• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

WVU a loser in realignment?

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean really are people traveling from Ames to Waco?...or from Dallas to Lubbuck? Or Norman to Lawrence or Manhattan?
Yeah some do...hell at game day in Norman about the only time opposing fans didn't show up in good numbers was for Colorado and ISU (and K-State before Bill Snyder). One year I thought half the state of Missouri was parked on the east side of Memorial Stadium. And the Nebraska game? You bet there were NU fans there just like OU fans showed up in Lincoln...

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's 430 miles from Morgantown to Raleigh, the waypoint lets say for the heart of the ACC...and from Morgantown to say Syracuse is 432 miles
That's not that far for out here in the west, towns are not as closely packed out here as back east. Hell where I'm at in SW Kansas it's 400 miles to either Denver, KC or Dallas. Yet people drive to them everyday. :noidea:

Mac_Bridger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's not that far for out here in the west, towns are not as closely packed out here as back east. Hell where I'm at in SW Kansas it's 400 miles to either Denver, KC or Dallas. Yet people drive to them everyday. :noidea:
Yes, landscape is dramatically different. In WV we have this joke that distance is not measured in miles, but in time. And in WV it is very true. I grew up in a spot that was about 20 miles from Morgantown, Fairmoint, and Grafton. However, Morgantown is a 20 minute drive, Fairmont 30 and Grafton a whopping 75. So if you ask one of us how far it is, expect hours and minutes. :)

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But that's my point..even though fans say we can't drive to games anymore..they were not doing it before!..Wv would show up in Pittsburgh, Cinncy to some degree and Va Tech when there were in the BE...so in my minds eye the fans that are committed to traveling with the the team could care less where they have to get to. Raleigh or Austin? it makes no difference.

CoolBeans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sorry, but the biggest loser has to be UConn... Hands down. They went from a BCS conference that was hands down #1 in basketball to a "also ran" football conference and an RPI eating conference with a few good teams and a few terrible teams and no average teams.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How in the world can WV be a loser in this??...they will exceed 120 million in their athletic budget this year putting them in the upper echelon of college sports programs...they have a brand new basketball facility and if I am not mistaken a brand new baseball stadium, a new team meeting room...and that does not even scratch the surface of the R&D collaboration it has in place with Texas, OU, and Iowa State...its just not all about wins an losses on a football field....short sighted article to say the least.......
As I look through the almanacs, record books, bowl results, season recaps, I see wins, losses, yards gained, passes completed, TDs, etc, I do not see any mention of profit...... wins and losses count for more than anything else in sports.

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I look through the almanacs, record books, bowl results, season recaps, I see wins, losses, yards gained, passes completed, TDs, etc, I do not see any mention of profit...... wins and losses count for more than anything else in sports.

LOL!...umm..it really doesn't!......And I don't think in ANY of my posts I have ever used the word profit..not once!..Its about having the funds avialable for sustainability...Its about having the funds to continue to have available for continued improvement....Trust me..if the Athletic Budget remained the same as it was while in the BE...The school would be using duct tape, chewing gum and chicken wire to MAINTAIN what they have...