• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

WVU one of most improved of 2014

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WOO HOO, we kicked some field goals this year that we missed last year, GREAT coaching there..... slurp slurp

I couldn't agree with you more DAD! Happy to see you on the bandwagon!

All of this success against the most difficult schedule in the history of WVU football!!

Job well done Dana!!

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many fans make excuses for their teams winning lol

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many fans make excuses for their teams winning lol

Ohh… that's what DAD was doing?

Shucks… I thought he was celebrating the great coaching performance of his new man love.

I know he celebrated the great last second FG win over Pitt when his former lover was the HC.

Pittsburgh Panthers vs. West Virginia Mountaineers - Recap - November 27, 2009 - ESPN

Of course he was probably in bipolar mode in the '08 Cincy game… a late FG sent the game in OT… however, if the great HC known as Bill Stewart had taken the points in regulation… WVU would have won… instead of turning the ball over on downs twice inside the Cincy 10 yd line. Then there was the country's worst KO coverage team lead by its HC who doubled as ST coordinator… being victimized again in that game.

Ohh… the memories..

Cincinnati Bearcats vs. West Virginia Mountaineers - Recap - November 08, 2008 - ESPN

What about the rematch with Cincy in '09? Remember when Stewart elected to go for a 4th down TD pass in the end zone instead of getting the FG in the 4th qtr of the game? Then WVU went on to lose by a FG? Hasn't DAD been really critical of Dana not taking the points, questions why he goes for it on 4th down as often as he does…

West Virginia Mountaineers vs. Cincinnati Bearcats - Recap - November 13, 2009 - ESPN

Of course… who could forget the celebration I'm sure he felt on the game winning FG in OT to beat Marshall on the road in what could have been one of the biggest upsets in the history of WVU football…

West Virginia Mountaineers vs. Marshall Thundering Herd - Recap - September 10, 2010 - ESPN

Yeah… FG's… a sign of great coaching for sure…:lol:

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The lengths some will go to in a lame attempt to prove opinions wrong.....

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DAD….

Not trying to prove anything but what a hypocrite you are…

It has nothing to do with an opinion… surely you understand this…

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Going from 4-8 to 7-5 with two of the wins by last second field goals is NOT great improvement. The defense was vastly improved from last year, the offense and STs not so much. I just don't get the blind adoration for Holgorsen, and even more confusing is the complete hatred and disregard for anything prior.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK… if you don't think the WVU team made great improvement, what more could have been done in your opinion.

You love the choice of Dana putting Gibby in charge of the defense. You love Dana's hire of Bradley.

You love the fact that Dana recruited Kevin White and Josh Lambert. You love the fact that White was a Biletnikoff Award finalist, and that Dana now has 2 guys in the last 3 years earn this distinction. You love that Josh was a Lou Groza Award finalist. But, you don't love the offense and ST's enough?

Last year, WVU's offense finished ranked #63 in Total Offense averaging 411 yds/gm, and #79 in scoring offense averaging 26 pt/gm.

This year, WVU's offense currently has the #11 ranking in Total Offense averaging 502 yds/gm, and is #39 in scoring offense averaging 33 pt/gm.

That is almost 100 yds more game while scoring 7 points more per game than last season. Jumping 52 spots in total offense and 40 spots in scoring offense.

What more could they have done to earn more of your love?

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Going from 4-8 to 7-5 with two of the wins by last second field goals is NOT great improvement. The defense was vastly improved from last year, the offense and STs not so much. I just don't get the blind adoration for Holgorsen, and even more confusing is the complete hatred and disregard for anything prior.

Just considering wins and losses. Obviously… TCU took things to the next level.

But, you were quite outspoken about losses to KU and ISU last year. You were also very outspoken about the team quitting… Dana losing the team late in the season…

You hated the embarrassing blow out losses to Maryland and Baylor. You hated how the team blew late leads in losses to TT, Texas and ISU…

You have repeatedly stated that WVU was actually closer to winning only 2 games last year, and that the season was actually much worse than the 4-8 record.

But, now you don't seem to be happy with the 7-5 record and acknowledge what a great turn around this team made.

This team that went toe to toe with Bama. That lost on a last second FG to the #6 team in the country. That totally dominated the #5 team in the country… beating them by 14 points. This team that gave KSU… the #12 team in the country… one too many TO's and a ST gaffe when the punter kicked away from coverage… yet the team only lost by 6 points with a QB trying to play with a concussion…

What more would have allowed you to love them more?

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They kept up the habit of turning the ball over, even took it to New levels. You point at yards of offense, fair enough, but what good are yards when you turn it over once in the red zone? You point to a good field goal kicker as proof of special team improvement, never mind the horrible kick coverage that gives up tds way too often. As I have said before, I do not see Holgorsen developing players, we have some defensive coaches now who look to be able to coach players up, teach them the game. Yes white is a talented receiver, but is he better now than at the beginning of the year? Why was white rendered ineffective in several games? Why was he not coached on how to get open? If Holgorsen is so great, where was our backup QB when Trickett was not getting it done?

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They kept up the habit of turning the ball over, even took it to New levels. You point at yards of offense, fair enough, but what good are yards when you turn it over once in the red zone? You point to a good field goal kicker as proof of special team improvement, never mind the horrible kick coverage that gives up tds way too often. As I have said before, I do not see Holgorsen developing players, we have some defensive coaches now who look to be able to coach players up, teach them the game. Yes white is a talented receiver, but is he better now than at the beginning of the year? Why was white rendered ineffective in several games? Why was he not coached on how to get open? If Holgorsen is so great, where was our backup QB when Trickett was not getting it done?

But, didn't you feel Bill Stewart and Jeff Mullen were great coaches, and the offense WVU ran under them was great? Didn't they have problems with TO's? Didn't they lose games to less talented teams in SU and UConn due to TO's? The teams WVU lost to this year, were better talented teams… right?

