• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

#1 Pens vs. #7 Sens---2nd round series thread

JustAsking

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Pin that last loss on coach DB. Up one goal, about 1 minute to go and you have an extra man... sure, let's put out our best goal scorers, because that is what the Pens needed, a goal at that point... As soon as I saw #71 lugging the puck up at a snails pace, I knew the Pens were trouble... yup, his back checking was just as slow as his break-out... You all know my feeling of #71, graet talent (does amzing things), but just dumb... i can't blame #71 for being, well, #71, but I can blame the coach for putting #71 on the ice at the point in the game.

PS: Are all offensive defensman little punks? Letang and Karlsson.

Dacks

Militant Pacifist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have I ever acted like this team is almighty? Sheesh.

You'll have to excuse Kenny, I've notice that playing second fiddle to Toronto for the last two decades has given Ottawa folk a pretty sever inferiority complex.

Going to the game tomorrow, hopefully I can break my streak of cheering for the losing team in three straight playoff games...

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Going to the game tomorrow, hopefully I can break my streak of cheering for the losing team in three straight playoff games...

We all have faith that your streak will remain intact.

Jimmy_the_Tongue

Walks Hard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Methinks this will still be a very short series....as expected, their goalie stole a game..hopefully, it won't happen again. Shouldn't.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Grapes always says Game 4 is the most important game of a best of 7 series...

Dacks

Militant Pacifist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Grapes always says Game 4 is the most important game of a best of 7 series...

Yeah, I agree completely. If it's 3-0, series is probably over anyway. But most of the time it's 2-1, so game 4 either ends in a stranglehold for one team, or a tied series.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I agree completely. If it's 3-0, series is probably over anyway. But most of the time it's 2-1, so game 4 either ends in a stranglehold for one team, or a tied series.

Very true...wonder what the stats are in regards to how often series go 3-0. It can't be that often...

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You'll have to excuse Kenny, I've notice that playing second fiddle to Toronto for the last two decades has given Ottawa folk a pretty sever inferiority complex.

Yup.

Cause.. you know I live in Ottawa now and have always lived in Ottawa.

Living in Pittsburgh must be fun though, right Dacks?

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have I ever acted like this team is almighty? Sheesh.

OK.

I'll follow up. What makes you say that the Sens played their best game on Sunday?

Because to me, just a guy who watched ~45/48 of their games this year, they were uncharacteristically generous with the puck at the Pens blueline. Pittsburgh has adapted to the Sens possession-style of entering the zone. They've stood up at the blueline and the Sens have turned the puck over plenty. The Sens haven't adjusted well. Full credit to the Pens but Ottawa was sloppier last game at the opponent's blueline than they were in 75% of their games this year.

I also felt that for the first 50 minutes of the game many of the Sens young players were watching the Pens rather than moving their feet. I have a feeling some of them are a little star-struck by all the big names on the Pens. Hopefully they'll get over that due to a win in this series. Other than Pageau, the Sens rookies have looked well below their usual standard.

In short I think that both teams can play better. I still think the Sens are in tough against Pittsburgh, but believe me, they are capable of playing a whole lot better than they did on Sunday.

Dacks

Militant Pacifist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup.

Cause.. you know I live in Ottawa now and have always lived in Ottawa.

Living in Pittsburgh must be fun though, right Dacks?

Goddamnit, are any of the Senators fans on this board actually from Ottawa? I'm in a trash-talking mood and I've got good Ottawa-centric material.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Goddamnit, are any of the Senators fans on this board actually from Ottawa? I'm in a trash-talking mood and I've got good Ottawa-centric material.

I grew up there and still go back all the time.

Just out of curiosity though; if you have such disdain for Ottawa and it's people why don't you just get the fuck out of there?

Dacks

Militant Pacifist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I grew up there and still go back all the time.

Just out of curiosity though; if you have such disdain for Ottawa and it's people why don't you just get the fuck out of there?

Hm... I was unaware that trash-talking rival hockey fans come playoff time meant I have disdain for the city and it's people. Wish you'd told me that before I bought a house here.

Did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed or are you always this grumpy?

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hm... I was unaware that trash-talking rival hockey fans come playoff time meant I have disdain for the city and it's people. Wish you'd told me that before I bought a house here.

Did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed or are you always this grumpy?

Well you WERE slagging Melnyk and the fans when your team wasn't even playing the Senators.. so I guess I just assumed.

I always wake up on the right side of the bed but unprovoked "Ottawa will always be second fiddle to Toronto" bullshit just makes me think of D-bags like DerringerEagle.

It doesn't put me in the best of moods. Carry on with your trash talk though. It's fun.

Dacks

Militant Pacifist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well you WERE slagging Melnyk and the fans when your team wasn't even playing the Senators.. so I guess I just assumed.

