• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

WVU a loser in realignment?

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trove: News Powered by You

Stewart Mandel wrote an article on the 5 year anniversary of conference realignment.

Biggest winners, losers five years after realignment hell broke loose | FOX Sports

He listed WVU among the top losers in realignment.

I like Ubben's response. He acknowledges WVU was saved from the AAC by moving to the Big 12. But, he recognizes the impact the move has made in terms of on-the-field success.

I agree with him, a move to the ACC would have been a better fit geographically… and, there is no doubt WVU would have found competition at a level very similar to the Big East. Therefore, WVU fans would be happier with better W/L records in the ACC than what we've seen in the Big 12.

As I've said on here many times, I love WVU in the Big 12. The geography means nothing to me. There is an energy level for home conference games that has been seriously missing for years. WVU was close last year. 3 years is too soon to establish WVU as losers.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tough to call anyone that wound up in a P5 conference a loser with all the money being dished out in all of them.

I think you could make a case for Nebraska just as easily as WVU. Everyone got richer but a lot of tradition got.... Well put on the back burner at least.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nebraska has yet to have a losing record in the B1G. Nebraska played in the B1G CCG in 2012. WVU cannot claim the same thing.

Colorado is never mentioned in realignment talk. They were not competitive in the Big 12 prior to leaving. They certainly haven't been competitive in the Pac 12 since arriving.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the biggest loss that WVU suffered was image. We all understand the reasons now (TV contracts and markets ect.) but at the time it just looked like EVERY conference in our region wanted nothing to do with us after having so much success during the BCS era. I think we get it now but at the time it was a tough pill to swallow. I mean if you were raiding the BigEast the first programs to come to mind as a fan were Pitt,SU,Rutgers, Louisville ?Even Maryland from the ACC (all opponents of WVU)? Stupid from a fan standpoint IMO.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From a competition POV, there is no doubt WVU has struggled since joining the Big 12. The first year, there were high expectations as WVU had set new bowl records in crushing Clemson. Unfortunately, the 2012 team was left with offensive stars, but no defense.

When you compare WVU's success... W/L record in the BE... to that of the Big 12... WVU is a loser. But, it has only been 3 years. And, I felt WVU was really close last year to being special.

After VT and Miami left the BE, WVU had one of... if not the best... recruiting classes each season. Much easier to compete against conference opponents who have the same or worse talent than you have every year.

Since joining the Big 12, WVU has finished no higher than 4th best in recruiting.

Yet we have fans expecting WVU to win Big 12 and National Championships....

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The biggest loser was the Big East, they are gone. Now, they are the AAC and they lost/sold the name Big East to the basketball conference.

The ACC panty raided the Big East all the time, taking their teams.

Then, I agree, Colorado is pretty much going the way of the New Mexico schools. They have to find the right coach to get it turned around, that will be a hard sell now.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From a competition POV, there is no doubt WVU has struggled since joining the Big 12. The first year, there were high expectations as WVU had set new bowl records in crushing Clemson. Unfortunately, the 2012 team was left with offensive stars, but no defense.

When you compare WVU's success... W/L record in the BE... to that of the Big 12... WVU is a loser. But, it has only been 3 years. And, I felt WVU was really close last year to being special.

After VT and Miami left the BE, WVU had one of... if not the best... recruiting classes each season. Much easier to compete against conference opponents who have the same or worse talent than you have every year.

Since joining the Big 12, WVU has finished no higher than 4th best in recruiting.

Yet we have fans expecting WVU to win Big 12 and National Championships....

:noidea: Why not expect to win at least conference championships right now? OU and Texas are down, Baylor has been a doormat until recently and TCU came from arguably a softer conference than we did. Maybe a better coach would have us on top by now :noidea:

Last edited:

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Until last year, TCU and WVU were equal losers.

TCU has had the defensive player of the year in the conference how many times? Their defense has been really good to great each year they've been in the Big 12.

What happened last year that pushed TCU ahead?

Did Gary Patterson learn how to coach all of a sudden?

I won't go into this season thinking WVU can compete for the conference championship. That might change in the future.

But, how many expected TCU to compete for a championship last year?

If a WVU fan expects WVU to compete for championships bringing in recruiting classes ranked in the mid-30's, I guess it matches the Mountaineer mentality. People from WV always bragging about what a great state WV is… hard working folk. Yet… it is riddled with obesity… mental disease…. drug addiction… and overall… one of the lowest rated states in terms of education… and health… in America.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why shouldn't WVU expect at least a run at the conference right now? TCU has won it (well, at least half I guess) and KState has been a contender, have they been in the top 4 in recruiting?
We may well make a run this year, that's not being homeristic I just think the competition is close enough right now that with a little luck (which TCU had plenty of last year) and some great coaching (Big 12 demands your coach to be sound) then it's not unreasonable at all now that the two blue bloods are not at full song.

I think maybe the question is would a better coach have us in contention already. I know this, the clock is most definitely ticking with Dana, it's HIS team HIS recruits and players.If the team continues to make the mistakes that it has (I agree with you, I think we WERE close to having a special year last year, a few bad plays here and there (coaching?) and maybe it could have been)and his game decisions continue to be very questionable to the point that it costs us games then we may be seeing if someone else can do it next year. It's a big year for Dana with the new AD "getting a feel for everything".

Last edited:

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
bb....I think it's a laugher to say the B12 is better than the ACC. There will be up's and down's...and UT is way down and they are the flagship.

In the ACC, the Flagship is booming and add in Clemson's success and Duke's rise in football, there's nothing shabby about the ACC lately. The bowl record is pretty good since Cuse joined.

But like you said, I don't consider WV a loser because being stuck in the AAC would have been a disaster.