Didn't you think WVU had a great ST coach in Bill Stewart, yet WVU was the bottom ranked team in KO coverage in FBS… right?

You don't see Dana developing players… he simply had the Biletnikoff winner 2 of the last 3 years. This year, Kevin White's numbers improved from 35 receptions in '13 to 102 receptions in '14. Receiving yds went from 507 to 1318, and TD's went from 5 to 9. I know… you think it was just White's skill set…

Mario Alford… another WR who you don't think was developed… saw his numbers go from 27 receptions in '13 to 62 receptions in '14. His receiving yds went from 552 to 888. And, TD's took a huge jump from 2 in '13 to 10 in '14! Just his skill set…

No sign of development there…

I guess you missed the memo… White was hurt with a bum ankle at season's end.

Not sure about your point regarding Clint's backup. Looks like Dana did a great job bringing Skyler along. A kid who was absolutely lost last spring, had picked up the offense well enough to move to backup and lead WVU to a great road win in the season finale.

Speaking of Clint… his improvement numbers were off the chart between last year and this year… isn't that a sign of development too?

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DAD, I asked what would have made a difference for you… what more could WVU have done for you to say they made great improvement. All you got is red zone scoring?

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You feel Dana's defense made great improvement. I think everybody would agree with that.

In 2013 WVU was #102 in Total Defense giving up 454 yd/gm and had the #99 scoring giving up 33 pt/gm. In 2014, WVU currently sits at #60 in Total Defense giving up 389 yd/gm and #61 in Scoring Defense at 26 pt/gm.

That is an improvement of 42 places in total defense and 65 yd/gm. Scoring improved 7 pt/gm, and their ranking improved 39 spots.

You said Dana's defense showed great improvement from last year. But, it looks like the improvement was basically the same on both sides of the ball.

Offense improved 52 spots in total offense and 40 spots in scoring. Defense improved 42 spots in total defense and 38 spots in scoring.

Some might say the offense's numbers show stronger improvement… right?

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DAD, I asked what would have made a difference for you… what more could WVU have done for you to say they made great improvement. All you got is red zone scoring?

Where to start with that, number one is to see marked improvement in play as the season goes on, two would be when you have a team on the ropes, don't piss it away, three special teams................four turnovers, I heard how easy it was to coach out fumbles a few years ago, now we have a stable of pretty good backs, NONE of which can seem to hold the ball in critical times. I was pleased with the defense this year, and the offense looked great at times, but again the team lacked a fire in their belly down the stretch, at least we beat our great new rivals Kansas and IAST this year......

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where to start with that, number one is to see marked improvement in play as the season goes on, two would be when you have a team on the ropes, don't piss it away, three special teams................four turnovers, I heard how easy it was to coach out fumbles a few years ago, now we have a stable of pretty good backs, NONE of which can seem to hold the ball in critical times. I was pleased with the defense this year, and the offense looked great at times, but again the team lacked a fire in their belly down the stretch, at least we beat our great new rivals Kansas and IAST this year......

1. How would you measure marked improvement as the season goes on? Usually… the schedule gets harder as the season goes on… so, you only value what you see at season's end… instead of the whole picture?

2. Didn't WVU finish the job better this year than last, how many games did it piss away when it had a team on the ropes? Wouldn't that be a sign of improvement over last year?

Won't argue with you about the lack of fire in the belly… everyone is entitled to their opinion. I think one could point to the Texas game and make such a comment for the first half regarding the entire team… not just the offense. But, I have no idea how anyone could say that about any of the other games down the stretch… that is just me…

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's hard to measure, there is more to it than numbers can show. Chemistry and heart can't be measured by yards and points. Look at Ohio state this year, down to their third string QB, and they destroyed one of the best teams on the schedule by a 59 point shutout, after that fiasco against VPI, THAT is getting better. You and I will never see eye to eye on this, I do not see much good from Holgorsen, and you don't see any fault in him, I think much of the improvement this year was brought by Bradley, you think Holgorsen learned defense over last summer. That is just how it is, what two different people see is different, one reason that any cop will tell you how unreliable that eye witnesses are.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not surprised you wouldn't have a measurable stat for us to digest. Just your feeling... too funny.

BTW... do you want a comparison of red zone conversion under Dana compared to Bill Stewart's era? Just to let you know... WVU finished #105 his last year as HC at 75%. Of course, that is an improvement from his first year when he had Pat White as his QB. They finished #115 in '08 at 70%.

Under Dana this year they finished the regular season ranked #81 at 80%. Last year they finished #79 at 80%.

I think everyone can see what a hypocrite you are by now. My job is done here...

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not surprised you wouldn't have a measurable stat for us to digest. Just your feeling... too funny.

BTW... do you want a comparison of red zone conversion under Dana compared to Bill Stewart's era? Just to let you know... WVU finished #105 his last year as HC at 75%. Of course, that is an improvement from his first year when he had Pat White as his QB. They finished #115 in '08 at 70%.

Under Dana this year they finished the regular season ranked #81 at 80%. Last year they finished #79 at 80%.

I think everyone can see what a hypocrite you are by now. My job is done here...

College football is based more on "gut feeling" and name than anything else, you pour through the internet looking for stats that show your side, tell us of W-L records, tell us some defensive stats, no hypocrite here or with you, we have differing ideas of what makes a good coach or a good football team. I like defense, you like offense, I see a coach in over his head who was bailed out by Luck hiring Bradley to coach the coaches, you see an up and comer. I can have discussion, you call names. The very same discussion we have had 1000 times, you can not let it go. Anyone says anything you dont agree with, you will post 10 times to yourself in response to something that no one else posted on for a week.........