• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

You are a NFL coach with the new touchback rule putting the ball on the 25 yard line

LambeauLegs

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,938.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What are your thoughts or does this change anything for your team?

When kicking off do you kick it out of the endzone giving your opponent an extra 5 yards now?

When kicking off do you instead try to have the ball land between the goal line and 5 yard line and then try to hold them from getting to the 25 yard line?

When receiving a kickoff do you even try running it back at anytime the ball is kicked into the endzone since you now would get it at the 25 yard line?

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

When kicking off do you kick it out of the endzone giving your opponent an extra 5 yards now?

When kicking off do you instead try to have the ball land between the goal line and 5 yard line and then try to hold them from getting to the 25 yard line?

When receiving a kickoff do you even try running it back at anytime the ball is kicked into the endzone since you now would get it at the 25 yard line?

I would work with the kicker to get a bit more air under the ball. Instead of crushing it through the endzone, lob it down there inside the 5. The extra hang time will get your coverage team on top of the returner, and he won't have the option to kneel. Angling toward the corner is another option, but with a greater risk of putting it on the 40 if it goes out of bounds.

That would be the case in a close game. If you have a sizable lead, put it through the end zone to eliminate any chance of a big return.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless you have a great returner, I'll tell my kicker not to kick it in the end zone.

This rule just guaranteed even more kick returns

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Air under the ball, trying to drop about the ball right in front of the goal line or just inside the endzone. I haven't looked it up, but I imagine the average NFL return is less than 25 yards.

The funny thing is, the simple solution would be to just move kickoffs back 5 yards. But in doing so, the NFL would be admitting their mistake in moving the kickoff up just a few seasons ago. So we get this instead.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A good kick returner? Boot it through the end zone or kick it deep in since they'll try to return it anyway.
A bad-mediocre kick returner? Kick that sucker short.

Since there is only a handful of dangerous kick returners in the NFL, I'd think we'll just see even more kick returns now lol. I hope the injuries increase 10-fold next season just so I can laugh in the owners' face.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You put that into play unless they have Prime Time, Devin Hester, Dante Hall that one year, etc. I could see going for the touchback in certain end of half or end of game scenarios, too, but thats just a 5 yard gift that you can't give someone.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually having a weaker leg helps?...lol

I think it's tough to get that high soft wedge inside the 5 and the goal line...you're going to get some to the 10, 15 etc depending on wind...few kickers can pull that off consistently...the NFL is going to get what they want here imo...less returns.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Until they get it sorted, there could be a lot more mid-field pooch kicks with recovery attempts.

cowboycolors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nfl wants the Kickoff return out of the game that's a shame

old1r1sh

It's a Great Day for Hockey
Hoopla Cash
$ 990.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why have kickoffs if they hate it so much? Why don't they just have every drive start at the 25 or something and forego the kickoff entirely? I don't agree with messing with it at all, but if the NFL wants to get rid of it, why not actually just get rid of it instead of trying to make it more pointless?

LambeauLegs

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,938.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thoughts from an NFL coach

Packers coach Mike McCarthy rips NFL's new touchback rule

"Do you want the kicking game in the game or not in the game?" McCarthy said on Wednesday at the NFL owners meeting,via ESPN.com. "If it's in the game, let's kick it and return it and let's play the play. I just don't like [it]."

The new rule means that starting in 2016, any kickoff that results in a touchback will give the opposing team possession at the 25-yard line instead of the 20. McCarthy's biggest issue with the change is that it "rewards" teams for doing nothing.

"Let's not reward a decision not to compete with five extra yards. If we're going to compete, let's compete," McCarthy said. "If we're not going to compete, let's not compete."

The good news for McCarthy is that he might not have to deal with the rule change for very long. The NFL only approved the rule for one year, meaning that it could be changed back following the 2016 season.

cowboycolors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This might be the worst rule change ever I agree with McCarthy either the kicking game is in or its not

Whats next no more punts ? and how the hell do you manage to find a effed up way to do that

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nfl wants the Kickoff return out of the game that's a shame
Feel the same way, love the occasional big return. Harvins return in the SB comes to mind. Shame to lose that kind of excitement.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

"Do you want the kicking game in the game or not in the game?" McCarthy said on Wednesday at the NFL owners meeting,via ESPN.com. "If it's in the game, let's kick it and return it and let's play the play. I just don't like [it]."

The new rule means that starting in 2016, any kickoff that results in a touchback will give the opposing team possession at the 25-yard line instead of the 20. McCarthy's biggest issue with the change is that it "rewards" teams for doing nothing.

"Let's not reward a decision not to compete with five extra yards. If we're going to compete, let's compete," McCarthy said. "If we're not going to compete, let's not compete."

The good news for McCarthy is that he might not have to deal with the rule change for very long. The NFL only approved the rule for one year, meaning that it could be changed back following the 2016 season.

I can see that. But the issue is that kickoffs are by far the most dangerous play in football. So they are looking at how to reduce them, but still give teams the field position that average teams had back when kickoffs were returned more often.

As for what I would do..

Don't return out of the end zone unless the situation really looks good for it. Like my guy is averaging 30 a return, the opponents coverage unit sucks, wind is 40 mph coming at us on this drive and my QB can't move the ball, etc..

I don't like the angling the kick bit. Too big of a risk when that thing goes to the 40. Increases the chance an opponent will score by like 14% over getting it at the 20 (only 2.8% difference from 20 - 25). I really think that directional kicking when people were doing it to Hester looked pretty ugly.

Not sure I like the floating kick either. Seems like a lot of the times when you see that, then end up having a huge variation where they end up. Like they try and float it and it's returned from the 15 and he gets 15-20 yards anyways...

It will be interesting because there are a lot of numbers involved. 0% chance for a touchback to be returned for a TD. 0% chance of the 40 yard field position out of bounds. 0% chance of recovering a fumble on the return. 0% chance they get a good return past the 25.

On the flip side, you can stop them at the 20 instead of the 25, 2.8% more likely they don't score.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The sole reason for kickoffs these days is for the commercial breaks.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Put some more air under it.

The distance doesn't matter as much any more. Instead of a 45 degree kickoff for max distance you go for a ~50 degree one instead. I'm not going to go through the exact trigonometry right now, but you can get your coverage unit down there in time; and a kick returner can't just fair catch it at the 5 and they can't let it bounce because the kicking team could recover.

The end result of this rule is kickers having something new to practice. And if the punter is better at it then it's going to be him kicking it off.

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Having watch my Cardinals run it out and fail to get past the 20 too many times to count...I'd say you hope for a return if you have a good special teams unit you can rely on. It probably comes down to matchups and your honest assessment of your own kickoff unit. Makes things a lot more interesting.

DHoey

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,893.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the NFL should just go AFL, put a net up and kick off from the 50.

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why have kickoffs if they hate it so much? Why don't they just have every drive start at the 25 or something and forego the kickoff entirely? I don't agree with messing with it at all, but if the NFL wants to get rid of it, why not actually just get rid of it instead of trying to make it more pointless?

If they could figure out what to do about onside kicks, while still getting rid of the kickoff I believe they would have already removed it from the game.

old1r1sh

It's a Great Day for Hockey
Hoopla Cash
$ 990.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they could figure out what to do about onside kicks, while still getting rid of the kickoff I believe they would have already removed it from the game.
That's a good point. I forgot about onside kicks.