• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

WVU 91 Oklahoma 86 OT

WvuDieHard

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,954.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WV took it to the Sooners tonight early and often to build a 14 point lead in the first half. The 2nd half saw the Sooners claw back and take the lead by with 20 seconds left in regulation when Erin Harris banged another 3 to tie it and get us to OT. In OT, Harris kept firing and hitting shots as the Mountaineers outlasted the travel weary Sooners down the stretch. This is a big win for WV as they are now tied for 3rd place in the conference with a 6-4 record. Folks that is pretty good considering we are young and have little to no experience in the paint. I really think at this point you have to start thinking about a possible NCAA bid if you can 3 or 4 more games. My reasoning here is that if you finish .500 or better in the Big 12 ( maybe the toughest conference in the country this year) --you are gonna get consideration. Many tough ones coming up though so time will tell.

Key Stats: WV was led in scoring by Erin Harris with 28 including 6-13 from behind the arc and some were HUGE. Staten adds 20 and Henderson 17. WV wins the battle of the glass 46-44 thanks in part to Staten's 10 boards to lead the team. Jawan was 4 assists away from a triple double--gotta believe it is coming. WV has 9 steals on this evening to only 10 turnovers.

DIEHARDS DID YOU KNOW SEGMENT: Did you know WV had lost it's last 16 games to ranked opponents? Hard to believe that.

In conclusion, raise your hand if you are not excited about this team right now:clap:. When they get Holden and Macon in the mix with another year under their belt, the Big 12 better be ready for the Mountaineers. If they are going to be as good as I think they can be, they better bone up on how to stop long lanky penetrating guards. Those type of players have killed us for 5 years now. Gotta teach our bigs how to help out better. We did a great job in overtime by bringing out a double team beyond the arc instead of letting the dribbler work man to man after the switch. Maybe that should be the recipe. Glad to be back as I missed the last big upset over KS. I don't write about 'em if I don't see the game. This one was worth the price of admission. Have a great day Mountaineer fans wherever your icy road has taken you today!

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What we are seeing is what ALL teams should do when they receive effective coaching, they are coming together, finding each guys strengths, trusting each other to do what they need to do. The basketball team is a completely different team than they were in December. Good job guys, AND coaches.

yourTEAMreallySUCKS

Sooner, Cock, Rise Up
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice win for WV, but you guys do realize the weather delayed the Sooners. It took them 20 hrs to get there and they arrived 20 mins before tip off.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice win, good to see this young team putting things together. We are still a few players away from where we need to be but very encouraging from what we looked like last year and early this year.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice win for WV, but you guys do realize the weather delayed the Sooners. It took them 20 hrs to get there and they arrived 20 mins before tip off.

No shit?

I had no idea…

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotta teach our bigs how to help out better. We did a great job in overtime by bringing out a double team beyond the arc instead of letting the dribbler work man to man after the switch. Maybe that should be the recipe.

As Mark Packer would say on his radio show… "I agree with you 1,000 and 10%."

When WVU used their big to trap on the ball… I was screaming at the TV… "YES". Maybe… finally.. the freakin' light bulbs have turned on for our young boys.

These were the games our team was losing earlier in the year. Hopefully, they will continue to grow in confidence and pick off a couple more ranked opponents in conference play. Lord knows there will be plenty of opportunity to do so.

Toughest league in the country.

WvuDieHard

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,954.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well they didn't look like they had any "travel problems" erasing a 14 point lead and taking a 3 point lead with 30 seconds left in overtime. So every time we get beat at Okla, Okla. State, Texas, TT, KSU, Kansas, TCU we can just say jet lag and travel. I ain't buying that one. Just because you walk in the arena 90 minutes before tip off is not an excuse. These are young kids not 40 year olds getting ready for a rec game. WV lives and dies by the 3 point shot due to an inferior interior. Last night they survived on that 3 point shot. Otherwise, these teams looked pretty even.

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was a great game by both teams, some of those close L's early in the season are starting to pay off now. We are about 3 or 4 wins from being a bubbe team in my estimate, but wins like this sure do help.

Just think when we add those big men next year, this team should be well rounded.

MarkOU

License to Thrill
Hoopla Cash
$ 287.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well they didn't look like they had any "travel problems" erasing a 14 point lead and taking a 3 point lead with 30 seconds left in overtime. So every time we get beat at Okla, Okla. State, Texas, TT, KSU, Kansas, TCU we can just say jet lag and travel. I ain't buying that one. Just because you walk in the arena 90 minutes before tip off is not an excuse. These are young kids not 40 year olds getting ready for a rec game. WV lives and dies by the 3 point shot due to an inferior interior. Last night they survived on that 3 point shot. Otherwise, these teams looked pretty even.

