• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Would you rather?

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To back up the point, look at the 1997 national championship two undefeated badass teams Nebraska and Michigan are both declared champs, one in AP and the other in the Coaches. It would have been a terrific game to see who really was the best.

Oh, so your example is one that the BCS would have taken care of?

We need 8 teams because the top2 didn't play in 1997?

I wonder how much dumber you guys are going to get in your arguments.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To add to this, you could make it VERY interesting by having promotion demotion tier system (like in soccer). Will never happen but would make for an intense season!

So take your ass and go watch soccer.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You do know that baylor and tcu had a legitimate claim to the playoffs in 2014 too right? I understand this can keep going.

I personally think we NEED more, but I do think it would be better.

No they didn't either. Baylor played a pathetic schedule and had no claim on 1st place.

So now we are just going to say any team that had a claim on 4th place deserves to be in the playoffs? So then we move to 8, and now there are going to be 5 teams that have claims on 8th and all you did was make things worse.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't worry, Alabama would still have one.

We'd probably have more than we do actually, but that doesn't mean it's better.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never said I thought the polls got it so wrong or that it could or would happen. Hypothetical question posed would you rather and i gave my hypothetical preference to what I would rather instead of going to 8 teams.

So you're another person with a solution to a problem that doesn't exist?

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1 Alabama
8 Wisconsin

2 Ohio State
7 Louisville

3 Clemson
6 Texas A&M

4 Michigan
5 Washington

If the season ended today. Yeah, I know the teams would have to play ccg, but for argument sakes, the potential for bad ass football is there.

So are we pretending that many of these games wouldn't happen anyway because we still have bowl games?

Bitties&Teer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So are we pretending that many of these games wouldn't happen anyway because we still have bowl games?
Fail+troll+is+fail+_1b7bd101b355759e77497b8fb4809ac1.jpg

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It doesn't really matter if you want to admit it or not, top10 teams face each other in bowl games every year.

Last year:

#5 vs #6 in the Rose Bowl.

#7 vs #8 in the Fiesta Bowl.

#1 vs #4 in playoffs

#2 vs #3 in playoffs.

And yet, here you are ignorantly claiming that we need a playoff to get these matches.

BamaDude

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To answer the original question: I would rather stay at four teams than expand to eight.

If, after the first few years of the playoffs, the committee feels there are legitimate contenders beyond the top four being left out on a regular basis, then I could see expanding it to six teams, but no further.

A six team playoff would begin the week after the Army-Navy game, with #3 playing host to #6 and #4 playing host to #5. The 4/5 winner would then play the #1 team in a New Year's bowl game and the 3/6 winner would do the same against the #2 team. There would be no automatic qualifying for conference champions, just as there is none now. Each team has to earn its way in.

Tigity

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have any of you 8 team guys actually looked and realized that in many cases the other teams will just be the loser of conference championship games, and/or another team that lost to conference champion and were in the same division as them?

All to fix a problem that doesn't even exist.
There is a problem. No teams outsider the p5 will ever make the playoff under this format. Now if we one day went to 4 16 or 20 team conferences as a subdivision 4 would be fine because the conference championship game would be a defacto 8 team playoff and everyone would have a chance to get there. With a 100 or so teams in the FBS shutting half of them out of the system is wrong.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not Bama vs USC and ND vs Texas.

OU has consistently scheduled a Top 20 All time and a Mid Major under Stoops watch
I agree I love seeing games like these. But USC has scheduled top 20 and Min Majors consistently before the playoffs as well. Notre Dame every year along with. Home and homes with top 20 Nebraska teams.Home and Homes with top 10 Ohio State teams. Arkansas,Fresno State when they were a top 20 team. Arkansas,Virginia Tech..... SC has still never played an FCS team.

I have to give credit to some teams scheduling before the playoff system. But this year has had one hell of a slate of great games as well

Jekku

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No they didn't either. Baylor played a pathetic schedule and had no claim on 1st place.

