• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

17 days until the draft.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still think the Bengals go OT....

BUT......

I think Murphy is really, really intriguing at 18 if he's there.

If you really needed to make a move - you could, potentially, trade your extra 3rd and another later round pick to move either into the early 3rd, or late 2nd, and still grab a nice OT to develop behind Brown. I've grown on the kid from N.D. - Who I think would be good enough, but would need some time.

I also would not be surprised to see them grab another DE, even early...this team has yet to find guys who can step in behind Hubbard and Hendrickson. Murphy did have a very good win rate, but it didn't translate. Ossai and Sample have yet to stay healthy or really produce at the level needed.

Another surprise could be at Safety. Have to remember that Stone is only on a 2 year deal - and if they really are moving Hill to move of a nickle/CB role - they will want a 3rd safety - not just for depth, but for specific alignments as well.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Though - I will also say this...

If there are 2, maybe even 3, OT's and both DT's on the board at 18....I would not be shocked to see Cincinnati move down 3-4 spots and collect another 3rd round pick.

Again - that would give them more ammo to move back into the 2nd round if they so desired, and would give them 4 picks in rounds 2/3 where there will be a lot of value depth guys.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Though - I will also say this...

If there are 2, maybe even 3, OT's and both DT's on the board at 18....I would not be shocked to see Cincinnati move down 3-4 spots and collect another 3rd round pick.

Again - that would give them more ammo to move back into the 2nd round if they so desired, and would give them 4 picks in rounds 2/3 where there will be a lot of value depth guys.
I saw some a mock draft that have the Bengals trading up with the Raiders to nab the OT they truly want, Fuaga, and give up their 18th pick and their later 3rd round pick.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think the Bengals go offensive tackle in Round 1. I think Duke has decided to patch it with free agents and search for value in positions that don't often come up in FA (that's why he took Murphy last year; it's why he took Chase over going line, etc). I mean, he could have essentially had Lathan or Mims equivalent by selecting Dawnard Jones last year and he passed on him multiple times.... Even knowing that Jonah would be gone after his franchise year. I think they go receiver or defensive tackle. I also think there is an outside chance at taking corner if their top rated corner drops. And I do agree that they could trade back, but I also don't think they want to have as many picks as they do, so I think its' more likely they trade up in the later rounds.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think the Bengals go offensive tackle in Round 1. I think Duke has decided to patch it with free agents and search for value in positions that don't often come up in FA (that's why he took Murphy last year; it's why he took Chase over going line, etc). I mean, he could have essentially had Lathan or Mims equivalent by selecting Dawnard Jones last year and he passed on him multiple times.... Even knowing that Jonah would be gone after his franchise year. I think they go receiver or defensive tackle. I also think there is an outside chance at taking corner if their top rated corner drops. And I do agree that they could trade back, but I also don't think they want to have as many picks as they do, so I think its' more likely they trade up in the later rounds.
I don't disagree that this is the usual thought - but I think in the past everyone thought the OL was fixed...it wasn't.

While they did sign T.Brown - it is a 1 year deal and his injury history is a concern if only because they do not have a viable option at OT behind him. Same to be said if O.Brown goes down and you slide T.Brown over to LT....who plays RT?

If they don't go RT - I think they go DT and lock up that side of the ball - and they do so feeling that they can get another RT in the draft in round 2 or 3 (or package their 3's to move back into the 2nd round).

If anything, IMO, the Bengals would move back - not up - and then use those picks to potentially move up in rounds 2 or 3, which they have a solid history of doing lately.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw some a mock draft that have the Bengals trading up with the Raiders to nab the OT they truly want, Fuaga, and give up their 18th pick and their later 3rd round pick.
I'd wager they would trade back in round 1 more so than move up.

Tobin loves his value picks in rounds 2 and 3, and I could see them adding more picks there and then even packaging those picks to move back into the 2nd round - something they have done recently, IIRC.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
374 yards per game and 41 touch downs allowed. that's all you need to know.
Yeah - having a down year at the DT position(s) and then having 4 players in their first/second year (or first year at a new position for Hill) really hurt the defense. A lot of big plays both down the field, but also on the edges where veteran players were able to get positioned better.

I think they look to add DT and DE (need to get to the QB other than Hendrickson) and they may look at a CB/S, but they are going to bank on Stone, and those 4 guys now all having a full year, or two, under their belt in Lou's system.

Same can be said for Bates and others in year 1 under Lou and then turning it around the following year.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah - having a down year at the DT position(s) and then having 4 players in their first/second year (or first year at a new position for Hill) really hurt the defense. A lot of big plays both down the field, but also on the edges where veteran players were able to get positioned better.