We will chalk this one up to saying you've never been on a 20 hour trip. I have and its exhausting. For what it's worth I was 24, in the military and flew on the other side of the world. these kids boarded, de-boarded and boarded again and de-boarded again changing terminals, planes buses multiple times

Point is the game should have been postponed. Having taken 20 hours to travel from Norman to Morgantown then play the game is bullshit.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We will chalk this one up to saying you've never been on a 20 hour trip. I have and its exhausting. For what it's worth I was 24, in the military and flew on the other side of the world. these kids boarded, de-boarded and boarded again and de-boarded again changing terminals, planes buses multiple times

Point is the game should have been postponed. Having taken 20 hours to travel from Norman to Morgantown then play the game is bullshit.

I agree with you that the game should have been postponed.

But, such is life of travel in the month of February… especially this winter.

WVU has seen their fair share of travel woes. So, as a fan… we understand.

yourTEAMreallySUCKS

Sooner, Cock, Rise Up
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stop it. I think I "cow pie'd" my underwear!:laugh3:

Just think how nasty your underwear would be if you could read what it said!

:yahoo:

Totally kidding...... It was a good win for WV. My Sooners had a chance to win in the end and couldn't get it done. You guys were the better team last night and deserve this win. The travel thing sucks, but i guess it's something you have to deal with more so than anybody else. Good luck the rest of the season!

:suds:

john01992

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

while it SHOULD of been postponed I think it came down to the fans. when you delay a game you screw with the schedules of a couple 1000 people and 100s of workers.

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the game gets postponed, the Sooners have to make the trip again. Just be glad you only have to travel across the country for only one game.

Anyway, it is good to see these kids coming together and getting a good win and another bonus that we are 6-4 in the conference. I thought we would be a doormat of the conference. looks like we are holding our own. Good news for the future also.

DBAR4WVU

Blue & Gold until I die
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This was a great win for what is a very young and inexperienced team. They seem to be coming together as a unit and seem to have faith in each other to be doing what needs to be done. They are coming together at the right point in the season and, after losing 4 out of 5 - winning 3 in a row has them poised to make some waves in the B12 tourney. Their seed will be critical to them being able to win 1 or 2 games. IMO - that will be critical to getting asked to the big dance.

With 8 games to go, WV has 2 games with Kansas. IMO - Kansas is not performing at the same level as they were this time last season when WVU ALMOST pulled off the upset with a far less functioning team. IF WV can split - that will go a long way to a post season nod. Then there is Iowa St with 2 games. This team really scared me at the start of the season - and they still do. They have dropped only 4 games - all in-conference. They lost both to Kansas and fell @ OK and @ TX. The scores of these games were not particularly close, other than OK - but I think ISU will show what they are capable of and could beat both OK and TX at home. If WV can split with them, I will be happy.

Then there is Texas and Oklahoma on the road. After what happened last night, I am betting OK will be ready for us and we go down. As for Texas - who knows what will happen. They trounce really good teams (Kansas, ISU) and then struggle against lesser teams. But they win... so how does WV do? I think we return the loss at home in a big upset. Wishful thinking maybe.

Finally we get Baylor and TCU at home. I think we take both of them although Baylor, who I thought would have a great season this year, could surprise us if the team isn't ready.

So we go 5-3 in our last 8 or 4-4 to wind up 19 - 12 or 18 - 13. If this happens, I still feel we need to get to 20 wins to get that invite. So our tourney seed is critical to this teams post-season success. Whatever happens from here on - this team has been much easier to watch for me, even when losing - than last year's team. That was a painful train wreck of a season. If they can get a big man in the mix - this team will be a competative force in the B12 next year.

WvuDieHard

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,954.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Mark we have already been down the road of traveling with football and basketball. This is why the conference needs to expand and get a east/west division with a title game to cut down on the travel.

WvuDieHard

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,954.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Mark--thank for your service in the Military. Though you may not hear that enough, it is important that you hear from me and I think I speak for all WV fans with that comment.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just think how nasty your underwear would be if you could read what it said!

:

Totally kidding...... It was a good win for WV. My Sooners had a chance to win in the end and couldn't get it done. You guys were the better team last night and deserve this win. The travel thing sucks, but i guess it's something you have to deal with more so than anybody else. Good luck the rest of the season!

:suds:
Same type thing happened to our football team IMO in our first year when we went b2b weeks on the road to Texas and Tech killed us. My guess is all of the B12 members will feel the travel effects from time to time.