So now we are just going to say any team that had a claim on 4th place deserves to be in the playoffs? So then we move to 8, and now there are going to be 5 teams that have claims on 8th and all you did was make things worse.

Same things we heard about Ohio State. "No team that lost to bad Va Tech has any claim to a title". How do you know Baylor would not have won? The fact is you don't.

While you are certainly entitled to your opinion, you just keep saying I (and others) have no argument while ignoring some of the points of what people say. It's quite funny.. It would seem you are in the minority though. Seem's like most people agree with adding a few more teams.

Oh and the soccer comment was not meant to be serious (didnt I say it would never happen). Be fun if it did but never will. So you don't need to get so upset over that ;) .

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Same things we heard about Ohio State. "No team that lost to bad Va Tech has any claim to a title". How do you know Baylor would not have won? The fact is you don't.

While you are certainly entitled to your opinion, you just keep saying I (and others) have no argument while ignoring some of the points of what people say. It's quite funny.. It would seem you are in the minority though. Seem's like most people agree with adding a few more teams.

Oh and the soccer comment was not meant to be serious (didnt I say it would never happen). Be fun if it did but never will. So you don't need to get so upset over that ;) .

Neither Ohio St nor Baylor had a claim on the #1 spot going into the playoffs. Ohio St was a team that improved as the year went on and got hot with a QB coming in that nobody at the time was ready to defend.

Ohio St made the best of an opportunity that was given to them by having an empty spot. Congrats to them, but their success doesn't somehow justify the addition of more teams.

You are arguing over not who has a legitimate claim to the 1st spot, but on who has a claim on the 4th spot.

If you think claims on the 4th spot are this difficult, do you understand that the further down the list you go, the more ambiguous it gets? Because if you look at the way people do their polls, you usually see pretty decent agreement in the first couple of ranks. And the further down the list you go, the more different it gets.

Lets assume we expand to 8. If the 8th place team happens to win one year, does it somehow justify the addition of adding 8 more teams because of the large number of teams who had a claim on the 8th spot?

No it doesn't. Because it's a claim on the 4th and 8th spots, not a claim on the 1st spot.

Hang_On_Sloopy08

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1 of the 12 regular season games is an FCS opponent. If they want to keep the regular season totally "sacred", those games wouldn't be scheduled.

Face palm again. I can't help you.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Face palm again. I can't help you.
There's a face palm available....:L...and I can't help you if you think the regular season is sacred now and wouldn't be if the playoffs are expanded.

The same shit was used when the playoffs expanded to four teams. And the regular season became MORE important, not less.

"The regular season sacred bullshit" is nothing but propaganda promoted by big money bowls.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just think about this for a second guys. There are 5 major FBS conferences. Winning any one of them is a difficult task and IMO is enough to say a team deserves to compete for the National Title. That being the case I can't think of a scenario where the playoff doesn't go to 8 teams eventually. It just makes sense.

Automatic berths for each P5 conference champ with 3 at-large bids. Maybe reserve one for the highest ranked G5 champion as long as they meet certain criteria.

That alone will stop a lot of the whining about who should and shouldn't get in. Mad your team got left out? Well, they should have won their conference. Did your team go undefeated all year and then lay an egg in the CCG? Well good news, it's likely they'll get an at-large.

This shit just makes too much sense. It's inevitably going to happen. Accept it.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just think about this for a second guys. There are 5 major FBS conferences. Winning any one of them is a difficult task and IMO is enough to say a team deserves to compete for the National Title. That being the case I can't think of a scenario where the playoff doesn't go to 8 teams eventually. It just makes sense.

Automatic berths for each P5 conference champ with 3 at-large bids. Maybe reserve one for the highest ranked G5 champion as long as they meet certain criteria.

That alone will stop a lot of the whining about who should and shouldn't get in. Mad your team got left out? Well, they should have won their conference. Did your team go undefeated all year and then lay an egg in the CCG? Well good news, it's likely they'll get an at-large.

This shit just makes too much sense. It's inevitably going to happen. Accept it.

5 conferences with only 4 spots is the entire reason it works so well right now.