• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

WVU really won that game...

occupant

Resident Inhabitant and nerve striker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,345.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...on paper.

Posted: Tuesday, October 6, 2015 7:15 pm

by Bob Hertzel For The Exponent Telegram

MORGANTOWN — Tony Gibson, West Virginia’s defensive coordinator, certainly is not in a state of denial.

He knows Oklahoma beat the Mountaineers, 44-24, last Saturday.

Gibson just wonders if the world understands just how misleading everything is about the game.

No, he’s not saying WVU should have won. He’s not saying WVU played particularly well, but he offers this challenge.

“If you took the final score off the stat sheet and showed it to me after the game, I’d say we won by two or three touchdowns,” Gibson said.

He ran over some of the statistics.

• WVU had 27 first downs, Oklahoma 16

• WVU had 196 rushing yards, Oklahoma 107

• WVU held Oklahoma to just 2 for 11 on third down

• WVU had four sacks, six tackles for losses and took away two turnovers.

• WVU had a time of possession edge of 33:11-26:49

• Oklahoma completed only 14 passes

It does seem one-sided, right up until you look at the passing yardage on those 14 completions — 320 yards.

That was the killer — and because of it, cornerbacks Daryl Worley and Terrell Chestnut are taking a lot of heat.

Gibson isn’t sure the blame isn’t being overdone.

“Everyone wants to say the DBs, they are down on them,” Gibson said. The talk is out there, media and fans, but it could be a lack of a pass rush or the linebackers not getting back in coverage. It’s not always the DBs.”

Certainly, it was team breakdown, although Oklahoma’s wide receivers made some spectacular plays to break free. The 71-yard completion that broke WVU’s second half momentum and changed the game was a pass from Baker Mayfield to Durron Neal on a fake screen and go that burned Worley.

And then there was a move by Sterling Shepard on a slant and go that almost defied description, beating Chestnut.

“I give Shepard all the credit in the world on that slant and go. There’s not many people in the world who can run that, not in this league. To make that cut and gain ground on the next stride, that’s Tyler Lockett kind of stuff,” WVU cornerback coach Brian Mitchell said.

“I had to slow it down. I’ve never seen a guy run a route like that,” Mitchell added. “Do that at full speed and not tear an ACL? It goes back to it’s Oklahoma. They have talent.”

“Deion Sanders couldn’t have covered that,” WVU wide receiver coach Lonnie Galloway said.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When you run that high risk/high reward defense you run the risk of being beat for huge plays, and gambling the other team won't be able to do that. That's exactly what happened. Oklahoma had to make them pay dearly for that and they did with touchdowns repeatedly. Oklahoma out executed them, and made better adjustments. That's all there is to it.

CoolBeans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We (WVU) plain got outplayed. Our weak early season schedule came back to bite us in the butt so to speak.