• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

WVU to play Tennessee?

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do not see how WVU would be in it anyway, with a committee picking the teams, name will be even more important than ever! They would likely pick two loss SEC teams, OSU, a three loss ND or UM over a one loss WVU anyway. MAYBE even over an undefeated WVU team.:gaah:

:L.......it's a playoff system brother!..:wtf2:

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:L.......it's a playoff system brother!..:wtf2:

It is a playoff in name only, the teams are chosen by a committee!!!!!! No conference championship prerequisites, no poll tie ins, just a bunch of guys with their own agendas picking four teams. If they wanted a REAL champion, copy 1AA!!! Hell, they may just pick four SEC teams to insure they get their string going again!!

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would love to see home and home games with these teams from other leagues, I loved the series we had going with the SEC, Seeing Auburn, LSU, MSST, when other big teams like tOSU, even Purdue and Colorado. I would MUCH rather have the H-H than selling a home game for these pseudo away games. To open the season in a kickoff classic once in a while is one thing, to make it a yearly thing, not so much. It was exciting to see how the fans from these other teams reacted to the atmosphere on game day in Morgantown!

DBAR4WVU

Blue & Gold until I die
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think we need to lose any sleep over an 11-1 WVU team getting left out of the new and improved (not my opinion) playoff. At least not for the upcoming season. If this team goes 6-6 I will be happy and it might just keep DH around another year. 7-5 would be a triumph. 11-1 is the stuff of fantasy and wet dreams.

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would love to see home and home games with these teams from other leagues, I loved the series we had going with the SEC, Seeing Auburn, LSU, MSST, when other big teams like tOSU, even Purdue and Colorado. I would MUCH rather have the H-H than selling a home game for these pseudo away games. To open the season in a kickoff classic once in a while is one thing, to make it a yearly thing, not so much. It was exciting to see how the fans from these other teams reacted to the atmosphere on game day in Morgantown!

I'll take a nationally broadcast game anytime it is offered. Those help keep us relevant and in the minds of the fans and voters. I agree with having H-H games with teams from the big 5 conferences. I'd even take a game against an AAC team rather than a Div 1 cupcake. If we want a guaranteed win, schedule lower tier SEC or ACC teams. What I always say it to get the cupcakes off the schedule and play some real games. I'd even take Marshall over Southwestern Georgia State.

In reply to Dads comment about us getting shut out of the playoff. I don't think that would ever happen with Ollie on the committee.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll take a nationally broadcast game anytime it is offered. Those help keep us relevant and in the minds of the fans and voters. I agree with having H-H games with teams from the big 5 conferences. I'd even take a game against an AAC team rather than a Div 1 cupcake. If we want a guaranteed win, schedule lower tier SEC or ACC teams. What I always say it to get the cupcakes off the schedule and play some real games. I'd even take Marshall over Southwestern Georgia State.

In reply to Dads comment about us getting shut out of the playoff. I don't think that would ever happen with Ollie on the committee.

You give Luck WAY to much clout, he is but one member of the committee!! I doubt he would be able to swing people away from an Alabama, tOSU, UM, USCw, ND as well as WVU used to travel, every one of those schools, plus several others has better history, better name, and travels more fans.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is a playoff in name only, the teams are chosen by a committee!!!!!! No conference championship prerequisites, no poll tie ins, just a bunch of guys with their own agendas picking four teams. If they wanted a REAL champion, copy 1AA!!! Hell, they may just pick four SEC teams to insure they get their string going again!!

So your saying that if Wv is a one loss team and is the Big 12 champion and they are going to be left out of a playoff?......what are you smoking?

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So your saying that if Wv is a one loss team and is the Big 12 champion and they are going to be left out of a playoff?......what are you smoking?

What are YOU smoking? Alabama, WVU, Ohio State, ND, FSU all end up with one loss, WHO stays out? One loss OSU, Champion of the B12 was left out a couple years ago.......

DBAR4WVU

Blue & Gold until I die
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Real world scenario - Let's look at end of season this year.... here are your top teams:

FSU 13-0 CC (conf Champ)
Ohio St 12-1
Mich St 12-1 CC
Fresno St 11-1 CC
No. Ill 12-1
Mizzu 11-2
Auburn 12-1 CC
'Bama 11-1
Stanford 11-2
UCF 11-1
Louisville 11-1

If you were to add an imaginary 11-1 Big12 champ WVU to that mix, I see maybe 4 or 5 teams from this list we might get the nod over. That still leaves 6 or 7 that trump us, IMO.

There are only 4 slots....

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Real world scenario - Let's look at end of season this year.... here are your top teams:

FSU 13-0 CC (conf Champ)
Ohio St 12-1
Mich St 12-1 CC
Fresno St 11-1 CC
No. Ill 12-1
Mizzu 11-2
Auburn 12-1 CC
'Bama 11-1
Stanford 11-2
UCF 11-1
Louisville 11-1

If you were to add an imaginary 11-1 Big12 champ WVU to that mix, I see maybe 4 or 5 teams from this list we might get the nod over. That still leaves 6 or 7 that trump us, IMO.

