• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

young defense

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
  • i

John KeimESPN Staff Writer
The Washington Redskins’ defense played with attitude Sunday, shutting down an Oakland Raiders offense that entered with a lot of production. They also played with something else that bodes well for their future: plenty of young players.

For the first time in a while, the Redskins have a legitimate young talent base to build around defensively. The free-agent acquisitions of safety D.J. Swearingerand linebacker Zach Brown have helped quite a bit. But the development of the younger players has been crucial.

Of the Redskins’ 22 defensive players who participated in Sunday’ 27-10 win over Oakland, 10 were in their third year or fewer and four were rookies. It will lead to growing pains at times, but a lot of energy and production in other games. Here’s a look at each one:

Linebacker Preston Smith: A second-round pick in 2015, Smith started to mature this offseason in terms of taking care of himself, eating better and doing more stretching exercises, among other things. Whether or not that’s why he’s off to a good start is hard to say. But Smith has played well the first three games. It’s not just the team-best three sacks -- it’s the consistent pressure as well as his run defense.

End Jonathan Allen: The Redskins will long thank whomever they need for letting Allen fall to No. 17 in the draft this past spring. Allen has mostly played tackle in the Redskins’ nickel package, but also has played end in base. Allen has provided an impact. The ability to collapse the pocket from the inside – and preventing an area for the quarterback to step up -- gives the outside linebackers a better shot at sacks. Allen has one sack, showing an ability to split blockers and use power. The Redskins know Allen will keep improving.

“That’s the most exciting thing about Jonathan,” Redskins coach Jay Gruden said. “He just hasn’t scratched the surface of his own potential yet.”

Jonathan Allen somehow slid to No. 17 in the draft, and the Redskins are thankful. Mark Goldman/Icon Sportswire
End Matt Ioannidis: He plays tackle with Allen in the nickel package, occasionally playing end in their base front. He might have improved as much as anyone from last season, when he was a rookie fifth-round pick. The Redskins played him out of position at nose before wisely moving him to his current role. Ioannidis has been as effective as any defensive lineman, playing with better leverage and more power. He has one sack.

“The development of Matt Ioannidis has been critical,” Gruden said.

Cornerback Kendall Fuller: Another who has improved dramatically is Fuller, who starts in the slot, giving the Redskins solid play from there thus far. As a rookie last season, he was coming off microfracture knee surgery and though healthy enough to play, the Redskins say his play was impacted all season. He intercepted Derek Carr Sunday night.

“He’s one of our smartest players,” Gruden said. “Now I think he’s 100 percent healthy and feels confident and mentally he is always going to put himself in good positions. That’s what I love about Kendall. He is always going to have good technique and play with the right leverage and do what he is supposed to on defense. When you do that, man, good things will happen.”

Safety Montae Nicholson: The Redskins lost Su’a Cravens to retirement – or a one-year hiatus – but Nicholson, a rookie fourth-round pick, will soften that blow. The rookie has played safety opposite Swearinger the last two weeks, mostly in nickel. He offers good size (6-foot-2, 216 pounds) and speed. Nicholson can hit and cover, as he showed on the second play of the game, when he intercepted Carr. On the play, Nicholson stayed disciplined in his deep half and pivoted correctly when Carr unloaded the ball. Perhaps Nicholson’s best move: He pays attention to Swearinger.

Linebacker Ryan Anderson: The rookie second-round pick played 22 snaps last week, serving as a backup to Smith. Anderson suffered a setback this summer with a shoulder injury. He plays the run well and provides excellent depth at an impact position.

Linebacker Martrell Spaight: With starter Mason Foster out, Spaight played most of the game – all in the nickel package. He was replaced by Will Compton when the Redskins used their base front. The Redskins had hoped Spaight, a 2015 fifth-round pick, would contend for a starting job this summer, but injuries again cost him time.

Safety Deshazor Everett: He started the season opener, but has played mostly in the Redskins’ base package the last two games. The Redskins viewed Everett, in his third season, as a solid backup and key special-teams player. He’s developed well after switching from corner in 2016 and provides solid hits, though he was inconsistent in coverage the first game.

Corner Fabian Moreau: A third-round pick who would have gone higher if not for a torn pectoral in March. Moreau, who made two plays as a gunner on punt coverage Sunday night, projects as a future starter. He’s played six snaps from scrimmage this season. His time will come.

