• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

MLB Daily Thread: 08/15/17: Yanks take 1st game of subway series;

cerealboi

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,620.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reddit. . . .

PhXCyON.png

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reddit. . . .

PhXCyON.png

The most fascinating thing with this guy is that he will finish around .280, with an OPS over 1, 40+HR 100+RBI

And ill be concerned entering 2018 with him as the starting RF

Strangest season ever

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they are heading back to the WS

The Astros staff isn't built for the postseason IMO

As far as the WS, I just think you never know when you get into those short series (and I consider 7-games to be a short series). Teams can get hot. Honestly, I don't think the Indians were better than the Red Sox or Jays last year, they just got hot at the right time.

On paper, I'm starting to think the Indians are the best team in the AL, but we'll see what happens.

Regarding the Astros' staff, I have it on good authority that their bullpen is really built for the postseason relative to teams that aren't going to make the postseason.

cerealboi

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,620.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The most fascinating thing with this guy is that he will finish around .280, with an OPS over 1, 40+HR 100+RBI

Strangest season ever

It is fairly mind blowing that after what a shit show his second half has been so far, his numbers (OPS and OBP) are still amazing. Definitely a guy you can live with the strikeouts as long as he continues to homer and walk.

cerealboi

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,620.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't see this every day . . . thrown out after a called ball.

soxfan1468927

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,185.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The longest strikeout streak in history for anyone that I can find is 37 games, for Bill Stoneman between April 30, 1971 and April 21, 1972.:suds:

He can break it next tuesday vs kitty kats:suds:
Yeah but he was a pitcher. Longest for a positional player would be better

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as the WS, I just think you never know when you get into those short series (and I consider 7-games to be a short series). Teams can get hot. Honestly, I don't think the Indians were better than the Red Sox or Jays last year, they just got hot at the right time.

On paper, I'm starting to think the Indians are the best team in the AL, but we'll see what happens.

Regarding the Astros' staff, I have it on good authority that their bullpen is really built for the postseason relative to teams that aren't going to make the postseason.

The Indians found the new age blueprint to win in the postseason.......Not sure how new it is, or that organizations are more aware of it than ever........But you win in the postseason now with a BP, much more than a starting staff, probably not as important as an everyday lineup.....

Its why I thought the Yankees had the right idea at the deadline, it was impossible to forecast how absolutely dreadful this lineup would become....But this is what happens when you put secondary players in everyday roles, they look good for a handful of games, than eventually prove to you why they are secondary players

The Stros starting staff and pen, that team can, and will have to slug the shit out of teams in October, and we know how hard that is when you are going against the klubers and Sales of the world

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Indians found the new age blueprint to win in the postseason.......Not sure how new it is, or that organizations are more aware of it than ever........But you win in the postseason now with a BP, much more than a starting staff, probably not as important as an everyday lineup.....

Its why I thought the Yankees had the right idea at the deadline, it was impossible to forecast how absolutely dreadful this lineup would become....But this is what happens when you put secondary players in everyday roles, they look good for a handful of games, than eventually prove to you why they are secondary players

The Stros starting staff and pen, that team can, and will have to slug the shit out of teams in October, and we know how hard that is when you are going against the klubers and Sales of the world

Royals started this in 2015 won with
volquez
ventura
guthrie
duffy
young
and late addition of cueto who sucked in reg season but did pretty good in post season
but
holland
herrera
davis
madson
morales
was the backbone of that team:suds:

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Royals started this in 2015 won with
volquez
ventura
guthrie
duffy
young
and late addition of cueto who sucked in reg season but did pretty good in post season
but
holland
herrera
davis
madson
morales
was the backbone of that team:suds:

Not to make it about the Yankees, but shortening games and an unhittable pen was the formula of their 90's dynasty

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not to make it about the Yankees, but shortening games and an unhittable pen was the formula of their 90's dynasty

I agree with you in that neither the Indians or Royals invented strong bullpens and the 90's Yankees certainly liked the idea of essentially shortening games to six or seven innings, but I'm not convinced they invented that notion either.

This shit seems kind of cyclical. In a few years, a couple world series will be won on lights out starting pitching, and everyone will decide that's the formula for success. Then a couple teams will slug their way to titles, and that will be the new formula.

There are many more than just one way to skin a cat as it relates to MLB championships. I've always been partial to the line; Pitching wins championships, except when it doesn't.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd also add that putting together a lock down bullpen isn't the easiest thing in the world to do. By nature, relief pitchers don't have a lot of innings to analyze, so often you don't know what you're going to get from one year to the next.

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd also add that putting together a lock down bullpen isn't the easiest thing in the world to do. By nature, relief pitchers don't have a lot of innings to analyze, so often you don't know what you're going to get from one year to the next.
u mean like this guy:suds:

Red Sox acquired RHP Addison Reed from the Mets for RHPs Jamie Callahan, Gerson Bautista, and Stephen Nogosek.

The Red Sox will cover Reed’s remaining salary (approximately $2.6 million) as part of the deal. The 28-year-old will form a potent one-two punch with closer Craig Kimbrel in the back-end of Boston’s bullpen. Reed was one of baseball’s best relievers during his time with the Mets, posting a 2.09 ERA over 145 appearances.

10.38 era with sox small sample but still ugh

osubuckeye89

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,440.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We witnessed our fair share of bad bullpens in the mid-late 2000s and earlier 2010s so amen to that :lol:

osubuckeye89

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,440.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of relievers tend to have 1 or 2 good seasons then fall off. Relief Pitching is easily the hardest baseball position to scout/analyze.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We witnessed our fair share of bad bullpens in the mid-late 2000s and earlier 2010s so amen to that :lol:

Word.

On the other hand, seeing guys like Joe Borowski and Bob Wickman be among the league leaders in saves made me realize that an elite and expensive closer is a nice luxury, but not necessary.

osubuckeye89

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,440.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Word.

On the other hand, seeing guys like Joe Borowski and Bob Wickman be among the league leaders in saves made me realize that an elite and expensive closer is a nice luxury, but not necessary.

Borowski and his 45 saves with a 5 ERA :suds:

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Strangest season ever
willy mo pena still plays in japan...so judge has hope.