It is never that simple....when, where, who you pick up that one loss matters. SOS matters now so who knows where we would end up.

Two loss teams go right from the start...Ville, UCF, Fresno St, and No Ill scratch them out..leaves 5 teams. 2 sets of teams from the same conf...Baylor from last year would have been one of the four. Bama already lost to Auburn and the timing would have kept them out, same with Ohio St losing when and as bad as they did would keep them out IMO

Best thing we can hope for is that is becomes the biggest pile of crap out there and they expand the playoff to 16.

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

FSU 13-0 CC (conf Champ)
Ohio St 12-1
Mich St 12-1 CC
Fresno St 11-1 CC
No. Ill 12-1
Mizzu 11-2
Auburn 12-1 CC
'Bama 11-1
Stanford 11-2
UCF 11-1
Louisville 11-1

We could still have come in at 4 depending on how bad the loss was which would not be much different than if we won a CCG. You will have to go undefeated to guarantee a playoff spot. I expect many one loss teams to be left out. It is easier to go undefeated if you have no CCG. Just ask Ohio State.

DBAR4WVU

Blue & Gold until I die
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the best case scenario is that this thing is perceived as a big piece of crap and they begin moving to 8, then 10, then 12 team playoffs. Yeah - even with play-in games you are looking at 3 weeks to a month, but if Div. 2 can it, I think the big boys can find a way. It's all about money and not upsetting the apple cart. A true playoff will diminish and probably, eventually kill the bowls. Lots of revenue will be destroyed - for the schools as well.

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think if they did it right they could use the same bowl games....I know there are a ton out there so here is my playoff bowl solution:

Early rounds hosted at regional bowl games for the higher seeds (run into problem with northern teams of course, but you still have domes midwest and pro stadiums) military bowl, pin stripe, etc etc.

next round move up the bowl chain as far as prestige (cotton, gator, peach) until finally the BCS bowls. We are only talking 15 games

After the first round is over fill these bowls as you normally would with teams left out of the 16 team playoff (assuming it ever gets there) then these bowls get double the money and can be part of the playoff.

You could also play first round games at higher seed home field, but that will be a arguement between the haves and how much money they will be after.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

FSU 13-0 CC (conf Champ)
Ohio St 12-1
Mich St 12-1 CC
Fresno St 11-1 CC
No. Ill 12-1
Mizzu 11-2
Auburn 12-1 CC
'Bama 11-1
Stanford 11-2
UCF 11-1
Louisville 11-1

To guess where an 11-1 WVU falls in this hypothetical, we need to know which team WVU lost to… this lets us know when and where it happened. Would also need to know how WVU lost… final score… production… OT?

DBAR4WVU

Blue & Gold until I die
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To guess where an 11-1 WVU falls in this hypothetical, we need to know which team WVU lost to… this lets us know when and where it happened. Would also need to know how WVU lost… final score… production… OT?

Since it is an imaginary scenario because WVU came nowhere close to 11-1 nor will they next year, you can imagine any scenario you like. Only loss was to W&M in week 1, or OK in week2. Or they went all way undefeated only to lose to Ia. St in the final. It's all speculative and based solely on your POV.
Whatever supports your argument.

IMO - WVU is nowhere near the upper tiers of CFB with ND, Ohio St, Mich/Mich St., FSU, Bama/AUB/LSU, etc. in the minds of CFB fans and talking heads - regardless of the ability of teams on the field. We will always fall short in a head-to-head comparison with the top teams. At least until we do something to make a statement that we have arrived. We have come close on a couple occassions, but so far - no cigar.

Doesn't make it right, but that's not what CFB is about. It is about image, opinion and past success with a healthy dose of winning thrown in. So as long as a panel of experts gets to pass judgement on the deserving, truly deserving teams will be slighted.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well… it makes a huge difference if WVU loses to a FCS school… or loses on the road to OU.

I agree with you that WVU is not on the same level as the elite schools you mentioned.

However, we only have to look back to 2012 to get a realistic perspective of the respect WVU has earned with voters…. talking heads… and sportswriters.

After beating Baylor and Texas, WVU rose to #4 in the USA Today Poll. They were ahead of a couple of elite teams in ND and UF. ND had beaten Mich St and UofM. UF had beaten A&M, Tenn, and a #4 LSU. If that glimpse into the past doesn't illustrate respect… then I don't know what respect is.

We had media interviewing Geno… promoting him for Heisman. Dana was still a genius…

We can also go back to 2007. Heading into the Backyard Brawl, WVU was #1 in the USA Today Poll. The top 1-loss team in all the land. They earned that lofty ranking by beating 1 ranked team… Cincy… heading into the final game.

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From WVU media box: According to information provided in the handout, the historical average team payout of $4.3 million for the Chick-fil-A Kickoff Game is higher than more than 20 bowl games.