• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Yeah I am officially done with fighting in the NHL

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I personally think fighting is unnecessary & overrated but it does a good job of dumbing down the sport so that it gets a wider appeal. I mean look at the NFL NBA & MLB, they don't allow fighting and their ratings are nowhere nearly as good as the NHL's. Oh wait...

IPostedWhat

I'm So High Right Now
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fact still remains that over 98% of the players are in favor of it, and I would assume that number accounts for the players that aren't enforcers or goons. If that many players are for it, who are we to tell them it's barbaric and not needed? That would be like me telling the fire department the best way to put out a fire that doesn't invlove using a hose.

If you make the majority of players in the NHL unhappy, then I guess fighting will go away, because there won't be any games being played.

From ESPN in December (insider content), 20 random NHL players were asked their opinion on fighting and whether it should be banned:

No. Period. 100 percent of the players -- Euros, North Americans, skilled stars and tough guys who need to brawl to earn a living in the league -- all agreed that they're in favor of keeping fighting in the game.

"It serves a valuable purpose to the game when used effectively and appropriately," one Southeastern skater said simply.

"It's part of hockey," one European skater said. "In my opinion, it's always good when it comes down to the emotions, when it's not a show. You understand that there's retaliation, that if somebody does something dumb, you kind of have to pay for it."

"Absolutely not," one enforcer responded. "It's a respect issue; it's been in the league since day one. The game would change dramatically if there was no fighting, and a lot of people wouldn't be coming to watch."

Y! SPORTS

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I personally think fighting is unnecessary & overrated but it does a good job of dumbing down the sport so that it gets a wider appeal. I mean look at the NFL NBA & MLB, they don't allow fighting and their ratings are nowhere nearly as good as the NHL's. Oh wait...

Lol.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fact still remains that over 98% of the players are in favor of it, and I would assume that number accounts for the players that aren't enforcers or goons. If that many players are for it, who are we to tell them it's barbaric and not needed? That would be like me telling the fire department the best way to put out a fire that doesn't invlove using a hose.

If you make the majority of players in the NHL unhappy, then I guess fighting will go away, because there won't be any games being played.

Y! SPORTS

Didn't players feel the same way about wearing helmets & visors? Times change as safety concerns are raised.

IPostedWhat

I'm So High Right Now
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After the Sabres/Leafs game, ESPN put up a poll asking "Should the NHL ban fighting?"

31,024 people around the World voted, and 90% said "No".

So yeah, I don't think too many fans are screaming for it to go away.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fighting is fighting, nothing changes about a guy trying to put his fist into another guy's face.

I have to disagree, as we learn more and more about head injuries I think our attitudes about encouraging people to pound each heads with bare knuckled fists and slamming each other to the ice should also change. I was all about fights also, until I read about what happened to Derek Boogaard.

IPostedWhat

I'm So High Right Now
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to disagree, as we learn more and more about head injuries I think our attitudes about encouraging people to pound each heads with bare knuckled fists and slamming each other to the ice should also change. I was all about fights also, until I read about what happened to Derek Boogaard.

Everyone who plays the game is aware of what can happen, and they are still in favor of it. Are you saying the majority of players are simply too dumb or ignorant about it?

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone who plays the game is aware of what can happen, and they are still in favor of it. Are you saying the majority of players are simply too dumb or ignorant about it?

I doubt if the majority of the players are well versed in neuroscience so yes I do think the the majority of the players are ignorant of the true dangers of head injuries. Scientists are constantly learning more and more ways brain damage occurs. Also the addictions which occur from coping with these brain injuries. I don't think anyone could be truly aware of that unless they experience it for themselves. I understand it has it's traditions in the sport but we as society shouldn't be encouraging this knowing the dangers involved.

Dacks

Militant Pacifist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't see how any of the arguments for fighting stand up anymore.

1) Self-policing? Right. Because the cheapshot artists of the NHL are worried about having to fight later? They just turtle, let their goon deal with the consequences, and cheapshot another day. And anyway, now we see fights after every big hit, clear or dirty, so it's not like these guys can make a good judgement as to what needs to be policed.

2) Popular amongst players? So what? They didn't want helmets or a salary cap either. And somehow, I'm not surprised that most of them are against a rule that would essentially put one of their teammates out of business and a career. Shocking.

3) Popular amongst fans? Again, a popular opinion is not necessarily a good one. And IPW, a self-reported voluntary survey on a website isn't exactly representative, stats 101. Also, asking just hockey fans the question doesn't really capture the possibility of people who would be fans if there wasn't fighting.

4) Hits are dangerous too, why not take it out of the game? Okay, but hitting is legal. It's a contact sport. There's a purpose to hitting other than hurting your opponent. Fighting? Not so much. And there are plenty of contact sports with high intensity that don't allow fighting. (Basically, every other one.)

I don't mind the occasional fight, but a 5 minute penalty is ridiculous. Maybe an increasing system? First time, it's a game misconduct, with suspensions of increasing length as the season goes on. After five fights, you're done for season. So you can still have your fights, and the subsequent momentum swings, but it better be worth it.

IPostedWhat

I'm So High Right Now
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt if the majority of the players are well versed in neuroscience so yes I do think the the majority of the players are ignorant of the true dangers of head injuries. Scientists are constantly learning more and more ways brain damage occurs. Also the addictions which occur from coping with these brain injuries. I don't think anyone could be truly aware of that unless they experience it for themselves. I understand it has it's traditions in the sport but we as society shouldn't be encouraging this knowing the dangers involved.

