• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

1st Round Grade for 49ers

1st Rd Grade for 49ers?

• A

Votes: 3 5.2%
  • B

Votes: 24 41.4%
  • C

Votes: 14 24.1%
  • D

Votes: 8 13.8%
  • F

Votes: 9 15.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im still shocked we didn't move up when Dennard and Varrett fell. only would of cost us a 3rd. At least we didn't draft Lee or Benjamin.

This would have been a better move to me, I loved Dennard as a player and when he dropped I hoped they would move up but they didn't, maybe Nix or Tuitt will end up with the Niners instead.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Grade: incomplete

We don't know who falls to us tomorrow. My grade will be in the "B" - "A-" range depending on whether we're still about to get a good WR tomorrow and I want a big bodied CB.

WR options: Bryant, Robinson, Matthews, and Richardson
CB options: Desir, Breeland

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I voted a D just because they could have made that trade with Minnesota, and still most likely gotten ward. That is Balke though, he does not seem to care if its a little too early hes going to get the guy he covets.

Likely could have gotten him but you just don't know. They can still add plenty of talent in the 2nd round, I'm expecting them to move up at least once.

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not grading. Nobody knows how anything will Pan out.

In fact I hate draft grades just like I hate draft mocks.

Nobody knows a damn thing that will happen.

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Grade: incomplete

We don't know who falls to us tomorrow. My grade will be in the "B" - "A-" range depending on whether we're still about to get a good WR tomorrow and I want a big bodied CB.

WR options: Bryant, Robinson, Matthews, and Richardson
CB options: Desir, Breeland

Butttt, this is a grade for the 1st round...

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Experts" also said Deone Bucanon would go in the middle of the 2nd, he went in the 1st.
How do you guys know Ward would've been there for us in the 2nd, because the mock said it? Give me a break.
You target your guy and get him. If he's your guy whats the difference when you get him? They obviously feel that he's a diamond and didn't want to risk missing him.
His highlights are amazing. A 4.4 with a strees fracture in his foot?
Starting slot cb this season, as well as special teams ANIMAL. Mark it down.

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Experts" also said Deone Bucanon would go in the middle of the 2nd, he went in the 1st.
How do you guys know Ward would've been there for us in the 2nd, because the mock said it? Give me a break.
You target your guy and get him. If he's your guy whats the difference when you get him? They obviously feel that he's a diamond and didn't want to risk missing him.
His highlights are amazing. A 4.4 with a strees fracture in his foot?
Starting slot cb this season, as well as special teams ANIMAL. Mark it down.

There is a lot of speculation here. Time will tell if he was a good pick but it's obviously too early to call it, either way.

NinersFan80

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How can anyone give this pick a grade yet?? People are getting pissed that we drafted a safety when the fact is we will be using him as a nickel CB. Our front office/coaches believe he will be great at that position so I have to trust them.. I won't grade the pick until after he gets playing time at CB. He will have all off season to learn it. HE WILL NOT BE A SAFETY.. At least not this season unless there is an injury. So grade it based off him being a CB

AU_Fever

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's wait and see how he does his rookie year. It is obvious that the Niners see something in him. I have a feeling that the Niners will trade up tomorrow and get a WR, hopefully Matthews and Desir with the other 2nd round pick.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Im still shocked we didn't move up when Dennard and Varrett fell. only would of cost us a 3rd. At least we didn't draft Lee or Benjamin.

you have to have a willing trade partner.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I thought we picked Reid too high last year, and that there was a good chance he would have been there at 31 - or we could just have picked Cyprien. A year in, the Reid pick is looking very good. So I'll wait to see what we have in Ward.

Having said that, it's pretty clear that if all goes according to plan, Ward will be our slot corner. That's virtually a starter, so I don't understand all those folks gnashing their teeth about not adding a player who will contribute early. You can argue that slot corner was our single biggest need.

NinersFan80

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For those who love Dri Archer:

Matt Maiocco tweeted that "Ward had 1-on-1 coverage vs. Kent State speedster Dri Archer, ran with him and made interception."

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For those who love Dri Archer:

Matt Maiocco tweeted that "Ward had 1-on-1 coverage vs. Kent State speedster Dri Archer, ran with him and made interception."

Well that settles it! He's a Hall of Famer.
Im just playing, though I am hoping for Archer somewhere day 2.

