• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Would you rather have Mike Trout with current contract or the first overall pick in next 5 drafts?

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My 12 year old team after winning the league championship View attachment 100157
I hit .472 that year and batted third in the lineup, playing right field and first base. I don't know my OBP/SLG WAR because this happened in the late 2000's, where advanced statistics weren't mainstream in MLB much less little league. After that, I was on the district all-star team, hitting 5th in the lineup. We finished third in the state, and the team that won the state championship (Brandywine) went on to appear on ESPN in the LLWS. So again, you're talking out of your ass
I stand corrected, you must really be the end all of baseball knowledge you think you are:wash:

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Without hesitation I'd take the picks. So much can happen to a player good or bad. I'd rather roll 5 amazing dice than 1 weighted die. Odds are if your team's scouts are any good, you are getting 2 players who are younger than Trout who will be the backbone of your team for a long time. Will they be Trout? Unlikely. But you also have 3 more swings at great prospects.

Trouts over/under is probably closer to 3 imo regardless of things like WAR.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I stand corrected, you must really be the end all of baseball knowledge you think you are:wash:
Again, never said that. I just favor the usage of quantitative statistics over some bullshit like "rotational" vs. "linear" swings (by the way, what were you even implying by that? Plenty of different players have used both swings. Are you saying Correa is like A-Rod because his swing is linear? Is Craig Counsell comparable to A-Rod then? And how does that make a player better or worse?)

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, never said that. I just favor the usage of quantitative statistics over some bullshit like "rotational" vs. "linear" swings (by the way, what were you even implying by that? Plenty of different players have used both swings. Are you saying Correa is like A-Rod because his swing is linear? Is Craig Counsell comparable to A-Rod then? And how does that make a player better or worse?)
I was simply wondering if you even knew the difference lol

Bolts

Depressed Sports Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,019.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We've seen with the Angels that you need more than a Megastar like Trout to win division titles and postseason games. Although the Padres have made some stupid choices in the draft before, I'll take the #1 pick 5x over. Odds are you won't draft a Trout or even a Harper in those 5, but as long as I can get at least 2 all star caliber hitters and 1 all star caliber SP I'd be happy. I could end up with 4 Tim beckams, but I could also get a Correa, a Price, a Cole, and an Upton. Trout is the sure thing which is why I'm not surprised people would choose him, but he can't do it all himself.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually most everyone said it's dependent on a team's current bearings, which I agreed with.
What bearings Omar? Five #1's overall? I don't think the Nat's would trade Bryce Harper straight up for Trout. The Astro's MIGHT trade Correa for Trout, and the Bucs might trade Cole, but they Damn sure wouldn't trade both of them and 3 more guaranteed #1 overall picks for him. No freaking way.
Sports are filled with multiple picks for one player trades...Vikings got HWalker from the Cowboys, the Pokes got 3 Rings .The Skins gave up a few #1's for RG3....so on. Trout is a great player, but the package you are talking about is fantasy GM BS

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We've seen with the Angels that you need more than a Megastar like Trout to win division titles and postseason games. Although the Padres have made some stupid choices in the draft before, I'll take the #1 pick 5x over. Odds are you won't draft a Trout or even a Harper in those 5, but as long as I can get at least 2 all star caliber hitters and 1 all star caliber SP I'd be happy. I could end up with 4 Tim beckams, but I could also get a Correa, a Price, a Cole, and an Upton. Trout is the sure thing which is why I'm not surprised people would choose him, but he can't do it all himself.
100% this. You can post all the advanced stats in the world, but the only one that matters is how many games the Angels win per year with Trout. One man can't do it all

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
100% this. You can post all the advanced stats in the world, but the only one that matters is how many games the Angels win per year with Trout. One man can't do it all

I think one man could do it.. if that one man was the milk man...

Bolts

Depressed Sports Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,019.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean it's not on Trout for their losing, I'd blame the Angels for giving out stupid contracts to Pujols, Hamilton, and Wilson. But you need some depth in a lineup and rotation to win not just the best player in MLB.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My high school team winning the 2012 state championship. I was on JV that year, and got derailed later in high school and never appeared on varsity.
View attachment 100161
Ummm....Omar.......I think you might have stretched it/lied one more time.....You said very clearly that you played for 15 years of baseball....yet, after proudly posting a picture of your little league team(lol), you posted this picture of your High School's State Championship team from 2012....which you didn't actually play for(you were on JV that year getting derailed...your words).
A couple of conclusions can be made from all this. Number one, the current year is 2016, which means that even if you were a SR in 2012(which would make you a SR on JV, meaning a scrub), your current age, at most, is 22. It is possible that you were a 9th, 10th or 11th grader, which would make your current age 21, 20 or 19. Either way, it begs the question...how did you play for 15 years? If you were on the JV as a SR, you certainly never played in college. Are you counting swinging a little Nerf bat when you were 6 months old at one of those little baby balls? It also concludes that the only coaching you've done is from your XBox Live fantasy GM at home. No wonder you're so full of crap...you're just a kid LOL

Last edited:

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ummm....Omar.......I think you might have stretched it/lied one more time.....You said very clearly that you played for 15 years of baseball....yet, after proudly posting a picture of your little league team(lol), you posted this picture of your High School's State Championship team....which you didn't actually play for(you were on JV that year getting derailed...your words).
A couple of conclusions can be made from all this. Number one, the current year is 2016, which means that even if you were a SR in 2012(which would make you a SR on JV, meaning a scrub), your current age, at most, is 22. It is possible that you were a 9th, 10th or 11th grader, which would make your current age 21, 20 or 19. Either way, it begs the question...how did you play for 15 years? If you were on the JV as a SR, you certainly never played in college. Are you counting swinging a little Nerf bat when you were 6 months old at one of those little baby ball? It also concludes that the only coaching you've done is from your XBox Live fantasy GM at home. No wonder you're so full of crap...you're just a kid LOL
I started t-ball around 4 or 5, so yeah 15 years.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't consider fostering an interest in the game at a young age playing baseball? Do you have to play for a D1 to be considered a baseball player?
Anyway, I was just saying that I did indeed play baseball, which is besides the point since I affirm that you don't need to play the game to understand it. What do you think of Bill James? He sure wasn't playing any college baseball

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Playstation trade....

Too many stats and numbers in there for me. Keep it simple. Trout is great and a 5+ tool player if you can possibly have more than 5.

But if you just hit on 2 stud pitchers, you've got a hella rotation for years. Hit on a SS? OF too?

By now, we've seen what wins world series. It's pitching and timely hitting.

And don't bark at Albert Pujols and put him in the same convo as CJ and Josh Ham dammit. :gaah: At least AP hit 40 HRs last year with Aybar hitting behind him. Guy needs some help too. But if the Angels had some pitching, look out. Weaver could barely throw 85 last year.

The good thing is those crazy angel contracts are like Minnesota giving $10-12 million contracts.