So you're saying that a player simply doesn't understand that getting hit in the head repeatedly with a fist might be bad for them?

Are you saying they don't have the capacity to read up on scientific finds about it, or that the team doesn't have personnel who are trained or better equipped to understand these sort of things?

You are thinking things from a fan's point of view. It's easy to pass judgment on something when it isn't your job or livelihood on the line.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't see how any of the arguments for fighting stand up anymore.

1) Self-policing? Right. Because the cheapshot artists of the NHL are worried about having to fight later? They just turtle, let their goon deal with the consequences, and cheapshot another day. And anyway, now we see fights after every big hit, clear or dirty, so it's not like these guys can make a good judgement as to what needs to be policed.

2) Popular amongst players? So what? They didn't want helmets or a salary cap either. And somehow, I'm not surprised that most of them are against a rule that would essentially put one of their teammates out of business and a career. Shocking.

3) Popular amongst fans? Again, a popular opinion is not necessarily a good one. And IPW, a self-reported voluntary survey on a website isn't exactly representative, stats 101. Also, asking just hockey fans the question doesn't really capture the possibility of people who would be fans if there wasn't fighting.

4) Hits are dangerous too, why not take it out of the game? Okay, but hitting is legal. It's a contact sport. There's a purpose to hitting other than hurting your opponent. Fighting? Not so much. And there are plenty of contact sports with high intensity that don't allow fighting. (Basically, every other one.)

I don't mind the occasional fight, but a 5 minute penalty is ridiculous. Maybe an increasing system? First time, it's a game misconduct, with suspensions of increasing length as the season goes on. After five fights, you're done for season. So you can still have your fights, and the subsequent momentum swings, but it better be worth it.

I agree, if you throw punches you should be kicked out of the game, fined, & suspended just like in the other 4 major sports. Good post BTW.

IPostedWhat

I'm So High Right Now
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, it's not like you see other major sports have concerns with head injuries. That's because they don't allow fighting of any kind.

IPostedWhat

I'm So High Right Now
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4) Hits are dangerous too, why not take it out of the game? Okay, but hitting is legal. It's a contact sport.

It depends how or where they hit them though. Some hits aren't legal, and most fans don't agree with how they are called or not called. Maybe they need to just take it out of the game just to be safe?

I would be willing to bet that more players are injured due to hitting during a game than from fighting.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you're saying that a player simply doesn't understand that getting hit in the head repeatedly with a fist might be bad for them?

Are you saying they don't have the capacity to read up on scientific finds about it, or that the team doesn't have personnel who are trained or better equipped to understand these sort of things?

You are thinking things from a fan's point of view. It's easy to pass judgment on something when it isn't your job or livelihood on the line.

I don't think they understand how bad things can get. A lot of these players enter the league in their late teens or early 20s. I don't think I knew or cared too much about the possibility of being addicted to Oxycodone in order to cope with CTE when I was that age.

juliansteed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can really see the arguments from both sides. Personally I don't mind a fair fight at all between 2 willing participants, which is what we had tonight. It just turned out to be a very unfortunate result.

What I don't like is when we see extreme barbaric acts that are way over the top whether they be fighting or otherwise. I can take fighting in hockey or leave it but I think there needs to be some reasonable ground rules, and I honestly think that is the NHL's intent with most of their rules regarding fighting. I don't think they are trying to phase it out at all. I think they are trying to find the best ways to regulate it so that they can keep it.

IPostedWhat

I'm So High Right Now
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think they understand how bad things can get.

No, I'm pretty sure they do know. What you have to understand is that these guys are getting paid a good amount of money to fight. Some of them like Scott have no other skills but fighting. Money wins out over health concerns, but that is the risk they know and are willing to take.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It depends how or where they hit them though. Some hits aren't legal, and most fans don't agree with how they are called or not called. Maybe they need to just take it out of the game just to be safe?

I would be willing to bet that more players are injured due to hitting during a game than from fighting.

Fine take hitting out of the game, I'm fine with that, are you? Do you believe hitting is really less essential and more dangerous than fighting? Why is it that it's mostly enforcers that end up addicted to pain killers, overdosing, & committing suicide? I really doubt you believe what you posted there.

Dacks

Militant Pacifist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, it's not like you see other major sports have concerns with head injuries. That's because they don't allow fighting of any kind.

You know, IPW, you usually have some good points to make, so I don't know why you also clutter them with some really shitty nonsense.

Contact sports will always come with risk of injury. Hell, non-contact sports come with risk of injury. Any rule designed around player safety will ultimately be a compromise between player safety and maintaining the flow and style of the sport.

Removing fighting would reduce injuries, yes. But it would also fundamentally change the way the game is played. It would change the nature of the game very significantly.

Taking fighting out of the game, IMO, would not change the game fundamentally. If refereed properly (big if, I know), this whole nonsense of 'self-policing' wouldn't be needed. And yes, there are other leagues (rugby comes to mind) that have plenty of intensity without needing fighting to somehow eliminate cheapshots.

To me, though, taking fighting out isn't even primarily about safety. It's the fact that it's staged, doesn't serve it's supposed purpose, unnecessarily puts people at risk of injury, and frankly, I don't see how it makes sense to condone fighting as a way to solve problem in fighting.

I like hockey and fighting. Just don't need them at the same time. I have NHL for hockey, and MMA for fighting, which frankly is a lot more entertaining than two dudes with limited balance trying to throw haymakers while tugging each other jerseys.