• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

WVU's Juwan Staten named Big 12 preseason Player of the Year

CoolBeans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WVU's Juwan Staten named Big 12 preseason Player of the Year

By Matt Norlander | College Basketball Writer

October 2, 2014 1:23 pm ET
statenbig12poy_cbssports.jpg

Juwan Staten led the Big 12 in scoring last season. (USATSI)

Well, we know college basketball's regular season is now at least faintly viewable on that distant horizon. We know this because we've been gifted the first preseason all-league team/player of the year from a major conference. That conference is the Big 12. And to those who might be sleeping on one of the best players in the country, well now you'll know the name: Juwan Staten. The West Virginia guard has been exceedingly good (he led the league in scoring last year, putting up 18.1 per game, in addition to being second in assists), but problem is, WVU hasn't been nationally relevant for two years, going 30-35 and failing to make the NCAA Tournament.

That won't be the expectation this season, not with Staten tabbed as the Big 12 POY. The award was voted on by league coaches, with the natural stipulation of coaches not being allowed to pick one of their own players.
The Big 12 preseason all-league team:
-- Staten (West Virginia)
-- Perry Ellis (Kansas)
-- Marcus Foster (Kansas State)
-- Buddy Hield (Oklahoma)
-- Georges Niang (Iowa State)

Elsewhere:
-- In a rare case of a league tie, Kansas' Cliff Alexander and Texas' Myles Turner were both voted as Big 12 Freshman of the Year.
-- Transfer-savvy Iowa State rightfully gets the nod for Newcomer of the Year, as former UNLV player/grad transfer Bryce Dejean-Jones was the pick.

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
THIS IS SPARTA!!!!! I mean this is football season....lol :pound:

CoolBeans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DC,

A Pre-Season Player of the Year in the Big 12.....

Deserves a mention.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really hope the basketball team can right the ship this year, the way WVU was doing in the last few years of the best league ever to play college roundball, I figured at worst we would come into the B12 and be one of the top teams in the league. I thought it would be WVU-Kansas for the league title most years!!!

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really hope the basketball team can right the ship this year, the way WVU was doing in the last few years of the best league ever to play college roundball, I figured at worst we would come into the B12 and be one of the top teams in the league. I thought it would be WVU-Kansas for the league title most years!!!

So tell me DAD...is it not Huggins fault for what's happened with men's program over the last 4 years...or is this some kind of 7 degrees to Kevin Bacon scenario's that leads back to this being Dana's doing??

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah on the back page :suds::lol:

Is it just me??...I never really understood these preseason awards for basically getting more cudo's for last years results??..:wtf2:

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it just me??...I never really understood these preseason awards for basically getting more cudo's for last years results??..:wtf2:

Preseason stuff is a lot of what is wrong with todays game, but at least in basketball they don't count on arbitrary ranking to determine their champion.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess we should all start asking BB/DC/Slaton/Mad what we are allowed to post, I am really starting to wonder if these four screen names are really one person with four personalities, if your thoughts or opinions differ from his/theirs you will be attacked, ridiculed, belittled, called troll, Debbie downer, etc.

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess we should all start asking BB/DC/Slaton/Mad what we are allowed to post, I am really starting to wonder if these four screen names are really one person with four personalities, if your thoughts or opinions differ from his/theirs you will be attacked, ridiculed, belittled, called troll, Debbie downer, etc.

It's a conspiracy for sure!!!....:wave:

mad2mc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a conspiracy for sure!!!....:wave:

Was it Slaton who actually posted this or was it one of the other three? Hmmmm......only the Admins know.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Preseason stuff is a lot of what is wrong with todays game, but at least in basketball they don't count on arbitrary ranking to determine their champion.
I agree 100% that preseason polls are horrible in football, where there is no champion, only a popularity contest, but in all other sports, where there is a true champion decided by play on the field, court, diamond, pitch, range, or arena, I have no problem at all with preseason hype of any kind, as it is what it should be, a topic for discussion.

mad2mc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
THIS IS SPARTA!!!!! I mean this is football season....lol :pound:

See what you started by making a little joke. There is not time for joking on this board. Get a hold of yourself, Man.

mad2mc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I thought that the reason for these boards was to post items and if somebody didn't agree with you, then you they would say so. Then each side would provide information to support or refute the topic at hand. If everybody agrees, then so be it.

Also, I thought being called a Debbie Downer or a troll was similar to be compared to having your head buried in the sand or not being a true Mountaineer. Now I don't want to get into finger pointing, but we have a situation where the saying 'Pot meet kettle' applies.

You may be onto something. I've never seen BB and Slaton or DC in the same place. Then again, I never met these guys before, unless we passed each other on campus (more likely a bar) while we were attending WVU. I guess we are being called Cyber Bullies.

mad2mc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree 100% that preseason polls are horrible in football, where there is no champion, only a popularity contest, but in all other sports, where there is a true champion decided by play on the field, court, diamond, pitch, range, or arena, I have no problem at all with preseason hype of any kind, as it is what it should be, a topic for discussion.

Isn't this what DC was saying or am I missing something? Is this more of speaking with a forked tongue? Just sayin'.

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guess these boards have no room for humor...I am taking my ball and going home!:smash:

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Isn't this what DC was saying or am I missing something? Is this more of speaking with a forked tongue? Just sayin'.

The op was about basketball, dc said preseason hype had ruined the sport.....

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
See what you started by making a little joke. There is not time for joking on this board. Get a hold of yourself, Man.

Apparently, some are allowed humor and others are not, the quartet seems to have a little different idea of humor.

mad2mc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The op was about basketball, dc said preseason hype had ruined the sport.....

Let me use one of your lines - "Go back and read his post".

Are you twisting words (again) or speaking with forked tongue, Kimosabi? If I understand DC, he feels that Preseason accolades are what is wrong with the game but they are not used to determine a champion. Where is he stating that it is ruining the game?