• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

WVU's Dana Holgorsen: 'You lie in recruiting a bunch'

wvu_man

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dana Holgorsen is being very honest about recruiting when he says that a big part of recruiting is ... lying.

When speaking to the media on Monday the West Virginia coach didn't feel the need to sugarcoat what goes into the recruiting process.

"I know you lie in recruiting a bunch, and that's just part of it," said Holgorsen when talking to the media Monday. "What are we actually doing? What are we actually feeding these guys? Our job is to get guys on campus. Once they're on campus, our players do a lot of recruiting. They spend a lot of time with the recruits, and I encourage them to tell the truth about what we give them and how we treat them."

Now, whether or not Holgorsen should be this open about the process, I don't know, but it's the truth. A coach is going to tell a player whatever they need to in order to get that player to come to their school.

So, you know, if you're a high school football player being recruited right now, or any time in the future, just remind yourself that at least 50 percent of what you're being told is likely crap. Just pick the school you want to go to based on your own personal reasons, not what the coach is telling you.

And uniforms. Don't forget to pick your school based on how awesome the uniform looks.

We all know this is true but did he have to come out and say it? I guess you could look at both ways...yes, he's being honest but saying that currently lies or has lied to recruits does not make WVU look good. :scratch: :wtf2:

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He could have just lied about lying to recruits.

Is this the best way to get your name in the national media?

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We all know this is true but did he have to come out and say it? I guess you could look at both ways...yes, he's being honest but saying that currently lies or has lied to recruits does not make WVU look good. :scratch: :wtf2:

Maybe that is why Huggins cant keep kids on the team, perhaps he tells too many lies to recruits.......

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really sure what you have to lie about? You're selling the school. The school usually speaks for itself, amirite? With that being said, every coach does it.....

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brilliant move imo, kids these days can smell BS from a mile away. Holgorsen makes no bones about what goes on in the recruiting game and I think kids will respect the honesty.

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I am sure this is out of context...or he didn't fully make his point...could be about anything...like getting into the classes you want, preffered housing...playing time...who knows where he was going with it..

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am sure this is out of context...or he didn't fully make his point...could be about anything...like getting into the classes you want, preffered housing...playing time...who knows where he was going with it..

The apologists never stop :doh:. He said it, here is the quote:

"I know you lie in recruiting a bunch, and that's just part of it," said Holgorsen when talking to the media Monday. "What are we actually doing? What are we actually feeding these guys? Our job is to get guys on campus. Once they're on campus, our players do a lot of recruiting. They spend a lot of time with the recruits, and I encourage them to tell the truth about what we give them and how we treat them."

Read it, it says the coaches lie to the kids to get them to visit, and hope the existing players complete the sale by telling how good they have it.:pb:

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yesterday, during Dana Holgorsen's twice-weekly press conference, he was asked about how the NCAA's new regulations on unlimited meals and snacks would affect recruiting. He said, in short, that some schools will use it to their advantage.

The Charleston Daily Mail's Mike Casazza, who has a good story today on the actual topic, asked this follow up question: "Your hands are full right now, but is there time you have to set aside to say, 'When we pitch [to recruits], here's how we pitch it,' or is that down the road still?"

Holgorsen's reply: "It’s more about what reality is. You lie in recruiting a bunch, that's just kind of part of it. You become a salesman. But what are we actually doing? How much are we actually feeding our guys? What are we actually giving our guys? Our job is to get kids on campus, and while they're on campus our kids do a lot of recruiting. They spend a lot of time with the players. I encourage recruits to ask a lot of questions about how we really are, about how it really is here. We encourage that. So the players aren't going to lie to them. Whatever we’re able to do for them, administratively, that will either work to our advantage or our disadvantage."

I was not at the press conference but was watching on a live stream. The start of Holgorsen's quote actually made me laugh. It was a funny, off-the-cuff throwaway remark. So, I tweeted it, not thinking it would gain any major attention.

The source of this story…. or non-story… wasn't even at the presser.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously, anyone being critical of Dana about this… has not read the entire presser… nor heard it.

To take his comments out of context is unfair. But, what should we expect from the Dana bashers…

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dana was obviously trying to be funny with the media gathered at his presser. As it was stated, not a single member of the press felt it necessary to follow up with a more direct inquiry into the statement.

This is one of the biggest over reactions I have seen in recent times…

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dana was obviously trying to be funny with the media gathered at his presser. As it was stated, not a single member of the press felt it necessary to follow up with a more direct inquiry into the statement.

This is one of the biggest over reactions I have seen in recent times…

What does the fact that they post over and over say about the Holgorsen lovers? He said it, period, and he will have to live with it. How many times does the press follow up with anything? Your man crush stuck his foot in his mouth, BB, whether he was joking or not, words on a printed page do not show intent or emotion.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah… Dana will have to live with it.

It was a big hit for about 24 hrs. And, now it has been put to rest.

That is how a big deal it was.

The bashers will have to move on…

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What does the fact that they post over and over say about the Holgorsen lovers? He said it, period, and he will have to live with it. How many times does the press follow up with anything? Your man crush stuck his foot in his mouth, BB, whether he was joking or not, words on a printed page do not show intent or emotion.

The topic was about unlimited meals for goodness sakes!..It sounded like he was making a joke about it!..give the guy a friggin break!:omg:

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah this is going to kill the program, end is near, turn this place into a parking lot

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah… Dana will have to live with it.

It was a big hit for about 24 hrs. And, now it has been put to rest.

That is how a big deal it was.

The bashers will have to move on…

Looks to me like it is the apologists who keep running on about it.............

Grue

Member's Only Jacket
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks to me like it is the apologists who keep running on about it.............

Impartial observer perspective, it struck me as a "Just kidding... not really" tone.

I agree this story will have a short shelf life.

Last edited by a moderator:

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Impartial observer perspective, it struck me as a "Just kidding... not really" tone.

I agree this story will have a short shelf life.

But, Dana will have to live with this for the rest of his life. Too funny...

Last edited by a moderator:

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My how quickly we went from "everyone does it so it is ok" to "it was taken out of context" to "he was joking" to attacking fellow posters.