Corner Quinton Dunbar: He’s played sparingly and, in terms of the future, still projects as a backup. He’s carved out a good niche, though, after switching from receiver as a rookie three years ago. His long arms and size give him an advantage in man coverage. He helps on special teams, too.
i think this defense can be something really good if we can get some more good young depth in the d/line

this bodes well for the future , good young defenders

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, you could almost feel the energy from the defense Sunday night. And I was pleasantly shocked at how physical they were as well. Granted Lynch didn't have a lot of carries, but he was hit harder and punished more
last Sunday. Than he had been in the last 4 or 5 games combined when he was a Seahawk and we played them. He would habitually bitch-slap our defense on the regular in the past and not just the Skins defense either. He's made a few defenses bow down. Raider WRs at times looked more concerned about where Swearinger or Nicholson were instead of making catches on catch-able balls.

Every player mentioned above at one time or another has done something I've noticed in the last 3 weeks. Ioannidis, Allen, and Smith all played with great leverage and Sunday was the first time, the only time really, I can say I was impressed with Martrell, he and Brown looked good together out there.

Who's playing NG in our 34 defense? Stacy McGee?

I'm interested to see how Murphy looks when he gets back. He really hurt himself though getting suspended as the OLB position seems to have gotten very crowded. Thd ILB spots look healthy as well now.

The secondary isn't looking too shabby either far as depth.

Still really early in the season, but for as much shit as the Skins defense caught last year. Being the favorite whipping post of some. I'm surprise not a single poster has had anything to say, comment on or opine about. As of right now. The Skins defense is 2nd in the league in rushing defense, 5th in total defense and 12th I believe in passing defense.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm interested to see how Murphy looks when he gets back. He really hurt himself though getting suspended as the OLB position seems to have gotten very crowded. Thd ILB spots look healthy as well now.

Again - I assume that you are talking about how Murphy will look next season since he is out for the whole season.

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again - I assume that you are talking about how Murphy will look next season since he is out for the whole season.

Its been another rough week. I just quit doing meth Monday. Is Lloyd Bridges still alive? I need to call him and see how he did it.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
However Breed you bring up a pretty good pt. Both Murphy & Cravens were players that the Redskins D were counting on to a fair extent & they don't appear to really be missing either of them rt now. I think that this is testimony to how the coaching & player development is building the D and the team as an entire unit & not just a handful of good players.

A good unit has depth & can survive injuries to an extent. In the past losing these 2 players would probably have been a disaster. Hopefully they keep up the good play (perhaps not to the extent on Sun but at lesst heading in the rt direction).

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
However Breed you bring up a pretty good pt. Both Murphy & Cravens were players that the Redskins D were counting on to a fair extent & they don't appear to really be missing either of them rt now. I think that this is testimony to how the coaching & player development is building the D and the team as an entire unit & not just a handful of good players.

A good unit has depth & can survive injuries to an extent. In the past losing these 2 players would probably have been a disaster. Hopefully they keep up the good play (perhaps not to the extent on Sun but at lesst heading in the rt direction).

With the good play of Smith and Galette, I don't see the Skins signing back Murphy. If Galette leaves via FA maybe but its a longshot b/c of the drafting of Anderson. It is really the play of Smith that will determine the fate of Murphy.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TM wont cost much and he is a swiss army knife type of player . we can use him

skinz2winz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Having said that, it sheds optimistic light on the near future when likely both return and hopefully contribute to an already young building defense.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the good play of Smith and Galette, I don't see the Skins signing back Murphy. If Galette leaves via FA maybe but its a longshot b/c of the drafting of Anderson. It is really the play of Smith that will determine the fate of Murphy.

......And the continued good health of Galette

Ruzious

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Honestly, I had forgotten all about Murphy. In another couple of weeks, I'll probably forget about Cravens - other than to thank him for letting us see Nicholson play. But both Murphy and Cravens are young former 2nd rounders, and I thought... ya gotta depend on 2nd rounders to be keys to your future. But the Skins D's dramatic improvement is all the more remarkable in that it's been done without their help.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, I had forgotten all about Murphy. In another couple of weeks, I'll probably forget about Cravens - other than to thank him for letting us see Nicholson play. But both Murphy and Cravens are young former 2nd rounders, and I thought... ya gotta depend on 2nd rounders to be keys to your future. But the Skins D's dramatic improvement is all the more remarkable in that it's been done without their help.
TM has played good ball for us and he will continue to do so . he is a versatile guy