I always wake up on the right side of the bed but unprovoked "Ottawa will always be second fiddle to Toronto" bullshit just makes me think of D-bags like DerringerEagle.

It doesn't put me in the best of moods. Carry on with your trash talk though. It's fun.

Yeah, I get a lot of back-and-forth going with friends and colleagues so maybe it randomly spills over onto the board. Unprovoked, as you say! But I've actually been to quite a few Senators games where they're not playing the Penguins or Habs, and have a good time cheering them on.

Tomorrow, though, I'll be sporting the Pens black and gold in enemy territory. Can't wait for Cooke to score the gwg after beheading Aflie.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK.

I'll follow up. What makes you say that the Sens played their best game on Sunday?

Because to me, just a guy who watched ~45/48 of their games this year, they were uncharacteristically generous with the puck at the Pens blueline. Pittsburgh has adapted to the Sens possession-style of entering the zone. They've stood up at the blueline and the Sens have turned the puck over plenty. The Sens haven't adjusted well. Full credit to the Pens but Ottawa was sloppier last game at the opponent's blueline than they were in 75% of their games this year.

I also felt that for the first 50 minutes of the game many of the Sens young players were watching the Pens rather than moving their feet. I have a feeling some of them are a little star-struck by all the big names on the Pens. Hopefully they'll get over that due to a win in this series. Other than Pageau, the Sens rookies have looked well below their usual standard.

In short I think that both teams can play better. I still think the Sens are in tough against Pittsburgh, but believe me, they are capable of playing a whole lot better than they did on Sunday.

I should've been clearer: best of the series. They have more in them, certainly.

I KNOW the Pens can play better, but that's the happiest I've been with their performance in awhile. Sans about 30 freaking seconds. I actually thought they were the better team in OT as well, but that's not always what wins you games.

Also, you can't deny the easy target that Melnyk made himself with us, hahah. Murray is awful sensitive too. They're passionate, and that's awesome, but it spills into crazy territory occasionally.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I should've been clearer: best of the series. They have more in them, certainly.

I KNOW the Pens can play better, but that's the happiest I've been with their performance in awhile. Sans about 30 freaking seconds. I actually thought they were the better team in OT as well, but that's not always what wins you games.

Also, you can't deny the easy target that Melnyk made himself with us, hahah. Murray is awful sensitive too. They're passionate, and that's awesome, but it spills into crazy territory occasionally.

Both teams brought a pretty good effort in OT, I thought. Odd how when the refs let them play they both produced a good product.

I certainly don't think the Pens have brought their absolute A game yet. If they do, and it includes their goalie, they'll win. This is a team that should be peaking and their "window" to win is as open as it ever will be. They're up against a team that started rebuilding less than 2 years ago.

While I hope for the Sens to win, the player personnel on the Pens is almost uniformly better than Ottawa's. If the Pens play to their full potential they'll win. They haven't yet and neither has Ottawa. This gives me hope that an upset could be possible.

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Changes I hope to see tonight from Pittsburgh:

1. No more Engelland. He isn't cut out for playoff hockey. In the run of the mill regular season, Engelland is sufficient. When the uptick in intensity inevitably occurs once the post-season begins, Engelland's lack of speed becomes apparent. Combine that with HCDB's decision to pair Deryk with Douglas Murray(who is slower than Engelland) and it is a recipe for disaster. Really hoping to see our young blue-liner Simon Despres in for Engelland, tonight

2. Start Jokinen. At first i thought Bylsma was healthy scratching Jussi, which was puzzling. Then news comes out yesterday that Juice was still suffering from the Reasoner knee-on-knee hit from Rd. 1, which explains his status. It sounds like Jokinen is healthy enough to play tonight. Which in turn means Tanner Glass will likely be the odd man out if Jussi is indeed going to start.

3. Keep Ottawa to the outside in the Pens defensive zone. Vokoun has been very solid since replacing MAF. His rebound control is questionable, but by and large, he is answering the bell. His best game of the series was probably game 3, even with the loss. It is the rebounds that worry me. Pens have to keep the crease clear of crashing Sens. This kind of relates back to Engelland because logic would say he should be good at doing this kind of thing. Ottawa is taking advantage of the Engelland/Murray combo. This is why I say insert Despres. Simon is capable of making the better defensive read, whereas Engelland seems to get caught thinking instead of just reacting.

4. Keep peppering Anderson. One of the Pens popular tactics is the pass off the pads. Force Anderson to kick shots out of his paint, and don't always look to elevate the shot for him to gobble up in his trapper. Get him moving side to side and I think the Pens will continue to get pucks behind him.

IPostedWhat

I'm So High Right Now
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Q61Iswn.gif

4y3QJRXl.jpg

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounding like Jokinen will be in. I'm a big fan of that. Faceoffs, offensive ability to the fourth line, can kill penalties. Automatically>>>>Glass.