I think they look to add DT and DE (need to get to the QB other than Hendrickson) and they may look at a CB/S, but they are going to bank on Stone, and those 4 guys now all having a full year, or two, under their belt in Lou's system.

Same can be said for Bates and others in year 1 under Lou and then turning it around the following year.
I bet we don't take a single safety unless it is in the 7th to round out the 10 picks.

I think Hill, Bell, Stone, Anderson, Battle are our safeties. Already looking at potentially having to cut Anderson, I doubt they take one higher than 6th round. That position was fully addressed in free agency in my opinion.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I bet we don't take a single safety unless it is in the 7th to round out the 10 picks.

I think Hill, Bell, Stone, Anderson, Battle are our safeties. Already looking at potentially having to cut Anderson, I doubt they take one higher than 6th round. That position was fully addressed in free agency in my opinion.
Maybe - but the thought is Hill is moving back to CB/Nickle like he did his rookie year and flashed. Hilton is going into his last year.

Bell is a 1 year deal. Stone is just a 2 year deal. The issues on defense last year, aside from the DL, was the lack of leadership and experience that was left when both Bates and Bell left at the same time. Don't think the Bengals don't know that. That means, taking a guy, even in the 4th or 5th round, could still be in play for that very reason - to have them ready for when Bell leaves next year, and for when Stone leaves in 2 years...and you also start looking at if you extend Battle, or not.

The other possible point is - combined with the above - the Safety is just the BPA - Bengals have been true to their board since Taylor and Tobin have been in charge. They don't reach for any specific position - the evaluate and draft. If a Safety lands there, or even a CB - and they are the BPA - that'll be the pick.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe - but the thought is Hill is moving back to CB/Nickle like he did his rookie year and flashed. Hilton is going into his last year.

Bell is a 1 year deal. Stone is just a 2 year deal. The issues on defense last year, aside from the DL, was the lack of leadership and experience that was left when both Bates and Bell left at the same time. Don't think the Bengals don't know that. That means, taking a guy, even in the 4th or 5th round, could still be in play for that very reason - to have them ready for when Bell leaves next year, and for when Stone leaves in 2 years...and you also start looking at if you extend Battle, or not.

The other possible point is - combined with the above - the Safety is just the BPA - Bengals have been true to their board since Taylor and Tobin have been in charge. They don't reach for any specific position - the evaluate and draft. If a Safety lands there, or even a CB - and they are the BPA - that'll be the pick.
You don't take a 5th round safety planning on the future holes. 1-3 rounds are really your building rounds, and you hope you get lucky there. Rounds 4-7 are hole fillers that are a couple year guys to sit bench in case of injury. You hope to luck out with a guy like TJ Houshmanzadeh from time to time.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't take a 5th round safety planning on the future holes. 1-3 rounds are really your building rounds, and you hope you get lucky there. Rounds 4-7 are hole fillers that are a couple year guys to sit bench in case of injury. You hope to luck out with a guy like TJ Houshmanzadeh from time to time.
Just remember, the Bengals took a DE project in round 1 last year because he was the BPA...

Don't think they wouldn't do the same in rounds 3 or 4.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just remember, the Bengals took a DE project in round 1 last year because he was the BPA...

Don't think they wouldn't do the same in rounds 3 or 4.
They could very well take BPA, but that is not what you bank the future on is a 4th rounder becoming a stalwart in your lineup. I think every position is on the table throughout the draft. I just don't think you plan on starters leaving by drafting a 4th rounders with hopes they become a long term starter.

jbuck

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we have 10 picks? trade up, get a stud

jbuck

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
like to see a trde involving higgins and the cards. nab harrison jr.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
like to see a trde involving higgins and the cards. nab harrison jr.
So, if you are AZ why would you do that?

You can land a lower tier W1 and have to pay him a shitton of money now - or you can draft a guy who, by all accounts, is going to be a legit #1 and will be team controlled for 5+ years.

I love Tee - but if I'm Az, no way am I trading away Harrison Jr at 5 years rookie deal for Higgins for a 3-4 year deal.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They could very well take BPA, but that is not what you bank the future on is a 4th rounder becoming a stalwart in your lineup. I think every position is on the table throughout the draft. I just don't think you plan on starters leaving by drafting a 4th rounders with hopes they become a long term starter.
No, but you always want to see where a guy may fit when you take him - BPA or not.

You listed off all the spots ahead of a potential guy - I rebutted. You made it seem like there is zero room, when in actuality there may be plenty of room.

That's all I was getting at. When you look at all the names in the Safety room - sure this year would be crowded - but going forward it would not.