left.

Here are a few rules that are non-negotiable and they are as follows.

We don't take kindly to trollin' (which I am sure you are not) and we don't like a-holes either (of which I am sure you are not). Nudity in avitars is unacceptable. You can put scantly clad ladies in your avi's but no nudes.

Any unnecessary and unwarranted baiting of other posters through viscous personal attacks that become a pattern of behavior that is not conducive to fair sports talk banter WILL NOT BE TOLERATED. We have a few cantankerous folks here but by and large they engage in passionate delivery of their points of view and do not engage in personal attacks that are viscous. We all like talking about the Phils as I'm sure you do as well.

You can argue all you want and you can can get aggressive with your point of view including swearing, but when that aggression turns toward personal attacks that are excessive and outside of the topic at hand and become a consistent pattern of behavior, you will first receive a warning and your posts maybe edited. After the first warning, if the behavior continues you will be removed from this site. We're are all adults here. I am not in the business of baby sitting anyone and I am sure you will add even more good banter to these Phils pages.

Also, this rule is SportsHoopla-wide, Alternative names and accounts or ALt's are not TOLERATED. First offense, banishment. Hammer Down doesn't tolerate this AT ALL and neither do I. If you have any questions or comments, you know where to find me.

Once again, Welcome to the Phillies pages and the best damn Sports talk site on the web bar none!!.