• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

XFL’s impact on College Football

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This forum along with sports media has had some heated debates on the California Law, with other states following.

I’m surprised there isn’t at least equal buzz surrounding the XFL and the money they will be offering star college football players to play in their league sooner than the NFL’s 3 year waiting period on collegiate football players.

I heard Dan Patrick stating that the XFL is making a huge push to get Trevor Lawrence for $10 million a year after this season. And as we know, to enter the NFL draft Lawrence would have to play the 2020 season at Clemson.

Hang_On_Sloopy08

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No minor league sport has that kind of money or appeal.

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How is that going to make people watch?
By signing Trevor Lawrence?

They are taking the USFL approach this time around. Not saying it lasts, but they will get some players to leave their schools early, I would think.

rsw626

Ayatollah of Rock n Rolla
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,356.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A) I didn't know the XFL was still a thing so that should tell you pretty much everything.
B) The XFL is nothing more than a novelty sprung from Vince McMahon's ego.
C) The USFL already tried all that almost 40 years ago and failed.

Hang_On_Sloopy08

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By signing Trevor Lawrence?

They are taking the USFL approach this time around. Not saying it lasts, but they will get some players to leave their schools early, I would think.

Personally I don't think there's any market for this kind of product, it's been tried several times before and always crashes and burns. It's a fringe sport per se, no history, no compelling reasons to watch other than a couple decent players playing for teams that will resemble arena football. Just don't see this panning out. They can throw big money at some top tier players, the rest will be paid a meager salary. It will crash and burn in less than 3 years.

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally I don't think there's any market for this kind of product, it's been tried several times before and always crashes and burns. It's a fringe sport per se, no history, no compelling reasons to watch other than a couple decent players playing for teams that will resemble arena football. Just don't see this panning out. They can throw big money at some top tier players, the rest will be paid a meager salary. It will crash and burn in less than 3 years.
I agree.

But I believe while the XFL is around, there are kids that are going to take the immediate money that the XFL is offering.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 141,750.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t think it will be a blip on the radar to college football.

Myles

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A) I didn't know the XFL was still a thing so that should tell you pretty much everything.
B) The XFL is nothing more than a novelty sprung from Vince McMahon's ego.
C) The USFL already tried all that almost 40 years ago and failed.

The USFL was very successful until Trump fucked it up.

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is one article I read. I think it’s something to talk about. Vince doesn’t like to fail. His first attempt at football was an abomination. He’s refined it.

With all these Freshman quarterback superstars coming in... Tua, Lawrence, Manziel. I could definitely see some of them going to get paid a few million for two or three years and then jumping to the NFL.

Fans often love college football more than the actual players. Then you add a few million for a couple years.

I think anyone who denies that this won’t be a thing is thinking of the “He hate me” XFL. This won’t be the same.

Here's How The XFL Could Have A Huge Impact On The Future Of College Football

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still have my USFL football cards.

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would we rather see cfb players taking endorsement money until their three years are up, or cfb players playing a year and then playing for the McMahon brand for a couple years?

Vince is a businessman. He might be on to something.

A pro football circuit that models a minor league organization, where young superstars are getting paid big money.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you're correct but if it doesn't work so be it. I'm not going to stand in the way of some kid getting paid and honestly college football might very well be better off without some of the players they would scoop up anyway. Let the XFL be a one and done league and keep CFB from becoming more like basketball.

I'm more worried about companies like Nike, Adidas and UnderArmor starting bidding wars for players and trying to put together "super" teams that wear their brand. That type of thing will kill CFB as we know it.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would we rather see cfb players taking endorsement money until their three years are up, or cfb players playing a year and then playing for the McMahon brand for a couple years?

Vince is a businessman. He might be on to something.

A pro football circuit that models a minor league organization, where young superstars are getting paid big money.
Let them play in another league...then it isn't the CFB fan's problem.

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vince stated that player’s with a criminal record or breaking the law will not be allowed to play in the XFL.

A far cry from “He Hate Me” XFL

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let them play in another league...then it isn't the CFB fan's problem.
I see it as a much better option than the Cali laws.

And I agree with the type of guy that goes to the XFL. It wouldn’t be your Tebow, Mariota, Tua type but rather the Johnny Footballs of the cfb world. “I can’t hear you, there’s too much money in my hand”