I think I like Ward better than Joyner. Joyner is who I thought we would trade back for, to play nickel. A chance to play aggressive from the secondary. Cb's blitzing and laying wood on wr's, old school football.

NinersFan80

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well that settles it! He's a Hall of Famer.
Im just playing, though I am hoping for Archer somewhere day 2.

I think I like Ward better than Joyner. Joyner is who I thought we would trade back for, to play nickel. A chance to play aggressive from the secondary. Cb's blitzing and laying wood on wr's, old school football.

I know a lot of people liked Archer and wanted to get him for KR/PR.. Just shows that Ward is fast enough to keep up with the slot guys.

And I think that is exactly what they are thinking Ward will do

michaelwarner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought we picked Reid too high last year, and that there was a good chance he would have been there at 31 - or we could just have picked Cyprien. A year in, the Reid pick is looking very good. So I'll wait to see what we have in Ward.

Having said that, it's pretty clear that if all goes according to plan, Ward will be our slot corner. That's virtually a starter, so I don't understand all those folks gnashing their teeth about not adding a player who will contribute early. You can argue that slot corner was our single biggest need.

Totally agree. I, like a lot of people I'm sure, spent a lot of time thinking about who they'd draft to fill that need. He wasn't even of the radar to fill that spot. All the talk was on a CB to do that or maybe Joyner. Now, after reading everything about the pick and the plan it makes perfect sense and I really like the pick. I hope it pans out the way we need it to.

sjballer03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Great article by Matt Bowen written back in March. Pozz had mentioned to me before that Bowen is a good guy to follow for coverage (no pun-intended) on defensive backs.

NFL Draft: Is Northern Illinois Safety Jimmie Ward a First-Round Talent? | Bleacher Report

The key here is the versatility Ward brings to the stadium. He can play multiple positions in the secondary because of his skill set, closing speed and lateral movement/transition quickness. That sells from a scheme perspective at the pro level.

Given the versatility Ward brings to the position, plus the production he put on tape at NIU, there is a real possibility the safety jumps up into the first round this May during the opening night of the NFL draft.

my2cents

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
For now I give it a F. Future B.

Reason:
I feel we are 1-2 players away and we drafted a player that is a year or 2 away from playing. I wanted a guy that can help us now. We had a chance to land Dennard or Varrett and only give up a 3rd rd pick. We had the ammo to make a move. We drafted for the Future. We just signed a Safety and then we drafted one. Didn't make much sense. We also drafted a safety coming off an injury. Yes I understand there wasn't much to draft at 30 but main thing is we could of moved up.

Future: Its nice to have 2 young safety's for the further. This kid has talent. He has an upside. I think its safe to say no one thought we would draft him in the 1st. Maybe the 2nd but not the 1st. I do think we drafted talent here but I don't think he helps us this year. Outside shot that he helps us at the slot because of his 4.55 40 time.

Overall: Upset with the pick because it doesn't help us now but I do think it will help us in the Future.

One thing I think people are forgetting is that to trade up, someone has to be willing to trade up with you. I know the Cardinals traded (with the Saints I think), but that doesn't mean that the Cardinals wouldve been willing to trade with us, a division rival. The cardinals may have taken the stance that they would not help the team that is their direct roadblock to the playoffs get any better. I don't know this, just speculating.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
49ers were the biggest fail in the first round of all 32 teams. You cannot pass on a monster like Marquise lee and take a first round bust like Jimmie Ward.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
49ers were the biggest fail in the first round of all 32 teams. You cannot pass on a monster like Marquise lee and take a first round bust like Jimmie Ward.

Disagree Lions are up there. They land a TE when they already have a TE. They needed Defense. Also Minn taking A. Barr that high. The guy looks like a WR. He needs to add a lot of muscle if he wants to play in the NFL.. I do agree 49ers did screw up.

rjshull

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
F-. This reminds me of the Kentwan Balmer pick. Niners desperately need a WR and Lee was right there for the taking. Lee would be a perfect fit for this offense. Instead, we get a tweener (like Balmer) who probably won't be on the team in a couple of years. In 2008, when the niners selected Balmer, I remember Desean Jackson was right there for the taking. This pick absolutely sucks.

Lee? Are you kidding, why would we want that injury prone receiver in the 1st, I think we could have him with our 2nd easily. If we went WR at that point it should have been Cody Latimer. After not trading up I was hoping for Nix in the first, and Latimer in the 2nd, we do not need Ward, and I think this is another Balmer/Jenkins type of bust.