• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

10/1 GDT Bum @ Bucs

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does that game count as a "series"? If so, the Giants have now won 7 consecutive post-season series'.

It's not a series because it's only one game, but since it's part of the MLB postseason, I guess you can say that the Giants have won their last 7 rounds of postseason play.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're definitely underdogs, but we've got a lot of guys who have a good postseason history, so I'm as confident in this team as any other postseason team we've had. We're not loaded with big time sluggers, but one thing you can say about our lineup is that there are really no holes or easy outs. And of course, our pitching is very good and Bochy is an excellent manager.

I am at least as confident in this team as I was in the '10 and '12 teams (meaning, not much as far as winning it all goes). That said, I would say we have approximately a 1/8 chance of winning it all.

Our pitching is not as good as it was in '10 or '12, but the bully is AT LEAST as good (maybe better). The defense is better than either of those teams as well. The offense is better than '10, but not as good as '12. The big thing this team has going for it compared to the other teams is experience. Including the guys on the DL, this team has a total of 30 rings (I did not include Petit's ring from '12 since he was not part of the post-season team and not much of a contributor, nor others in similar situations). That is a LOT of jewelry and a lot of stress experience in that locker room.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am at least as confident in this team as I was in the '10 and '12 teams (meaning, not much as far as winning it all goes). That said, I would say we have approximately a 1/8 chance of winning it all.

Our pitching is not as good as it was in '10 or '12, but the bully is AT LEAST as good (maybe better). The defense is better than either of those teams as well. The offense is better than '10, but not as good as '12. The big thing this team has going for it compared to the other teams is experience. Including the guys on the DL, this team has a total of 30 rings (I did not include Petit's ring from '12 since he was not part of the post-season team and not much of a contributor, nor others in similar situations). That is a LOT of jewelry and a lot of stress experience in that locker room.

Well said. Playoff experience is a thing, too often ignored because it's not numerically quantifiable.
It's why you keep Timmah over Guti

Think of our confidence level if Pagan & Morse in there...

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well said. Playoff experience is a thing, too often ignored because it's not numerically quantifiable.
It's why you keep Timmah over Guti

Think of our confidence level if Pagan & Morse in there...

Pagan, yes.

Morse? Well...

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Long night of celebrating. Great game from Bum, a signature win that will get him the attention he deserves from now on. And Craw is hot right now, on both sides of the ball.

Looks like we got Peavy-Huddy lined up. Then who? Bum? Vogey?

1phlapdown

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's a link on Yahoo to an article saying "Slugger's sis in bad spot". I think it's quite generous to call Brandon Crawford a slugger, but yeah, props to him for being the first shortstop to do that.
He did finish 2nd in MLB triples, so "slugger" is not completely misplaced. Also 4 th on G's in RBI.

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last night was electric. We took them out of the game on Craw's GS. Bum was dominant .... but I still have a gnawing little thing that bothers me. In today's world it is all about data and analytics. If you have enough data you can move towards something akin to predictive analytics. With all of the data we have (even Stokes has it!) on Blanco batting leadoff .... why in hell do we consistantly place him in that role. He sucks as a leadoff hitter and he is MUCH MUCH better in the lower half of the line-up.

Looking forward to the Nats series. I think this will be Peavy's turn to shine.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Long night of celebrating. Great game from Bum, a signature win that will get him the attention he deserves from now on. And Craw is hot right now, on both sides of the ball.

Looks like we got Peavy-Huddy lined up. Then who? Bum? Vogey?

Bum can pitch game 3 on 4 days (normal) rest. But game 4 would have to be Vogey, right? Peavy probably shouldn't do 3 days rest...or maybe game 4 is a Vogey/Petit/pen game?

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bum can pitch game 3 on 4 days (normal) rest. But game 4 would have to be Vogey, right? Peavy probably shouldn't do 3 days rest...or maybe game 4 is a Vogey/Petit/pen game?

It's too bad there wasn't another day off before the NLDS. Then, we could have thought about pitching Bum with 3 days rest in game 2, then again in game 5 if needed with 3 days rest. But now we are locked into him only pitching once in the NLDS - game 3 on Oct 6.

But if we are fortunate enough to win the NLDS, Bum can then pitch twice in the NLCS, including game 1 on Oct 11, where he would have 4 days rest.

And if we do win the NLDS, can we pitch him him 3 times in the NLCS if it goes 7? Games 1, 4, and 7 are scheduled Oct 11, Oct 15, and Oct 19. Obviously, that is 3 days rest between starts.

Ehhh, interesting to think about, but let's win the NLDS first.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't have a link, but I saw a study of "modern" pitchers going on 3-days rest, and it wasn't pretty. Todays pitchers are used to the 4-day rest schedule. Not a good idea to vary from that, me thinks.

Of course, when you look at our options, I am not sure we have a choice. This is NOT your 2010 rotation...

jeep99tj

If you don’t agree with me, don’t talk to me.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 224.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would think it will depend on how the series stands going into that game. If we're down 0-2 MadBum will probably pitch. If not look for Vogie to start.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would think it will depend on how the series stands going into that game. If we're down 0-2 MadBum will probably pitch. If not look for Vogie to start.

I don't agree. If we are down 0-2, than game 4 is just as important as game 3 which is just as important as game 5.

Game 3 would be Bums "regular" day, anyway. I think he pitches that day regardless of series standing.

jeep99tj

If you don’t agree with me, don’t talk to me.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 224.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't agree. If we are down 0-2, than game 4 is just as important as game 3 which is just as important as game 5.

Game 3 would be Bums "regular" day, anyway. I think he pitches that day regardless of series standing.

Sorry, I had a brain fart there. MadBum is scheduled to pitch game 3 anyway.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't have a link, but I saw a study of "modern" pitchers going on 3-days rest, and it wasn't pretty. Todays pitchers are used to the 4-day rest schedule. Not a good idea to vary from that, me thinks.

Of course, when you look at our options, I am not sure we have a choice. This is NOT your 2010 rotation...

Agreed with all of that. And if anyone could pitch on 3 days rest at this time of year, it is Bum. Such an easy, fluid motion. That's why I like big pitchers.

If the choice is Bum on 3 days rest, or Vogey or Huddy on 4, and it's a deciding game, I'm going with Bum.

For that reason, I would like to have seen Noggin pull Bum after 7 with the 7-0 lead. Longer term, that made sense to me.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, what a no drama game! Love it.

Colin gets the game ball for this thread, with the Shawshank theme. Well done sir!

That was fun - allowed for some creativity. Of course, getting out to a big lead that only got bigger loosened things up a bit. I would be in favor of a similar theme (but a different movie) for the next game.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He did finish 2nd in MLB triples, so "slugger" is not completely misplaced. Also 4 th on G's in RBI.

And that, batting 7th or 8th almost the entire season!

And he is clutch; the splits show that he bats better with runners on, even better with RISP, and much much worse when nobody is on.

Last edited by a moderator:

van_basten

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is FS1 the only channel that they will broadcast NLDS?

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And that, batting 7th or 8th almost the entire season!

And he is clutch; the splits show that he bats better with runners on, even better with RISP, and much much worse when nobody is on.

ESPN put up a factoid that said he hit .310 w/RISP in 2014, and .440 after Aug 30. Impressive.