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How in the world can WV be a loser in this??...they will exceed 120 million in their athletic budget this year putting them in the upper echelon of college sports programs...they have a brand new basketball facility and if I am not mistaken a brand new baseball stadium, a new team meeting room...and that does not even scratch the surface of the R&D collaboration it has in place with Texas, OU, and Iowa State...its just not all about wins an losses on a football field....short sighted article to say the least.......

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
bb....I think it's a laugher to say the B12 is better than the ACC. There will be up's and down's...and UT is way down and they are the flagship.

In the ACC, the Flagship is booming and add in Clemson's success and Duke's rise in football, there's nothing shabby about the ACC lately. The bowl record is pretty good since Cuse joined.

But like you said, I don't consider WV a loser because being stuck in the AAC would have been a disaster.

Jonvi,

There are plenty of sources I can provide if you need help seeing where the ACC sits today…

RealTimeRPI.com College Football Power Ratings, Analysis, and Predictions - A leading sports ratings and resources community on the Internet

College football conference power rankings: Big 12 No. 1 ahead of SEC - College Football Nation Blog - ESPN

USA Today | Sports | NCAAF

You still laughing?

The ACC was so weak last year, an undefeated FSU continued to fall in the CFP rankings at season's end.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why shouldn't WVU expect at least a run at the conference right now? TCU has won it (well, at least half I guess) and KState has been a contender, have they been in the top 4 in recruiting?
We may well make a run this year, that's not being homeristic I just think the competition is close enough right now that with a little luck (which TCU had plenty of last year) and some great coaching (Big 12 demands your coach to be sound) then it's not unreasonable at all now that the two blue bloods are not at full song.

I think maybe the question is would a better coach have us in contention already. I know this, the clock is most definitely ticking with Dana, it's HIS team HIS recruits and players.If the team continues to make the mistakes that it has (I agree with you, I think we WERE close to having a special year last year, a few bad plays here and there (coaching?) and maybe it could have been)and his game decisions continue to be very questionable to the point that it costs us games then we may be seeing if someone else can do it next year. It's a big year for Dana with the new AD "getting a feel for everything".

WVU should expect to make a run. I would hope the kids are doing everything possible to get ready for one.

As a fan, I do not expect WVU to make a run.

KSU is the great exception to the rule. Snyder and his staff receive proper acknowledgement of identifying kids who can be developed into really good college football players. Once they get a hold of them, they have proven as a staff to coach them up good.

Texas is still building under Strong. But, I would not say OU is down. Have they met everyone's expectations recently? No. But, they have made a commitment to defense by bringing Mike back. And, now we'll see what the new offensive coaches can do for them. TCU made a huge jump in the first year of their new offensive staff.

Personally, I'm tired of discussing any question one has about WVU's coaching.

All one has to do is look at any year WVU has been a member of the Big 12… look at post-season all conference teams. Look at preseason all-conference teams.

WVU does not come close to the top of the conference… more like KU level…

DBAR4WVU

Blue & Gold until I die
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can argue either way as to how WVU stacks up in the B12.
They are the bottom or lower level vs. they are in upper level but have had bad breaks.

I think they are a good team with a good coach. They have not performed at their ability though.
So they have completed seasons in the middle. But each of those seasons could have been great
with a favorable bounce here and there. Or, they could have been much worse but for some favorable
bounces.....

Right now I see OU, Baylor and TCU as tier 1.
WV is second tier with Texas, K St and OK St.
Texas belongs in tier 1 - but their performance is not there - yet.

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can argue either way as to how WVU stacks up in the B12.
They are the bottom or lower level vs. they are in upper level but have had bad breaks.

I think they are a good team with a good coach. They have not performed at their ability though.
So they have completed seasons in the middle. But each of those seasons could have been great
with a favorable bounce here and there. Or, they could have been much worse but for some favorable
bounces.....

Right now I see OU, Baylor and TCU as tier 1.
WV is second tier with Texas, K St and OK St.
Texas belongs in tier 1 - but their performance is not there - yet.

I don't know..IMHO anyone..and the conference records will validate the point..it's a pretty evenly matched conference...except for Kansas..and even they can provide an upset or two...

Scapegoat

The iron never lies
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WVU was probably a better fit for the ACC but I'm glad to have them in the Big 12. I just wish we would have gotten Louisville and someone else in that region so they weren't so far away from every other school.

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it's a pretty evenly matched conference...except for Kansas..and even they can provide an upset or two..
No, ISU is usually the one team that pulls off the unexpected upset, Kansas is really irrelevant for 10-15 years then they'll be good for 4-5 years, rinse and repeat. :D

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WVU was probably a better fit for the ACC but I'm glad to have them in the Big 12. I just wish we would have gotten Louisville and someone else in that region so they weren't so far away from every other school.

For WV at least..if they stayed in the new AAC..the travel would have been worse...and even in the ACC it may be shorter to some extent in miles...but traveling to Miami, Syracuse, Tallahassee, Clemson, Louisville and even Rutgers takes the team and its fans just as long to get there then any location in the Big12..I mean for the teams in the north its a 5 to 6 hour car ride as well as Clemson, because your not flying there likely...So gas, parking and tolls versus airfare and cab fare its really no difference in cost...and you will be where you want to be a lot faster by plane!..Scapegoat, maybe you can tell all of us, I mean really are people traveling from Ames to Waco?...or from Dallas to Lubbuck? Or Norman to Lawrence or Manhattan??..It's 430 miles from Morgantown to Raleigh, the waypoint lets say for the heart of the ACC...and from Morgantown to say Syracuse is 432 miles.. Its not like the ACC schools are right around the corner either...